Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Keyless entry

When unlocking the door, how do you know when to begin entering the next digit? Does the buzzer sound after you've paused long enough?

And where is the buzzer? Inside the door?

Did anyone else catch that the second page shows a picture of a LH door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I have a slightly different version of this Earl. Do you want to go belt and braces and include both How-Tos?
(I'll answer for him ) Yes, absolutely! The more information, the better.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
When unlocking the door, how do you know when to begin entering the next digit? Does the buzzer sound after you've paused long enough?

And where is the buzzer? Inside the door?

Did anyone else catch that the second page shows a picture of a LH door?

(I'll answer for him ) Yes, absolutely! The more information, the better.

I actually have two versions; I have one I got from Paul in Japan when I had my first JDM car. It is slightly different in that it's explained by somebody actually going through the motions, meeting the same problems you or I might find.

The second one I have is from my JDM Legacy TT. The system is exactly the same.

I'll scan and upload both for Earl.

In answer to your first question, it beeps once it recognises one of the coded numbers you input into the memory.

As an example, 2356:
  • Lift twice, wait for beep
  • Lift three times, wait for beep
  • Lift five times, wait for beep
  • Lift six times, wait for beep
The system will now recognise the correct 4-digit code has been input. It sounds the buzzer, then the vehicle unlocks.

And yes, the doorlocks on both sides of the car have the sensor and can be unlocked without the key.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I actually have two versions; I have one I got from Paul in Japan when I had my first JDM car. It is slightly different in that it's explained by somebody actually going through the motions, meeting the same problems you or I might find.

The second one I have is from my JDM Legacy TT. The system is exactly the same.

I'll scan and upload both for Earl.

In answer to your first question, it beeps once it recognises one of the coded numbers you input into the memory.

As an example, 2356:
  • Lift three times, wait for beep
  • Lift five times, wait for beep
  • Lift six times, wait for beep
The system will now recognise the correct 4-digit code has been input. It sounds the buzzer, then the vehicle unlocks.

And yes, the doorlocks on both sides of the car have the sensor and can be unlocked without the key.

Joe

actually, for me only the driver side door has this feature

the beep is pretty quiet, and you wont need to pause too long to hear it
also, after the 4th digit is successfully inputted, its a quick double-beep, and the doors unlock

if you fail to put in a correct combo, you will hear a long single beep. if u hear 3 or 4 (not rlly sure) of these then the system will be inert for 5 minutes, from what i've read

that info is for a 91 JDM
Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
I have a slightly different version of this Earl. Do you want to go belt and braces and include both How-Tos?

Joe
Sure - send them to me.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM

Registered SVX

I always wondered why my JDM SVX would beep just after i locked my door. must be that keyless locking thing

How do you find out the correct 4-digit code?
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 04-05-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
... it beeps once it recognises one of the coded numbers you input into the memory.

As an example, 2356:
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
The instructions don't show any way to read back the code once it's been programmed, so you could only get it by opening the door. They also say that the module may clear the code when the battery is disconnected, so there's a good chance your car doesn't have a code any longer.

You could simply erase whatever is currently there and program a new code, by following the "registration" procedure (starting on the bottom of page 2-4 of the instructions from oab_au's locker).

If it does still have a code, with a little patience you could "pick" the combination...
  • Lift the handle 1 time, wait for "digit confirmation" beep.
  • If no beep, wait for the "timeout" period (5 seconds), and try the next higher number (2, 3, 4, ..., up to 10).
  • After the 5th incorrect try, you'll need to wait 5 minutes before continuing.
As soon as you hear the beep confirming the first digit, go on to the 2nd digit, etc.

If I were ever to program one of these, I'd tend to stay away from the higher digits and zero (ten "clicks")
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
I always wondered why my JDM SVX would beep just after i locked my door. must be that keyless locking thing

Unless the previous owner wrote it down for you on some of the transfer paperwork, trying to decipher it by trial and error seems to me to be a long-winded affair, and not worth the effort.

Disconnecting the battery may erase the code anyway, depending how long it was without power, so you might presume if any work has been done on your car with the battery out, the originally entered code has reset itself to factory value or been erased.

