SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
F.Y.I. - Insurance - Modern Classic

After reading the increasing number of posts regarding low insurance value for salvage cars I spoke with my insurance company (Primmum) which insures across Canada.

They advised that they will only issue "Antique" insurance which yields reduced rates if the car has "Antique Plates" issued by the DMV. The reduced rates reflect the restricted use demanded of the plates.

HOWEVER, they have a designation of insurance called "Modern Classic" which has no restrictions on vehicle useage. There is also no break on premiums.

BUT, and this is a big but, This designation allows you to set a replacement value for your vehicle. All you need to do is get an appraisal from a recognized appraiser and file it with the insurance company. This value would over ride the book value normally used in the event of a claim. Also most insurance companies here will not offer collision or comprehensive on vehicles over 10 years old, unless the policy was in effect before they reached that age. With the "Modern Classic" designation that problem is overcome.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: F.Y.I. - Insurance - Modern Classic

Sounds like a great alternative for those that still need to drive their SVXes many miles a year. Wonder how many insurance companies offer something like this?

Where do you find a "recognized appraiser" and what do they base their values on? Aren't they basically the ones that determine the values for the books? Real world SVX sales generally aren't higher than book value either, how would you get the appraiser to value your car for more?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Re: F.Y.I. - Insurance - Modern Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
Sounds like a great alternative for those that still need to drive their SVXes many miles a year. Wonder how many insurance companies offer something like this?

Where do you find a "recognized appraiser" and what do they base their values on? Aren't they basically the ones that determine the values for the books? Real world SVX sales generally aren't higher than book value either, how would you get the appraiser to value your car for more?
I would imagine the hardest part is finding an Approved Appraiser.
I just spoke with my StateFarmer, and he said, yes...
Limited to 1000 miles per year. Must be show quality. The value is determined by "Stated Value" tho, and requires an appraiser. Plus, the Insurer has to agree with the Stated Value.
Of course, if you understate, then you can come out in the raw if it takes more to fix later.
"The cost is significantly lower than normal coverage, because the car is understood to not be in use near as much as normal".
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles