Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Re: Methanol... Take 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I am totally interested in what you are doing. It runs very close to the set-up I have on my supercharged car. At the moment mine runs standard compression and about 4.5 to 5 lbs boost. The plan is for 9 or 10 lbs, maybe go to 12, but no more.

I have a couple of observations, so bear with me if you have already factored and adjusted for these. Your info will help me.

1: Your software is set to switch on fluid injection with a 2V MAP signal. This presumably is because the kit is for Prezzers that use Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors, where our SVX uses the Mass Air Flow method. Have you checked if the 2 volt point for the MAF is around the same engine load as the 2 volt position using a MAP? Or do you think it is not relevant? Or maybe have you changed over to using a MAP sensor?

2: You mention that windscreen washer fluid is 50/50 methanol and water, and you plan to use this. Just a small observation, but I think if the windscreen fluid uses even a tiny amount of detergent, then the resulting mix will not vaporize under injection pressure into the required small droplets in your manifold. This in turn will affect the quality of your cooling. It might in fact send in a dribble of froth into your engine and perform very little cooling at all.
1: MAP and MAF are equivalent 0-5V systems. 2v on a MAP = 2v on a MAF. I have been looking into this a lot.

2: I am going to get pure methanol and dilute it myself.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

I just got home with the kit. It is minus the software so I will have to call coolingmist tomorrow to get that. As it stands now I will only get injection after a predetermined boost setting. I want to be able to program it so it works from a pressure sensor and a RPM sensor....

P.S. It is a very high quality kit from looking at the various components.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777

Good luck with it this time around. Too bad I can't come over and help out again...

Good times.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
1: MAP and MAF are equivalent 0-5V systems. 2v on a MAP = 2v on a MAF. I have been looking into this a lot.

2: I am going to get pure methanol and dilute it myself.
Yes, I'm aware both read the range 0-5V, so the system will pump in at 2V regardless what sensor you read from.

When you state "2V on a MAP = 2V on a MAF", do you mean by this statement that the engine will be at the same [or roughly similar] point of load at this point, regardless of which sensor you are using? Because this was the question I asked.

I'm glad you are using pure fluids. No point taking chances after all this expense. It looks a classy kit.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware both read the range 0-5V, so the system will pump in at 2V regardless what sensor you read from.

When you state "2V on a MAP = 2V on a MAF", do you mean by this statement that the engine will be at the same [or roughly similar] point of load at this point, regardless of which sensor you are using? Because this was the question I asked.

I'm glad you are using pure fluids. No point taking chances after all this expense. It looks a classy kit.

Joe
Joe raises a good point here... I would have suggested you got a kit compatible with a 300zx... Considering thats the meter you are using

Tom
Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Maybe I am not understanding the question then... A MAF signal and a MAP signal are equal throught their ranges of 0-5v. When a MAF reads 1.7v a MAP would read 1.7v or any other signal amount throughout that range. Every kit in this style comes with the ability to read either MAF or MAP signal inputs as they are one in the same.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Yes Bobby, I appreciate what you are saying. On the face of it maybe they are equivalent across the range, and the 2V point in either case is actually just a rough guide to where you let the cooling fluid start injecting.

The point behind the question I suppose is about the MAP set-up. Subaru turbo cars use a MAP setup these days. I suspect they are a more reliable monitor on what is happening at the intake. What I'm wondering is whether it would be a better approach to add a MAP sensor to the SVX engine and feed the MAP signal to the ECU, if, as appears to be the case, it is the better system to use?

Any thoughts Tom?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-06-2008, 08:57 AM

Well I will be tapping the manifold pressure to what I guess you could call a MAP sensor built into the computer on the pump. The "MAP" sensor will read the boost level and when in the proper range along with RPM's it will then inject.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Yes Bobby, I appreciate what you are saying. On the face of it maybe they are equivalent across the range, and the 2V point in either case is actually just a rough guide to where you let the cooling fluid start injecting.

The point behind the question I suppose is about the MAP set-up. Subaru turbo cars use a MAP setup these days. I suspect they are a more reliable monitor on what is happening at the intake. What I'm wondering is whether it would be a better approach to add a MAP sensor to the SVX engine and feed the MAP signal to the ECU, if, as appears to be the case, it is the better system to use?

Any thoughts Tom?

Joe
I have always prefered a MAP sensor as opposed to the MAF. While less accurate at reading density it is more accurate at monitoring engine load. I would love to convert to a MAP sensor but w/o the ability to re-write the code to accept the values of the MAP I cannot do it. To say that a 2v signal from a MAF is the same load data as a 2v signal from a MAP is wrong. It all depends on how the ECU interprets the load. a 2v signal from the MAF could be equal to a 1v signal from a MAP.

Tom
Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Well I will be tapping the manifold pressure to what I guess you could call a MAP sensor built into the computer on the pump. The "MAP" sensor will read the boost level and when in the proper range along with RPM's it will then inject.
This is what needs to be done. Good that the kit has this function

Tom
Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I have always prefered a MAP sensor as opposed to the MAF. While less accurate at reading density it is more accurate at monitoring engine load. I would love to convert to a MAP sensor but w/o the ability to re-write the code to accept the values of the MAP I cannot do it. To say that a 2v signal from a MAF is the same load data as a 2v signal from a MAP is wrong. It all depends on how the ECU interprets the load. a 2v signal from the MAF could be equal to a 1v signal from a MAP.

Tom
Apparently not with Subarus. I spoke with someone at coolingmist and they said that Subarus that have MAFs and Subarus that have MAPs will all work. You tap one of the wires running from either your MAP or MAF as Subarus have equivalent "load datas" on both the MAP and MAF systems...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM

I honestly do not know though. I am only repeating what has been told to me...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Well... This delayed my day today...

But I did get the tank installed and finally got the 9psi pulley on but the above mentioned problem is still occuring.

The tank:
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bobby,
what, exactly, is going on with the timing belt?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Not the timing belt, my blower belt. It keeps walking off the front by one rib.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5