Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Quick question about rpms

I'm going to be driving a car home, 5 hours, in second gear...because only 1st and 2nd (and reverse) work right now. I'm trying to figure out how fast I'll be able to go without causing harm to the engine...how many rpms at 55 mph? Other speeds and info is very welcome...ideas how fast I can go without damage Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Might be best off having it delivered on a truck at that rate!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Unfortunately, time is too short for that. I'm meeting the guy, who's coming up from Missouri, to get the car tomorrow while he's in Minnesota. I don't have time to arrange anything like that...was going to trailer it, but it fell though
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Somebody double check this math for me:

2nd gear = 1.545:1
diff = 3.55:1

...thus...

MPH x 71.19 = RPM

If this is right...

55 MPH = ~3900 RPM
65 MPH = ~4600 RPM

...in which case you have to ask yourself, is this trans going to detonate, being driven so far in that gear, as it's notorious for overheating?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM

According to the Road & Track road test: 6,200rpm = 76mph in 2nd gear.

So 55mph would be a tad under 4,500 rpm.

The engine can stand it ....... but can the gearbox?
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Also...

I'm not even sure what's wrong with the car yet either. The seller said one day it just wouldn't shift past 2nd. He had bought it a few days prior to that, so isn't sure of any issues beforehand. Reverse works fine as well. If the tranny is bad, it's not that big of a deal.

My '95 is getting a 4.44 swap done this week and so I'll have a good tranny sitting around to put in. However, if it might be something else, I don't really want to overheat it...could this be a brake band issue? hmmm
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Those numbers look about right. I drove my car for a while with 1st and 2nd until I could replace the trans. I had made arrangements for another trans, so I wasn't concerned with killing the lame trans... Then I had to replace the engine too It gave in at the end of an hour long stretch on the highway running around 65 mph...

If this is necessary, I would suggest staying off of the highway. Stop occasionally to check the oil, both the level and the condition. Know anybody that has AAA??
Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM

I wish...

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with it...and it's just way too much to have it towed on a flatbed or something. I have the return trip planned so I can go maybe 45 mph (55 mph roads...) all the way home, and definitely stop every once in a while to make sure fluids are ok and nothing is wrong.

I wish I knew what was wrong with the car, and then could make a good decision on what I need to do!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kis86
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with it...and it's just way too much to have it towed on a flatbed or something. I have the return trip planned so I can go maybe 45 mph (55 mph roads...) all the way home, and definitely stop every once in a while to make sure fluids are ok and nothing is wrong.

I wish I knew what was wrong with the car, and then could make a good decision on what I need to do!
You are indicting that you know what you are about. My notes will I am sure not be required, but could reinforce your own thoughts. Follow your nose and you may be able to sort something out regarding the fault before your return trip. The engine should cope no problems, but keep an eye on temperature and oil.

The transmission should be your main concern, as the existing fault may not be vital and it is best to not cause additional damage. First, check the fluid level and keep checking it and have top up fluid on hand. Be confident, patient and careful and you will make it. Let us know how you get on.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
He says it won't go past 2nd gear. Try putting it in manual mode and shifting 1-2-3 as you accelerate, you might get 3rd out of it, which would defidently make the trip easier. Also, it's probably not a 5hr drive anymore if you only hvae second gear, estimate 8ish, perhaps more depending on how often you need to stop. Also you can rent uhaul truck + trailer for about 150$, which is a full car trailer, all wheels off the ground, and you can take it one way + gas. Might want to try that out.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 AM

Talking Yay!

...I'm so happy Car drove *totally fine* all the way home! It shifted fine even lol, so I'm a little confused on that. I'll be starting a new thread on that. Thank you all!!