[Inputting the code 2222 cancels any code programmed in there. The numbers you put in will not now open the car.]

For security, if you have a working code operating your doors, after any garage work where they may have disconnected your battery, you should always see if your code still works. Otherwise some day you have lost or possibly locked in the key, you could find the PIN code system non operational just when you need it.

So, my advice would be to input 2222 into the system*, which will clear any previous unknown code. Then follow the steps for programming in your own unique code. That will save a lot of messing around.

Joe

* with the doors locked, I think

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
so you might presume ... the originally entered code has reset itself to factory value or been erased.
I would hope the factory value is "empty." If it were to reset to some default number, thieves could know what that was. And I suspect that Subaru made identical modules and didn't custom-program each one with a unique "factory default" code number.

Quote:
So, my advice would be to input 2222 into the system*, which will clear any previous unknown code. Then follow the steps for programming in your own unique code.
* with the doors locked, I think
The 2222 code is simply a way to replace the current code with an "empty" one (so it will no longer be possible to unlock using this method). From the instructions that oab_au posted, I don't think it's necessary to use 2222 just to change to another code. You can simply go straight to programming in the new code.

The instructions mention leaving the door open and turning the Ignition key to "ON". That will unlock your doors, of course. They don't mention (and I doubt you need to) relock the door for this procedure.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM

just for clarity, a single beep does not constitue a correct number
it merely says that its recieved the input. its not saying whether its right/wrong

as for reprogramming, its door open, switch to on, hold handle up untill it starts to beep repeatedly
then program step by step, waiting for the beeps etc
then when it starts to beep repeateadly (after your 4th digit)
you re-input your new code to "confirm"
then you're set
Old 04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I would hope the factory value is "empty." If it were to reset to some default number, thieves could know what that was. And I suspect that Subaru made identical modules and didn't custom-program each one with a unique "factory default" code number.
"the originally entered code has reset itself to factory value or been erased."

I fired off this reply in a hurry, and it was careless of me to use the phrase "reset itself to factory value" when erased was sufficient and the correct term. I will point out that I actually said "factory value" which is empty memory and made no mention of or allusion to a default code number.

Quote:
The 2222 code is simply a way to replace the current code with an "empty" one (so it will no longer be possible to unlock using this method). From the instructions that oab_au posted, I don't think it's necessary to use 2222 just to change to another code. You can simply go straight to programming in the new code.
Yes, this is what the 2222 code is for, clearing the memory. I'm pretty sure your second statement is not correct, I'll explain why in the next comment

Quote:
The instructions mention leaving the door open and turning the Ignition key to "ON". That will unlock your doors, of course. They don't mention (and I doubt you need to) relock the door for this procedure.
I think the reason that they don't mention locking the doors [or other re-setting procedure] is because it is presumed in the owners manual that the keyless entry computer memory is empty as default from the factory and the original owner will be the first to input a 4-digit code.

However:

Both Harvey's two pages from the SVX manual and the two pages I have from the Legacy manual outline a means of re-addressing the memory when there already is a stored 4-digit code or any incorrect number registered in there. And although they both have slightly different "re-set" procedures, neither could be interpreted as being simply a matter of re-doing the initial registration procedure, and that this will over-write the code already stored there. Which I think is what you suggest David when you say "and I doubt you need to"?

In the case of Harvey's SVX manual and procedure, on page 2-5 they state and I quote:
"If you make a mistake during registration, turn the ignition to ACC and resume the procedure from the beginning"
It is my belief that this implies it requires a second process to reject any current number of input codes, from 1 to 4, before registering new codes in the memory. The computer needs to see "First Number", "Second Number" and so on in that order, without previous numbers in the system.

In the case of the Legacy procedure, it is stated more clearly:
"Should you program the wrong PIN into the system: To cancel this number you must follow the same steps as in 'putting the system into recording mode' on page 23 except the doors must be locked. Then you can re-program from the start again"

Note that both mention a new process or step, followed by inputting the new code from the beginning.

The SVX procedure is slightly different from the Legacy door locking trick to re-set the PIN.

This is why I suggested using the 2222 code to clear the memory is probably the cleanest and most direct way to in-put a new code.

It would, however, be interesting if somebody who already has a 4-digit code installed and working tried to input a new set of digits, without first clearing the memory. My prediction is there will be bleeping chaos.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post

as for reprogramming, its door open, switch to on, hold handle up untill it starts to beep repeatedly
then program step by step, waiting for the beeps etc
then when it starts to beep repeateadly (after your 4th digit)
you re-input your new code to "confirm"
then you're set
Ah! Interesting.

As per the last paragraph in my previous post; have you already done this "reprogramming" when there definitely was already a working code in the memory?

Or do you know for certain if the memory was empty when you put your first code in there?

That is the question.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Ah! Interesting.

As per the last paragraph in my previous post; have you already done this "reprogramming" when there definitely was already a working code in the memory?

Or do you know for certain if the memory was empty when you put your first code in there?

That is the question.
having just bought the car, and discovered this bonus... i cant say whether there was anything in the memory or not

however, during no time was the battery completely dead from what i can tell.
it was severely drained when i first picked up the car, after it sat in a lot for a couple weeks (post pacific crossing)
but it still turned over w/o a jump

i may reset the code at some future point to sate this curiosity of yours
although i doubt it would have any adverse effect. the manual makes no mention of problems with overwriting a code. it just brazenly forges forth into a reprogramming!

not to mention whoever wrote the 'script' for that module likely did not waste time coding extra lines to prevent an over-write
Old 04-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post

i may reset the code at some future point to sate this curiosity of yours
although i doubt it would have any adverse effect. the manual makes no mention of problems with overwriting a code. it just brazenly forges forth into a reprogramming!
Thanks Alcyone. That would scratch the itch.

However, if you do decide to reset the code to see what happens, do ensure you reset to a new 4 digit PIN. Otherwise it may just run through a series of "acceptances" of the existing number set, and never get to a Problem! Reject!.... mode.

When I first set the code for my Claret car I used the 2222 code to wipe the memory before starting. I would suspect your Japanese exporters may have input this code while your car was in their hands if they had no record of the previous owner PIN codes, that's what the 2222 number is for, and all the JDM dealers would know this.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
In the case of Harvey's SVX manual and procedure, on page 2-5 they state and I quote:
Quote:
"If you make a mistake during registration, turn the ignition to ACC and resume the procedure from the beginning"
It is my belief that this implies it requires a second process to reject any current number of input codes, from 1 to 4, before registering new codes in the memory.
I think the module is actually more simple-minded than that. Since step (2) is 'turn ignition switch to ON', the user needs to move the key back to ACC to be able to fulfill step 2 on the next try. So there isn't a second process.

Now in the Legacy instructions...
Quote:
"Should you program the wrong PIN into the system: To cancel this number you must follow the same steps as in 'putting the system into recording mode' on page 23 except the doors must be locked. Then you can re-program from the start again"
...they do seem to be adding an additional requirement (however, does the 'put system into recording mode' procedure include unlocking the doors? Then that would be similar to needing to move the key back to ACC).

Quote:
The computer needs to see "First Number", "Second Number" and so on in that order, without previous numbers in the system.
I agree with Alcyone that the module's firmware likely doesn't care what (if any) digits were stored previously. I think it will let you begin the process of registering a new number at any time (as long as you correctly follow the door open, ignition key, and door handle requirements).

But we'll know for certain when Alcyone tests it. Code 1112 would go in pretty quickly
Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks Alcyone. That would scratch the itch.

However, if you do decide to reset the code to see what happens, do ensure you reset to a new 4 digit PIN. Otherwise it may just run through a series of "acceptances" of the existing number set, and never get to a Problem! Reject!.... mode.

When I first set the code for my Claret car I used the 2222 code to wipe the memory before starting. I would suspect your Japanese exporters may have input this code while your car was in their hands if they had no record of the previous owner PIN codes, that's what the 2222 number is for, and all the JDM dealers would know this.

Joe
while i love the japanese for their extra goodies and cool features
i fear your last statement gives them too much credit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: