Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Why no street racing...

This I guess it will never stop
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:16 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
As seen in YT's sig: Real men take it to the track.

I'm older & wiser now, but I'm guilty of my share of street racing in my younger years.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Some members have asked why no street racing.

It is illegal and has caused some tragic results like this story.

Please, take it to the track.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19

Last edited by ensteele; 02-16-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
story against street racing? nah, story for paying attention and controling your car.

Now, i try to act my age, not my IQ, but this does not seem to be the racers fault. It was the people watching them act like morons fault. It is also the guy in the white cars fault, i dont see how the two guys in the cars that were racing could be to blame here.
Guess what, in life you have to make choices, so are good and help you along the way, some really dont matter, and others are poor and could cost you the more then you want. The people there made a choice to stand in a road and not listen for trafic comming. That was their choice, they paid for it. The white car made a choice to go faster then was really needed (150ft skidmarks?) he SHOULD pay the price, thou the police seem to think it not his fault. No where in this story do I read and the street racer crashed into an oncomming car, or they hit a pedestrain, so I disagree, it is NOT their fault at all.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I agree with the poster above me. Why in the world someone would walk onto what looked like a rural highway in the dark is beyond me. I don't agree with racing on any level, but the racers were not at fault here.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast View Post
Now, i try to act my age, not my IQ, but this does not seem to be the racers fault. It was the people watching them act like morons fault. It is also the guy in the white cars fault, i dont see how the two guys in the cars that were racing could be to blame here.
Guess what, in life you have to make choices, so are good and help you along the way, some really dont matter, and others are poor and could cost you the more then you want. The people there made a choice to stand in a road and not listen for trafic comming. That was their choice, they paid for it. The white car made a choice to go faster then was really needed (150ft skidmarks?) he SHOULD pay the price, thou the police seem to think it not his fault. No where in this story do I read and the street racer crashed into an oncomming car, or they hit a pedestrain, so I disagree, it is NOT their fault at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I agree with the poster above me. Why in the world someone would walk onto what looked like a rural highway in the dark is beyond me. I don't agree with racing on any level, but the racers were not at fault here.

+1 on those posts. I just saw this on the news and was shocked. Why in the hell would a crowd of people stand in the middle of a highway at night??? I blame the crowd, not the driver in the white crown vic, or the two racing.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Registered SVX
The same thing has happened way down this way. It can be safely assumed that the crowd was half pissed on who knows what.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 PM
building more AK47's

Everyone related to this story is at fault: Street racing for one, running out into a road after the race starts and someone driving without their lights on a dark road-recipe for disaster. Take it to the track, much cheaper to pay the $10-20 entry fee, have a safety crew on hand in a controlled area and your not breaking the law.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx View Post
Everyone related to this story is at fault: Street racing for one, running out into a road after the race starts and someone driving without their lights on a dark road-recipe for disaster. Take it to the track, much cheaper to pay the $10-20 entry fee, have a safety crew on hand in a controlled area and your not breaking the law.
Running where there is a genuine test requires intestinal fortitude, very much lacking in these instances. What is more booze and drugs are taboo at proper venues.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast View Post
The first half of the first sentence of that story tells you why the drivers are at fault:

"A car plowed into a group of street-racing fans obscured by a cloud of tire smoke on a highway Saturday..."

No street race, no street-racing crowd in the highway.

dcb
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Good morning!

I was not trying to assign blame, it is a sad story, however I would like to rebut a couple of black beasts arguements.

First, 150 ft of skid marks is not unreasonable from highway speeds, a few years ago when I would actually pay attention the BEST sports cars could stop from 60mph in 100', a crown vic in much more, and if you are skiding then the distance would be even greater.

Only one witness said no headlights, this does not make a fact, if you talk to 3 witnesses you will likley find 3 different accounts of what happened, this is a news story, not a police report, and details should be assumed to be possibly right, the only gauranteed fact is many people are dead. I almost ran over a mother and her children with my headlights on, they were all wearing black and crossing in an unlit area under a large tree 50' from a street light.

I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but in California encouraging a street race is considered to be the SAME CRIME as the race its self, I would not hold the drivers any more or any less responsible than the crowd, from the size of the crowd and statment that there were few people at this location usually it sounds like it was likely a planed event. If everyone who was in the crowd is arrested then do the same to the drivers, otherwise leave them alone, the fact that the injured willingley put themselves in a position does not mean that they deserved their injuries or their families will be any less hurt, and their poor decision should not be used as basis for punnisihing the crown vic driver unless the vehicle was proceding in a wreckless manor, that driver simpley came uppon an unusual and difficult to avoid situation.

The dangers of street racing go far beyond the vehicles involved. The largest danger lies in trying to justify it, who was killed and who survived is luck, the fact that someone was killed somewhere in an incident related to street racing is guaranteed, kind of like Russian Roulette
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Maniac modifier

argue all you want. 7 people are dead.... The base of this is because of the street racing event. Now you could break it down into other subcategories to lay blame, but those people are still dead because there was a race happening... I watched two people die after some kid tried taking a turn too fast. A headlight from the car , I picked up 200ft from the car after it struck a bridge support... As I ran to the car to check on them, they were both eyes wide shut. It was about this time that I realized not every road is one to be challenged... i wish others would learn the same lesson in a different way.

Tom
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Good morning!

I'm not sure who this was aimed at, but I was trying to point out that all parties involved share the blame, without the drivers there would be no race, but at the same time the individuals in the crowd were not forced into the street by the drivers and, knowing crowds, were likley encouraging the drivers.

The driver of the crown vic seems to be more of a victim who will live with the emotional damage of knowing that their vehicle killed many people, even if they were not driving in an unreasonable fassion and could not reasonably avoid the situation, and I find Black Beasts post quite disturbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
argue all you want. 7 people are dead.... The base of this is because of the street racing event. Now you could break it down into other subcategories to lay blame, but those people are still dead because there was a race happening... I watched two people die after some kid tried taking a turn too fast. A headlight from the car , I picked up 200ft from the car after it struck a bridge support... As I ran to the car to check on them, they were both eyes wide shut. It was about this time that I realized not every road is one to be challenged... i wish others would learn the same lesson in a different way.

Tom
Old 02-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Maniac modifier

My post was aimed at the fact that not every road is one to be raced on. Respect the limitations because it is a road, which conditions are not always ideal as if it were a track. Potholes... anything can serious damage the vehicle and make it unstable at high speeds, not saying spirited driving is such a horrible thing, but street racing is both dangerous and stupid... Seriously... I mean 1/4 mile tracks are what? $20 to get it?? Why not pull out a time slip instead of whipping out the keys?? I guess I could never wrap my head around all that nonsense

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian View Post
I'm not sure who this was aimed at, but I was trying to point out that all parties involved share the blame, without the drivers there would be no race, but at the same time the individuals in the crowd were not forced into the street by the drivers and, knowing crowds, were likley encouraging the drivers.

The driver of the crown vic seems to be more of a victim who will live with the emotional damage of knowing that their vehicle killed many people, even if they were not driving in an unreasonable fassion and could not reasonably avoid the situation, and I find Black Beasts post quite disturbing.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
+1 on those posts. I just saw this on the news and was shocked. Why in the hell would a crowd of people stand in the middle of a highway at night??? I blame the crowd, not the driver in the white crown vic, or the two racing.
That's the thing though. No one is blaming the drivers, or the spectators, but the situation. If the situation is encouraged, drivers will come and spectators will come. And that's when the situation can become dangerous. It's not pointing fingers at individuals, but what's going on, which can cause a general loss of common sense. If street racing was not occuring, teh fans wouldn't be there, the drivers wouldn't be there, and people wouldn't be dead. What about the driver of the crown vic? Now he has to live with the lives of 8 people on his concious.

It's not the act of street racing itself that i have an issue with, if conducted properly, it's safe. However, the atmostphere it generates is what is not safe, and being an "event" is how problems arise.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: