Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

104k Mile Motor Using qt.oil/240miles

When I bought my SVX it didn't use any oil and didn't need any oil when TomsSVX drove it from Boston to Philly. Now it's using oil like a supercharger was on it. What could make 2 rings bad in less than a thousand miles?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You'll have to be more specific. Is is the oil usage caused by the engine burning oil or leaking oil? Your reference to rings would lean toward you thinking that the engine is burning oil...yet burning a qt. of oil every 240 miles would mean that you'd probably be leaving a blue cloud of smoke behind you constantly.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Is it constantly using that much oil, or did it just do that once? Like Bill said, that much oil being burned constantly would make a nice smoke-show.

We know that the engine has low compression on two cylinders from Bobby (sicksubie) testing it, so something's amis.

Oil can only go a few places. Get burned (nasty blue cloud) or leak.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-10-2008, 04:29 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Have you let the car sit to see if there's any oil spots on the ground after a few days?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
there is a good chance the rings were not sealing that well before hand. The added abuse to the car finally cooked them out... There really is no other explanation for it

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned

There is no oil leaking out of the engine. Sicksubie had the car when it came back from Tom's and he would've made us aware of an outside leak. It is burning the oil and the catch can sicksubie put on isn't showing any oil in the tube. The motor is burning oil we could see when we started the car in NJ. Tom attributed the 2 quarts down when we got back,to him forgetting to put oil in, but it is still burning oil at the same rate. The car also did not have soot sticking to the bumper when the car was picked up.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

It was all at once. It was 2 quarts down when we got back from Tom's with soot on the bumper and Tom said he forgot to put oil in, but it continued to burn oil at the same rate, which Tom says is from abuse, but we've been told we'de have to run the 24 hour of Le Mans to burn the rings that quick, less than 1,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Is it constantly using that much oil, or did it just do that once? Like Bill said, that much oil being burned constantly would make a nice smoke-show.

We know that the engine has low compression on two cylinders from Bobby (sicksubie) testing it, so something's amis.

Oil can only go a few places. Get burned (nasty blue cloud) or leak.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Banned

The car is parked on a white cement floor with no spots on it and everyone has said it was dry, tom put in an engine seal kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221 View Post
Have you let the car sit to see if there's any oil spots on the ground after a few days?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Maniac modifier

well like I have stated before, there is no other explanation. The car had no soot on it when you picked it up and there was never a mention of burning oil until you had it for a couple days. When I had it, it had a spurt of oil on start up, thats it... If there was that much oil burning it would literally smoke out the neighborhood.

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

I think you would've seen the soot when you drove to NJ like we did when he got back to Boston. What abuse? Nate didn't abuse the car, I was in it with him. He tested the acceleration a few times, but not everyday. Extreme abuse is supercharging one of these motors. How long does a motor last with a supercharger anyway, since you have one for sale? I still haven't received the money order for the transmission you said you sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
there is a good chance the rings were not sealing that well before hand. The added abuse to the car finally cooked them out... There really is no other explanation for it

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Maniac modifier

I never saw any soot.

Nate was telling me and everyone else how he was shifting it at 7500rpms, meaning he was killing it to get there

I have not sent the MO I am buying it tomorrow.
Sending a PM now.

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

A few days? I was there when Nate called you the same day we got back about it being down 2 quarts. He was checking everything after he was upset about the rear washer, speakers, and transmission mounts not being fixed right and the wheel bearing and ABS not being fixed.
Quote:
well like I have stated before, there is no other explanation. The car had no soot on it when you picked it up and there was never a mention of burning oil until you had it for a couple days. When I had it, it had a spurt of oil on start up, thats it... If there was that much oil burning it would literally smoke out the neighborhood.

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

I don't think the engine even goes that high. Nate asked you what to shift at and that's what he had to do, because you didn't do the before-and-after g-tech tests like you said you would.
Quote:
I never saw any soot.

Nate was telling me and everyone else how he was shifting it at 7500rpms, meaning he was killing it to get there

I have not sent the MO I am buying it tomorrow.
Sending a PM now.

Tom
Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Seeing that car in person, it was VERY rusty underneath and after the description of how fast you drove on the way home, and how you said it held tight on a ramp at excessive speed (paraphrased because I cannot find the exact post), nothing surprises me.

Your lack of knowledge of the car coupled with your incessant ranting and lack of respect for your car, this forum, and its members pisses me off.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Maniac modifier

This has been reviewed over and over and I refuse to do it again.

The rear washer was tested with the rear wiper, the motor for the fluid pump was activated so I assumed it was working. Check the line for kinks, I bet you if you get the kinks out of the line, the fluid come right out.

The speakers were hooked up using everything Nate gave me and nothing more or less. There is no doubt in my mind. You plug the clip into the stock harness and then plug the other end into the speakers... Its not hard and I would have made my life even harder if I had not used them. So the speakers may have been bad of the stereo may have been bad. The speakers were installed as Nate had asked

The transmission mount was the one that came with the transmission Nate bought!! Since everyone needs a lesson in clutch use nowadays, I suggested a harder mount from GroupN.

I was told not to do any further work on the car than what I had originally hired for. So I did not do anything more. Thats why the car still has bad wheel bearings and the ABS is still not working right. I do not work for free.

I am done with this, this has been done time and time again and I don't need the bull****

Tom
Closed Thread