Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Tom, with all those sub-systems gone like the EGR, IRIS etc.

For states that enforce emissions/ecologically safe cars will this build be able to pass emission tests?

Not even sure whether it effects it or not... but thought its a good question to ask?

Thanks,
-Sov13t.

Last edited by Sov13t; 06-08-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Phast SVX,

Did you ever get 1/4 mile numbers for your setup? Sorry if I missed it. I have been out of the loop off and on.

Nothing to write home about. mid to lower 14;s on the 3.5lbs of boost. This turbo is far too small and chokes at higher boost levels. I have the 60-1 waiting to go in if i ever have time or money. This is the same turbo Tom is referring to with a 360 thrust cartridge instead of a duel ball bearing CHRA and a standard exhaust wheel (GT35R comes with a P trim housing).
Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Tom, with all those sub-systems gone like the EGR, IRIS etc.

For states that enforce emissions/ecologically safe cars will this build be able to pass emission tests?

Not even sure whether it effects it or not... but thought its a good question to ask?

Thanks,
-Sov13t.
I highly doubt it would pass emissions. As for safety, trimming the bumper support might raise a flag but I doubt that.

Tom
Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Turbo kit, who would be SERIOUSLY interested??

So what's the verdict on this tom? Why wouldn't it pass safety, are stand alone's not allowed?? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this aspect... but what would be wrong with the setup???
Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
So what's the verdict on this tom? Why wouldn't it pass safety, are stand alone's not allowed?? Forgive me for my lack of knowledge in this aspect... but what would be wrong with the setup???
Emissions from a SA are probably going to be higher due to the fact that they are being used to the engine's full potential rather than legal restictions. I am sure there are maps to be made to allow a simple pass for emissions but the safety part about trimming some bumper supports etc... may cause issues. Also, many states do not want you to modify the car outside of OEM restrictions for exhaust etc...

I have not made any moves with this as of yet as I am still hung on what I am doing for EM... Waiting a month for emails sucks... but I am trying to make this whole kit as user friendly as possible

Tom
Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I have modified exhaust and no problems there isn't as far as I know any real laws in utah at least about modifying your exhaust except for that it can't have holes and must not cause harm to (burn) anyone while entering the vehicle, I'm no expert though, also though if the bumper is covered why would they have any reason to speculate, besides you see cars turboed aftermarket all the time that have to make mods to the body like that. I know a guy who had an eclipse that he had to do a similar cut to fit his front mount.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

If you wreck your car in the front bumper and they remove it and see a hacked up bumper support beam you might be screwed.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

then don't get in a wreck lol
Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Maniac modifier

Yes, state laws vary, that is why I cannot promise it will pass in every state. If the bumper is changed it will only affect the insurance portion of the deal, I doubt it will change anything to do with fault or penalties as long as it is able to pass a safety inspection... More or less, I cannot make promises that it will be legal in any state.... so you know the drill... *For offroad use only*

Tom
Old 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I dunno tom, let me know your results, I'm planning on puttin something together with big valley performance usin that turbo you're thinking, but letting their genius help decide what to put in the motor as far as cams rods etc and how to tune that beast. I'm also going to find out soon, hopefully, what tony performance put into their EG33 that they dropped into that 7 second wrx they have, which I think is the current record holder... for fastest subaru. Anyway good luck and I'm sure we can pass emissions somehow, I'll work with some people I know to try and find a way to keep it legal or like you said have two different maps one to pass emissions and another to get max performance.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

also would it make it easier to fit in a front mount if I got say the k staff or the flatt front bumper and then modified the original front bumper and just removed the bottom section and made it into one bumper instead of the original with the skirt over??? or would I still be dealing with the same clearance issues...
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Maniac modifier

we are talking about two very different things...

You are talking about the bumper cover, I am talking about the bumper beam

Tom
Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Tom,

Have you thought about what type of a "built" engine would be "compatible" with the second option. Are we talking LAN Built engines... or we talking something else? and if it is something else... what kind of something else is it

Hope this is confusing enough.
-Kirill.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Tom,

Have you thought about what type of a "built" engine would be "compatible" with the second option. Are we talking LAN Built engines... or we talking something else? and if it is something else... what kind of something else is it

Hope this is confusing enough.
-Kirill.

That would be testing uncharted waters and for me to make assumptions would be wrong. You can build an engine any way you like, but what it really comes down to is making the heads work for your application... And there is no single greater design or build... so... I cannot really say anything for anyone right now

Tom
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Looks and smells great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
Nothing to write home about. mid to lower 14;s on the 3.5lbs of boost. This turbo is far too small and chokes at higher boost levels. I have the 60-1 waiting to go in if i ever have time or money. This is the same turbo Tom is referring to with a 360 thrust cartridge instead of a duel ball bearing CHRA and a standard exhaust wheel (GT35R comes with a P trim housing).
You're running E85, right? You should be able to throw some significant boost at the EG33 even without changing the compression. Is it just your turbo holding you back?
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: