How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

50 vs 45

I have four 17 x 7.5 rims to be delivered shortly. The big question is 225-45-17 tires or 225-50-17 tires. I know i'm looking at the height of the tires, but what would most of you recommend. I do have Koni struts with Ground Contrrol Springs on the car.....

THANKS

OKAY it's a done deal 225-45-17 plus they cost less :-) ...these are going at a good price...FALKEN TIRE 225/45/17 ZIEX ZE-512 but i would like to stay with the Yokohama Avids, decisions decisions........
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"

Last edited by rvnmaniac; 04-11-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
225-45-17!!!
It's only 0.11" taller than stock.
A 225-50-17 would be 1 full inch taller and harder on your transmission!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
225-45-17!!!
It's only 0.11" taller than stock.

yep... he is right

Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ditto
-Bill (now SVreXersized!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Ditto
-Bill (now SVreXersized!)

Making room in the signature??

Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Making room in the signature??

Tom

Ah, he's still deciding on Wally or Bought not Billt! I'd think a nice 3 SVXs and not one is faster than a $500 parts car that Dave and Ben have.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Ah, he's still deciding on Wally or Bought not Billt! I'd think a nice 3 SVXs and not one is faster than a $500 parts car that Dave and Ben have.

Oh, I think it's going to be much faster... (I just won't be able to use the stock hood....)

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
225-45-17!!!
Don't take this a nitpicking, it is a very legitimate question. How is a taller tire "harder" on our transmissions? I don't claim to be a super mechanic, but the logic or mechanical apects of this escape me.

I suppose more tire/wheel weight could require more transmission effort, but I don't see how size alone can unless the rotation of the portion of the tire further out on the radius causes the problem. If it is the weight, then we have not been addressing this issue in ALL wheel tire mods.

Anyway I would like to hear some experts opinions on this theory.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 04-11-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Oh, I think it's going to be much faster... (I just won't be able to use the stock hood....)

-Bill
Great Bill is "thinking" again . It would still loose to a $2000 Jag no matter what engine you put in there, plus you'll need to work on the handling big time from what Paul told us.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Great Bill is "thinking" again . It would still loose to a $2000 Jag no matter what engine you put in there, plus you'll need to work on the handling big time from what Paul told us.

Always thinking, my friend

I talked with Paul alot this morning when he dropped the 'reX off and he noted that the suspension might be too stiff. I might just be swapping suspension assemblies around between cars

Paul also mentioned that he strongly believed that the car would get into the 12s. He felt that he was traction-limited, thus only able to do 4 wheel burn outs

-Bill

My Locker
Old 04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Don't take this a nitpicking, it is a very legitimate question. How is a taller tire "harder" on our transmissions? I don't claim to be a super mechanic, but the logic or mechanical apects of this escape me.

I suppose more tire/wheel weight could require more transmission effort, but I don't see how size alone can unless the rotation of the portion of the tire further out on the radius causes the problem. If it is the weight, then we have not been addressing this issue in ALL wheel tire mods.

Lee
a taller tire decreases the final ratio of the drivetrain. this decrease means there will be lower RPMS at speed. This means less flow from the AT oil pump and thuse the fluid not being able to circulate and cool as quickly. The reason the SVX auto overheats and dies is in part due to the 3.545 gear ratio selected for this car. Granted, it may be great for gas mileage BUT it also reduces the flow of the ATF throughout the system and allows temperatures to rise more easily. Thus overheating the transmission and destroying the viscosity of the ATF thus leading to transmission failure. Also, more load is needed to attain the acceleration that the car had before... It all coincides with the ratio found due to tire and differential selection. This is why the 4.44 swap is recomended for people who don't even want to race, becuase of the better ratio the flow of ATF is increased thus prolonging the life of the transmission....phew that was long winded

Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:

Lee
With the tire being taller, the car travels farther for the same number of rotations. Engine and driveshaft.
In this case about 4%.
It might not sound like much, but it does put more strain on the friction materials, and even the gears.
With a heavy, tall geared car like the SVX I would recomend against it.

If your car was differently geared, like 4.44s, it would not be a problem since you have a 37% lower ratio in first, 31% in second, and 25% in third and fourth.

The tire and wheel weight also comes into play.
The less rotational mass the quicker accelerating and decelerating.
If you went from stock wheels and tires that weighed about 40#s, up to the same diameter heavy wheel and tire like some Lexus or Mustang wheels out there that weighed say 48#s, you would feel the differance on your first drive.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
a taller tire decreases the final ratio of the drivetrain. this decrease means there will be lower RPMS at speed. This means less flow from the AT oil pump and thuse the fluid not being able to circulate and cool as quickly. The reason the SVX auto overheats and dies is in part due to the 3.545 gear ratio selected for this car. Granted, it may be great for gas mileage BUT it also reduces the flow of the ATF throughout the system and allows temperatures to rise more easily. Thus overheating the transmission and destroying the viscosity of the ATF thus leading to transmission failure. Also, more load is needed to attain the acceleration that the car had before... It all coincides with the ratio found due to tire and differential selection. This is why the 4.44 swap is recomended for people who don't even want to race, becuase of the better ratio the flow of ATF is increased thus prolonging the life of the transmission....phew that was long winded

Tom
What He said!
I ran the Subaru Select Moniter on a repainted SVX yesterday, and his trans temp went up to 208°f on a 53°f (as I remember ) day!
And his SVX has a factory rebuilt trans with only a few thousand miles on it since it's rebuild!
The reason I mention the fact the car was repainted is that when they repainted the car they painted the AC condenser with overspray!
Paint can work as an insulator!
Heat can kill a trans.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:

Lee
The transmission distributes the available unaltered engine power/torque regardless of wheel size. The wheel size in affect fixes, sets or alters, the absolute final drive ratio, with no alteration in respect of the forces transmitted via the transmission.

The only aspect for consideration is a possible change in the ratios selected for a particular duty or circumstance. This aspect would involve marginal tolerances, which are beyond consideration. What is more there is also the operation of the torque converter to consider, as this "smoothes" the application of power in all gears.

It can not be truly conceived that larger diameter tyres (within reason that is), will be "harder" on the transmission. In point of fact on a long run, the wear factor will be reduced as a result of a taller effective overall ratio.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-11-2007 at 05:48 PM.