How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Code 25??

Hi all...
My power light was blinking so I checked the codes. It seems to be #25 Engine torque control signal. Stupid question now-What does this mean?
She's going in on Thursday to the transmission guys. Am I okay til then?
Thanks in advance.
Cyn

Done some searching, found abit of info, but no one says "Don't Drive It!"??

Last edited by Cynic; 08-14-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Let us know what happens - I really have no idea if you should drive it or not.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Hi all...
My power light was blinking so I checked the codes. It seems to be #25 Engine torque control signal. Stupid question now-What does this mean?
She's going in on Thursday to the transmission guys. Am I okay til then?
Thanks in advance.
Cyn

Done some searching, found abit of info, but no one says "Don't Drive It!"??
This is rather a confusing title to a code which involves an arrangement whereby engine torque is reduced, when drive to the wheels is absent during gear changes, so as to ensure smooth operation.

A control signal is produced by the TCU and transmitted to the ECU whereby as I understand it the engine ignition is partly interrupted for the required interval. Externally all that is involved is a wire within the loom system and the associated plug/socket connections.

Deduced from my manuals:-

With the ignition on (engine not running) there should be 4.5 - 5 volts on pin B59 20 at the ECU

With the plug disconnected from the TCU, there should be there should be 4.5 - 5 volts at pin B68 16 .

The interconnecting wire is coloured black with a yellow stripe.

I would doubt that the average transmission shop would be the correct place to approach with the problem, as the first phase of diagnosis will involve electrical measurements.

There would appear to be no reason why you should not drive the car meantime.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks...I think!!
I have some tranny issues, so she's going there regardless...but tomorrow I'll check out this other code. I have to buy the service manuals for this car!! Even if I won't understand it all (ha,that's a laugh), I'll have them for someone who does.
I'll print off what I can find, as well as your post, Trevor, and take it along.
Cyn
Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
trevor i believe the tranny shop has a multimeter and some manuals too. and hopefully some one that can read and understand.
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
trevor i believe the tranny shop has a multimeter and some manuals too. and hopefully some one that can read and understand.
I do not believe that they will have manuals on the SVX and would not have a clue as to what the code means unless they were advised accordingly, as will now be the case.

The derived signal in no way involves the transmission as such, being a generated from within the TCU for transfer to the ECU. A technician involved with engine management systems would surely be the better choice.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM

back from shop...

Okay, I took her in to the shop, and took a mass of print-offs from here...Trevor's info on the code 25, how to read the codes, info people posted about the AWD and binding etc., as well as the web address for this site. I wonder how many of their customers come in armed...
My son picked her up (I was at work) so I'll call today for more info, but the code wasn't flashing last night. They were researching and checking the code, but I don't know what they did, if anything.(I checked the previous codes before I took it in, and it was the only one that showed up? Does it just show you the last one? Or all codes ever thrown?)
They flushed the tranny, took out the fuse that disabled AWD and drove it around...want me to drive her a few days like that to get the fluid throughout the clutches etc. and see how she does. They felt the AWD might be ok, but won't know until she's driven a bit.
When my son got her, he noticed a noise from the brake (linkage?). So he asked whether they had done anything to it. So a new thing to look at...one step forward, 2 back!

PS Drove my son to work, stopped at brake shop...no problems, just a slightly loose linkage between emergency brake and shifter(?). Went to tranny shop next to ask what teenager didn't when he picked her up...they checked engine torque control and found it working great. Tested wires as per Trevor's post etc. Front end of car fine, and they believe back is good too. Put in stuff (ya, I know, really technical aren't I?)to make it glide and shift better, and so far so good! Mechanic thinks there has been some work on tranny in past, but doesn't think its been replaced. Struts, bearings, suspension (they think fairly new and harded than stock) all look great. So now I'll make an appointment for a cooler and filter install. Thanks to all.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt

Last edited by Cynic; 08-17-2007 at 10:51 AM.