How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2008, 01:38 PM

damage just sitting in my garage!

So I am taking my LSi into the dealer on tuesday for diagnostics...but the battery keeps going dead since I havent been driving it. (Battery will take a charge but then the car sits and battery won't keep the charge.) So I get a new battery on Thursday but havent gotten it in yet. Then last night the garage door spring broke when the door was in the down position, so I couldnt get the car out of the garage to put new battery in. Two guys came out to fix garage door this morning, had to work around my car with their ladders and tool boxes, miscellaneous tools and large springs, etc...now I notice have a nice fresh 1.5" scratch on the top left quarter panel
Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Bailey,
Sorry to hear about the scratch! What does the garage door repair company have to say about it?
As far as the battery continuing to run down, check the power door lock button to see if it isn't sticking (assuming your model has the button). YT just fixed a car that was having the same issue. The stuck button will continue to send power to the door locks, even though they're locked.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM
svxless

Registered SVX
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
So I am taking my LSi into the dealer on tuesday for diagnostics...but the battery keeps going dead since I havent been driving it. (Battery will take a charge but then the car sits and battery won't keep the charge.) So I get a new battery on Thursday but havent gotten it in yet. Then last night the garage door spring broke when the door was in the down position, so I couldnt get the car out of the garage to put new battery in. Two guys came out to fix garage door this morning, had to work around my car with their ladders and tool boxes, miscellaneous tools and large springs, etc...now I notice have a nice fresh 1.5" scratch on the top left quarter panel
im going to assume that these repair guys haven't seen too many svxs in their lives, you'd think they use extra caution around a "cool looking" car like the svx

the first day i drove mine to school, the rear left panel got a nice 7-8" key mark on it...

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM

key marks are so wrong! I have never understood why someone would do that. One time one of my cars (not my SVX) got keyed across the hood...I had proceeded across a 4-way stop intersection and someone started following me who must have thought he deserved do go ahead of me at the stop sign and he tailgated me closely for several blocks. I pulled into a parking space and he drove on by and I didn't think anything more about it until I came back out and my hood was trashed.
The door guys probably dont even know they did it...I didnt notice the scratch until after they were gone...of course I know where every ding and scratch is on the body so I noticed the marks immediately as fresh.
I have rubbed it, it is not as bad as it first looked- probably can be buffed or something.
I have the new battery in now and car started right up...will be interesting to see if the problem persists, I will check the power door locks. thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
key marks are so wrong! I have never understood why someone would do that. One time one of my cars (not my SVX) got keyed across the hood...I had proceeded across a 4-way stop intersection and someone started following me who must have thought he deserved do go ahead of me at the stop sign and he tailgated me closely for several blocks. I pulled into a parking space and he drove on by and I didn't think anything more about it until I came back out and my hood was trashed.
Wow!

You got some seriously aggressive road rage people out there
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-05-2008, 04:20 PM

so true, I am sure it happens everywhere, and not often in my experience...but sometimes it is so irrational.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I once had my Claret keyed, but not by a stalker, I think

I parked in the only available space in a car-park near my work. This space happened to be near a pedestrian entrance, a step-through in the wall really.

Somebody coming through must have thought I parked too close to the entrance or something, because I had a key-mark the length of the car on that side.

Needless to say I never parked there again.

This is just one of the instances that causes me now to park miles away from the entrance to anything!

I will not park next to an SUV, not next to anything with a baby seat in it, not next to any coupes with huge doors like the SVX, not next to anything that is ancient and unloved, not near a cinema entrance, not, definitely not, near a supermarket entrance, you get my drift .

It's not that I think people are stupid, or that they are purposely trying to put dings in the side of my car, it is probably just that they open car doors the same way they drive.

In their sleep!!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 04-05-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
I will not park next to an SUV, not next to anything with a baby seat in it, not next to any coupes with huge doors like the SVX, not next to anything that is ancient and unloved, not near a cinema entrance, not, definitely not, near a supermarket entrance, you get my drift .
[/B]Joe
Yes Joe, I get it. You won't park anywhere besides your own drive way.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Quote:
We did a 'Pitch black' hand rubbed, show quality paint job on a Harley. The guy drove it home, parked it in the garage, went to close the door.... A spring broke and a lot of crap started flying and the door came down on the tank! A week later, the bike took 'Best Paint' trophy after a lot of midnight oil was burned.

Yea, It still SUCKED!! These things do!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Wow!

You got some seriously aggressive road rage people out there
The top 3 things that I think pi$$ me off!

3) messing with my wife. She has free will and can respond to the aggressor, fight back(or not), discribe the attacker to cops or tell me who to shoot,
2) Kicking my dog, He can BITE or run away, but can't TELL me who to shoot!
1) my car, I will SHOOT anyone low enough to mess with a defenceless car!!

Jerry
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Well, I let it sit with the new battery overnight and this morning it started right up, so I took it out, first time I've driven it for a few months, looking forward to the diagnostics on Tuesday to find out what I need to have fixed (and hoping i can afford the repairs after forking out money to have the garage door fixed and my husband's need for 2 new fishing poles for us, so my repair budget is starting to dwindle) cuz I NEED to be driving it this spring! Has the binding problem (shudder when wheel cranked at low speed) and knocking under the car that may be axle... or many other things from what I am reading
Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Yes Joe, I get it. You won't park anywhere besides your own drive way.
Yeah well, now that I read back, it does sound like I am kinda sensitive to door dings.

My everyday car, the RVR, it had 3 dings when I got it from its eight years in Japan. Two years later it still has only 3 dings, so my system works and it keeps me fit with all the walking I do because I never park near to anywhere that I am shopping, or whatever.

On the other hand my wife Ann has her car two years, and there are lots of marks, dings and scratches on it. I'm not blaming Ann, she is not careless or anything, she just couldn't be bothered parking a quarter mile away from the shops and the trollies. Plus she does all the household shopping, and so she has to bring her car every week into the most hostile environment for metalwork know to man; The Supermarket Car Park!!!

Oh, allow me one last little rant!

Near the entrance of supermarkets there are special larger [wider] car spaces. These are for people with disability and also for mothers and babies.

Why can't all the spaces be this wide? Who are these car park planners to presume that the rest of us fools don't need to open our doors fully to exit our cars?

What is needed badly is a test case that proves bodywork dings are a direct result of spaces that are too narrow, thus allowing people to litigate against the operators for damages. When that happens, they will paint the spaces wider.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM

I couldnt agree more. but I have decided my SVX is NOT the best vehicle to have when doing major grocery shopping...I am always trying to cram bags into the trunk and back seat, hitting my head on the door, tangled up in the seat belt etc. Hard to look cool when doing this, and I need to always look cool in my SVX
Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM

I hate finding new damage on any of my cars. Its just like.... Ahhh, nooooo!!! why?????

Found a chip in one of my new(ish) clear corners last week when I was buffing my headlights, and just a few other dings I'd never seen. I mean, that's life but you still wish the car could stay pristine forever... Oh well.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Now with more color

Quote:
Yeah well, now that I read back, it does sound like I am kinda sensitive to door dings.

My everyday car, the RVR, it had 3 dings when I got it from its eight years in Japan. Two years later it still has only 3 dings, so my system works and it keeps me fit with all the walking I do because I never park near to anywhere that I am shopping, or whatever.

On the other hand my wife Ann has her car two years, and there are lots of marks, dings and scratches on it. I'm not blaming Ann, she is not careless or anything, she just couldn't be bothered parking a quarter mile away from the shops and the trollies. Plus she does all the household shopping, and so she has to bring her car every week into the most hostile environment for metalwork know to man; The Supermarket Car Park!!!

Oh, allow me one last little rant!

Near the entrance of supermarkets there are special larger [wider] car spaces. These are for people with disability and also for mothers and babies.

Why can't all the spaces be this wide? Who are these car park planners to presume that the rest of us fools don't need to open our doors fully to exit our cars?

What is needed badly is a test case that proves bodywork dings are a direct result of spaces that are too narrow, thus allowing people to litigate against the operators for damages. When that happens, they will paint the spaces wider.

Joe

We have the 'Sacrificial Lamb', that actually GOES to Wal-Mart, then there is the REST of the fleet! Wife's 97 Outback goes to Wal-Mart almost daily, the lil' red wagon has NEVER been there! ( I have driven lil' red for 5 years)

The 'mechanic' at work oversaw the painting of the lines in our parking lot. He must have 'forgotten' that we are a BUS company!! all parking spaces are 7 FT wide!! 20 of our vehicles are Dodge maxi-vans or larger! We have to fold the MIRRORS in to walk between them! I park in a corner or on the street! I have counted 13 'dings' in my left front fender and drivers door! I park in NO other lot! The line painter must have worked for Yugo in a former life!

Jerry