Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 AM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via AIM to jokethis89
Question 5 mt wiring questions....

I am finishing up a five speed swap in my '95 (with a '98 Legacy Outback trans,) and i have been referencing Tom's write-up (which has been very helpful, especially the pics as I bought what I thought was a small-car cross member that ended up with mount holes in mid-air next to nothing...) and I have some questions with the wiring.

1. Speed Sensor: Theres a plug coming through the firewall on the pass. side that plugged into the A/T right behind the bellhousing with 3 wires (yellow/orange, purple/white, orange/yellow,) and 3 wires coming off the pass side of the M/T that are green/black, red/black, black/red. Are those the correct wires and if so in what order do i connect them?

2. Reverse: There is a sensor where the shifter linkage goes into the M/T that i would imagine is the reverse sensor.. the wires are both black coming off the M/T but after the plug (from the Legacy) the wires are green/black and black/red, and if they are reverse wires where do they go in the auto harness?

3. ?? There are two more wires coming off the M/T just forward of the Reverse?? sensor that are both red/yellow on the M/T and then tan/yellow and black/yellow after the Legacy plug. What are those and do i need them/where do they go?

4. Neutral safety Switch: In toms write-up he says to connect the top switch from the clutch to the blue/white and black/yellow wire in the A/T harness which makes perfect sense.. if i could find a blue/white wire in the A/T harness, i could only find a solid blue wire, but it was beside a black/yellow one so i guess its the right one?

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is the best if i have ever wondered something about the SVX its been on here!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 5 mt wiring questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokethis89 View Post
I am finishing up a five speed swap in my '95 (with a '98 Legacy Outback trans,) and i have been referencing Tom's write-up (which has been very helpful, especially the pics as I bought what I thought was a small-car cross member that ended up with mount holes in mid-air next to nothing...) and I have some questions with the wiring.

1. Speed Sensor: Theres a plug coming through the firewall on the pass. side that plugged into the A/T right behind the bellhousing with 3 wires (yellow/orange, purple/white, orange/yellow,) and 3 wires coming off the pass side of the M/T that are green/black, red/black, black/red. Are those the correct wires and if so in what order do i connect them?

The 3 wire clip on the pass side harness needs to be extended 2 inches to reach the sensor you need to put into the MT trans. Use the sensor out of the stock auto for that.

2. Reverse: There is a sensor where the shifter linkage goes into the M/T that i would imagine is the reverse sensor.. the wires are both black coming off the M/T but after the plug (from the Legacy) the wires are green/black and black/red, and if they are reverse wires where do they go in the auto harness?

The reverse sensor is the forward of the 2 switches on the driver's side of the transmission. Wires are usually both red with different tracers.

3. ?? There are two more wires coming off the M/T just forward of the Reverse?? sensor that are both red/yellow on the M/T and then tan/yellow and black/yellow after the Legacy plug. What are those and do i need them/where do they go?

The other switch on the MT is for an in-gear switch which you cannot use so leave it disconnected.

4. Neutral safety Switch: In toms write-up he says to connect the top switch from the clutch to the blue/white and black/yellow wire in the A/T harness which makes perfect sense.. if i could find a blue/white wire in the A/T harness, i could only find a solid blue wire, but it was beside a black/yellow one so i guess its the right one?

There are two AT harnesses. You need to use the smaller of the two and find these four wires in a row.... Blue/white(large gauge), Black/yellow(large gauge), green/red, brown/yellow. The blue/white, Black/yellow should be large gauge wires to be run to the two terminals on the clutch pedal switch. The other two need to be connected to the two red wires on the MT reverse switch.

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is the best if i have ever wondered something about the SVX its been on here!

check the quote for the answers, hope this helps

Tom
Old 06-15-2008, 01:03 PM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed

Cool Re: 5 mt wiring questions....

Sweet! Thanks for the fast reply, this clears it up alot! Thanks a bunch for the help (and the write-up)!!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
SVXless

So just how hard is the swap? Been thinking about doing it but I'm not sure how difficult it is.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed

For me.. it would have been alot easier if I had all the right things, the cross member was a biggie. I had to modify the pedals alot more than I thought, other than that it really wasn't too bad. All the wiring was really easy after above clarification and the only thing left is puting it all back together.

Which leads me to my (hopefully) last question.. Which computer is the TCU? I don't see anything differentiating the two under the dash..
Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The ECU has yellow connectors, the TCU has black.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed

Thumbs up Re: 5 mt wiring questions....

5 speed swap finally done!! Its awesome! Definitely worth all the work!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Pretend Innovator

Registered SVX

congrats on finishing your swap. I've had mine running only for about a month now. I love it (I should have gotten a heavier clutch kit though, mine spins too easily). Have fun!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

awesome man!!!

Tom
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed

Yea I got a factory replacement clutch off E-Bay just to get it on the road and it won't hold at all. The only good thing about it is I'm not going to be able to hurt the tranny with this wussy clutch