SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Remember Subaru hasn't even made awd for 1/2 of its life, let alone a 1/4 of the life of FHI.

Then again ther was a time that Subarus were economical and built to stay that way... Sadly today you can buy an awd Bmmer for the same money as a WRX.
Just remember, the SVX was the start of Subaru moving "upmarket". Without thier decision to compete with the germans, we wouldn't have our beautiful cars.
Now the Germans are moving "downmarket" to meet the japaneese marques. Case in point the BMW 1 class & the Benz A class coming soon to America.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Just remember, the SVX was the start of Subaru moving "upmarket". Without thier decision to compete with the germans, we wouldn't have our beautiful cars.
Now the Germans are moving "downmarket" to meet the japaneese marques. Case in point the BMW 1 class & the Benz A class coming soon to America.
My XT6 cost more than my SVX did once inflation was caculated in and it was fwd. The Germans aren't moving downmarket one bit. Remember the 318i the 318ti the 2002 the Isetta? Subaru was the first Japanese car company to produce a fwd vehicle but yet they now shouldn't make fwd cars because they had a one hit wonder with the wrx.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
FWD 5Speed S/C...period
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Well I've been looking into it and it seems like its not too terribly difficult to convert an m/t awd to fwd. Its seems like its when converting from awd to rwd that there is more danger of breakage. That would also give me access to front diffs that are used in AWD trannies.

Oh and the plan is to take the engine and tranny and run it mid engine in another, much lighter car...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
FWD 5Speed S/C...period
Really I don't think it matters as a stock engined 2800lbs SVX can't put its power down to the wheels with 10 inch wide hoosier road race tires.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
Oh and the plan is to take the engine and tranny and run it mid engine in another, much lighter car...
Talk to Paul (owner/builder of SVXrex). He's been working on a mid engined Justy for some time.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Maybe I'm wierd, but I think that a Subie without AWD is like socks with sandals. You can do it, but it ain't right.
I feel the same way. A suby to me is 4x4 or AWD.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I feel the same way. A suby to me is 4x4 or AWD.
Hence why you don't own an old school Subaru. Me I like my 57 fuji just fine or will once I get her back together. You need to keep an open mind, Subaru has made some fine machines some are actually better in fwd form.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I still own an 89 wagon that is festering in my dad's barn (not exactly old school though) Between the wife and I we've gone through many subies dating back to 86. Each one of them 4x4 or awd. The number of them I've been a part of more than doubles when you add in my brother's and father's subarus.

To me, growing up in my time, a subaru was a wagon that could rip through the mud and snow just as good if not better than my buddies pickup trucks but was still fun to drive on pavement. And I'll be damned if I ever own one without a rear driveshaft. I agree the old school 360's and FF1's are cool and have merit, they just aren't my idea of what made subaru great. I understand subaru started as FWD econoboxes and what they made were pretty cool, but in my eyes they didn't make it until they started making 4x4's.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles

Last edited by immortal_suby; 11-05-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 PM

Then you don't know what you're missing. Anything with a t belt is too new to be old school in my book. Any of them get close to 40mpg? FWD subies will be back soon enough. When you're most effiecent cars only get 28mpg highway and gas is $3 a gallon you're going to loose more sales then the money you save with a single platform.

I actually like your mindset as it makes for cheap or free Subies for me!

Quote:
I still own an 89 wagon (not exactly old school to you I guess) And between the wife and I we've gone through many subies dating back to 86. Each one of them 4x4 or awd. The number of them I've been a part of doubles when you add in my brother's and father's subarus.

And to me, growing up in my time, a subaru was a wagon that could rip through the mud and snow just as good if not better than my buddies pickup trucks but still fun to drive on pavement. And I'll be damned if I ever own one without a rear driveshaft. I agree the old school 360's and FF1's are cool and have merit, they just aren't my idea of what made subaru great.

Last edited by benebob; 11-05-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
When your most efficient cars only get 28mpg highway and gas is $3 a gallon you're going to lose more sales than the money you save with a single platform.
An interesting point! I hadn't thought of that. It will be interesting to see how they handle this in the years to come. I'd predict e85 and hybrid as their direction though instead of taking a step backwards to 1 wheel drive.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
An interesting point! I hadn't thought of that. It will be interesting to see how they handle this in the years to come. I'd predict e85 and hybrid as their direction though instead of taking a step backwards to 1 wheel drive.
I hope not E85 doesn't do anything for the enviroment or our dependence on dead animals for our energy consumption. It simply makes cans of corn cost more. Hybrids still haven't topped the same fuel economy that a freaking CRX got 20 years ago! 1 wheel drive is just fine... that is so long as you can drive! Only time I ever got a fwd ea-81 stuck I buried it so deep in snow that we had to crawl out the windows. 4wd would have gotten us no where on that one either! Damn budwieser ice!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I think if we see a FWD Subie any time soon, it's going to be one of their little grocery getters they have in Japan (Vivio/Pleo) to compete with the Yaris, Fit, Accent, etc..,

As for a FWD SVX, remember that most of that power is going to go up in wheel spin, and as long as it's easier to spin the tires than to shear teeth off the gears in the tranny, you probably won't have too much trouble as far as breaking stuff goes... I think it'd be interesting to run one against an AWD 5 speed car, since the FWD car would be lighter but AWD doesn't spin the tires when you do a hard launch, it just goes.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-06-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
I think if we see a FWD Subie any time soon, it's going to be one of their little grocery getters they have in Japan (Vivio/Pleo) to compete with the Yaris, Fit, Accent, etc..,
Little? Are you serious. I don't want that crap that isn't as effiecient as a 20 year old CRX! I want a real Kei car. Actually a 3 wheeled kei would be perfect. Motorcycle classification so motorcycle parking, fees etc.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I would totally rock one of those little kei cars! I like the idea of parking head-in in a parallel parking space, without sticking out into traffic If we ever get the Smart Fortwo turbodiesel (Yeah it's 0-60 in 19 seconds, but it gets 73 MPG) I'm gonna be all over it lol.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta