Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-04-2007, 09:24 PM

thanks. And a big thanks to it's just eric for making people feel like douche bags when they ask questions.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
No matter that you sold Subies---the tires were NOT smaller. All 97 models had smaller tires, but prior to that all were the same. I did not argue about what the documents stated for the weight difference---I said I "thought" it would be more because of all the items I listed.

Find me a single 94 with stock wheels and tires that are smaller. Remember---I owned one. In fact it was the lowest level model ever produced--the LE. (It is still in the family.) On it I could have added the lack of ABS brakes as another weight subtraction. (The ABS pump and toner wheels.)

Lee
Lee,
Actually I was referring to all Subarus,in the 1990- 1995 range, and not just the SVX, THAT WE BOTH LOVE!!!!!
Legacys, Imprezas, yep, thats about it.
In the FWD vs AWD SVX arena it was more like #150s differance.
I would (will) have to check in the literature on the SVX, but with the XT6 AWD vs XT6 FWD I am sure they got at least one tire size smaller, and the FWD Impreza got 13s vs 14s for the AWD.
This is an area that I am personnally unfamiliar with, as I tend to REDUCE my MPG and tire life!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 PM
There's a storm coming.

Hi nick
Your idea of actualy changing the transmission from an AWD to a FWD transmission is actually a breath of fresh air.
Most people who want better mpg talk of just installing the FWD fuse.
Where I live, with the winding roads, and bad roads, and snow, and rain , and fox/deer/ wild turkeys etc., awd is a HUGE advantage to an old speed freak like myself!
Its YOUR car, do what you want.
Just realize that once you make it your own , the value is "subject to personal interpitation."

ps, pump up the tires, wax it, tune it, keep off of the gas, take any extras out of the trunk, and drive it like you have no hormones and your mpg will rise.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

I don't know if there is any difference in a AWD and a FWD TCU, but would suspect there is...but I know on our 90 Legacy AWD that I pput a FWD tranny in, ran and shifted fine with the AWD TCU still in it....and that is the only experience I have with it...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I don't know if there is any difference in a AWD and a FWD TCU, but would suspect there is...but I know on our 90 Legacy AWD that I pput a FWD tranny in, ran and shifted fine with the AWD TCU still in it....and that is the only experience I have with it...
Huck, there has to be a difference in the AWD vs the FWD TCU.

The AWD one gets speed signals from the front of the transmission and the rear of the transmission. Its software uses differences between these two signals to output different torque to the front or rear, depending which is losing traction.

But, and this is a big BUT, provided the wiring loom [you guys call the looms cords, maybe?] from the FWD replacement transmission is sending the correct appropriate signals to the AWD transmission computer, then it will still be able to do its business, decide when the shifts need to be made relative to roadspeed and demand. Absence of a front/rear speed speed differentiation signal should just leave that part of the software unused, and the FWD tranny should work OK as expected.

It is only in the instance where the fwd transmission being installed is sending different signals from the wiring cords/connectors than the on-board awd computer expects, then shifting will be a problem for this mis-matched combination in this scenario.

This might indicate that the best tranny to get is the one used in the fwd SVX. You would expect they did not use radically different wiring, they would need individual new looms in place, rather than simply leave a few wire redundant.

However, if you buy a Legacy transmission, and know enough about the wiring to determine that it sends the same signals to the same pins as the SVX one does, there should be no mismatch in that case either.

It is do-able for sure.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM

I have a similar question so I figured I'd resurrect this thead.

My AWD tranny is running in FWD mode due to problems with the transfer clutch. Can I pull the driveshaft until I fix the transmission (if I ever do)? Will the end of the transfer section stay sealed? I haven't eyed it up yet but I figured you guys would know off the top of your head. Any tips?

I'd pull the rear axles as well but I have no desire to disassemble my axles for the stub...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you pull the driveshaft the oil will leak out of your tranny. You may be able to find a plug though. We did this to our Justy when we were "fixing" the driveshaft joints.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin
I have a similar question so I figured I'd resurrect this thead.

My AWD tranny is running in FWD mode due to problems with the transfer clutch. Can I pull the driveshaft until I fix the transmission (if I ever do)? Will the end of the transfer section stay sealed? I haven't eyed it up yet but I figured you guys would know off the top of your head. Any tips?

I'd pull the rear axles as well but I have no desire to disassemble my axles for the stub...

Yes... IF you have the bolt in rear section of driveshaft...in that case you just unbolt the rear section...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Headed to Texas...

As someone else posted - if you want to switch to FWD, it's your car - do what makes you happy. However, I see no earthly reason to do such a thing to a Subaru, nor do I see a significant enough gain in MPG to make it remotely worth the effort. Let's see - you go through a lot of time and trouble to end up with a downgraded SVX....

Now, what were you thinking?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 PM
206,000 miles on 1 air filter

Send a message via AIM to nonSTOP_service
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26
As someone else posted - if you want to switch to FWD, it's your car - do what makes you happy. However, I see no earthly reason to do such a thing to a Subaru, nor do I see a significant enough gain in MPG to make it remotely worth the effort. Let's see - you go through a lot of time and trouble to end up with a downgraded SVX....

Now, what were you thinking?
I'm going to assume he was thinking that he'd get better gas mileage.

Most likely someone mentioned to this kid that AWD's get worse mileage than FWD or RWD cars, and just kinda took it to an extreme. We all know that the time, effort, and money it would take really wouldn't be worth the 2 or 3 mpg gain, but he didn't.

And it was up to us to explain it to him.

But here's an idea. What if he wanted to put the car in an FF only competition and just for the sake of having it, he wanted to make his SVX FF just to throwdown with the plethora of civics and neons kids would be running. God forbid a little bit of originality.

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Scratched Silver Metallic
213,000mi

"Hey what's that green power light mean?"
"It means we're beating that Porsche."
"What Porsche?"
"Look behind us."
"....Nice..."
- actual conversation