How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM

Wheel Woes

Hi guys,

I have my RX-8 Rims and was planning to mount them. I lost the lugs that came with it.

There are issues here that i want to sleep better on.

I bought Hubcentric rings that are for a STi, Is it the right size?
Do I need wheel spacers? what size?
Does the stock Lugs Fit on the RX-8? if not what size lug am I looking for?

Finally order of mounting:
Wheel --- Spacer ----- Hub ring ---- Hub

is this right?

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

The SVX runs a 55mm offset and the RX8 (18") runs a 50mm.

You should be ok without spacers although if you do need them get them with the correct wheel centre already machined in. The best type are the ones you bolt on to your hub then fit the wheel as normal, they are a little more expensive but less stress on the studs.

I was looking for a pic I had of an SVX in Japan with the RX8's on, looked fantastic, you can also get some Prodrive center caps to replace the Mazda ones.

Quote:
Finally order of mounting:
Wheel --- Spacer ----- Hub ring ---- Hub

Think you want to try the Hub, Spacer, (Hub ring if needed) then the wheel, I find it fits easier that way with the wheel going on last

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:45 PM

thanks darren,

What size should the spacers be? And a link on where to purchase will be great.

Any Idea on the Lug nut size? is it the same as the Subaru STI.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Hub centric rings

www.tires.com a.k.a. www.discounttiredirect.com(discount tire direct) sells anodized aluminum hib centric rings in all different sizes for $15 shipped. Tell them the ID of the wheel and the OD of the hub and they'll sell/send you some nice, hard (pink color) anodized rings. If you don't have access to a digital or analog set of calipers, just tell them the donor car from which the wheels come (RX8) and that you're mounting them on an SVX and they'll look up the specs for both. I have run them on all my non stock wheels on all different types of vehicles for the last decade.

Last edited by gsodonis; 04-20-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
A stupid question. What happens if you don't install hub centric rings with the wheels? A couple years back I put wheels on a car (since sold) and the tire place said the rings that came with the wheels didn't fit so they just tossed them.
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 AM

heb centric vs. bolt centric

As the name suggests, hub centric wheels use a lip machined on the end of a hub to center the wheel on the hub.
Bolt centric wheels rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel on the hub (each tapered lug nut centers each corresponding mating wheel bolt hole to the hub assembly).

From an engineering perspective, the wheel studs (or bolts depending on manufacturer) do double duty in bolt centric applications. The studs must withstand the shear forces produced by the rotation of the wheel and they must also withstand the shear forces produced by vertical forces generated by the suspension as it absorbs road irregularities.

In hub centric applications, the shear forces from wheel rotation are the same, but the forces generated by the suspension are transfered to the hub through the wheel/hub lip interface and not throuigh the wheel studs/bolts.

Most of this is invisible to the driver under normal circumstances, but in off road and racing applications, hub centric is more durable and preferred.

What happens if you install road wheels without hub centering rings?
From a safety perspective, most likely nothing as the wheel/braking systems of most cars are engineered with pretty big factors of safety (they're essentially over engineered).

In my experience, I once had a set of +1 size aftermarket wheels that I installed on my wife's minivan. The steering wheel shook horribly and the tire dealer tried three times to re-balance the wheels without success. When I asked about hub centering rings, I was told that the wheel manufacturer claimed that my Honda Odyssey didn't need them as it was bolt centric. I chose not to believe them and bought a set anyway. As soon as I installed the centering rings, all of the steering wheel vibration disappeared.

Moral of the story, if you try and fit aftermarket or non-OEM wheels onto your vehicle and you get a steering wheel vibrations that wheel balancing won't eliminate, try a set of hub centering rings and it might just do the trick.

Last edited by gsodonis; 04-23-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Gads is back. Hope you are feeling better...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-21-2007, 03:09 PM

TN mini meet?

The worst part about having pneumonia is when your wife tells you that being off of work doesn't mean that you can work on your cars. She threatened to beat me if I even touched either the SVX or the VW Rabbit. Now that I feel better, I spent the better part of the day stripping the drivetrain and suspension off the Rabbit; it's getting all new parts. Once its finished and running again, the garage space is reserved for the SVX for a major service - timing belts, seals, clutch, and anything I find along the way. When you're not painting houses this summer, I could use a hand at night. Call it a East TN mini meet!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 AM

That was the most coherent and detailed explanation on hubs i have read.

Thanks and may this serve the future search button.

BTW, does the seating on the type of lugs used depend on the wheel or car mounted? (ie: do i have to change the type of lugs everytime i change wheels?)

I know we use a 1.25mm diameter lug but wishy washy on the type (acorn, flat ... etc..)

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsodonis
The worst part about having pneumonia is when your wife tells you that being off of work doesn't mean that you can work on your cars. She threatened to beat me if I even touched either the SVX or the VW Rabbit. Now that I feel better, I spent the better part of the day stripping the drivetrain and suspension off the Rabbit; it's getting all new parts. Once its finished and running again, the garage space is reserved for the SVX for a major service - timing belts, seals, clutch, and anything I find along the way. When you're not painting houses this summer, I could use a hand at night. Call it a East TN mini meet!
Consider it done.... I will be coming down on July 19th as it stands now.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 AM

Thumbs up I agree!

It is rare, nowadays, to find someone who can 'splain something so technical in such a clear, unconfusing manner. Evem I understood it the 1st time.

AAA+ is the grade

Cheers!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Wait......

You put rims on a... minivan? Just kidding. I am definitely coming in July. Just let me know what you want to do and what nights. You-know-who will probably want to come and watch too.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5