Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 AM

Electric Turbo Charger

I've had this idea for a while and just found a company that makes an electric turbocharger.

http://www.electricchargers.com/

While there product looks like a POS, it almost has to be for $100, I think it's a pretty sound idea. It's not as efficient as using exhaust has or being belt driven but it's a whole lot easier to install and should be a whole lot cheaper.

Has anyone seen this before or have any information on a quality electric supercharger?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet

no wait,

Last edited by Ricochet; 03-12-2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
garbage. I cant believe people still buy into that ****.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX

Do you have reasoning for that?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
on a .8l engine it might have those kinds of gains... on a 3.3l that already breaths deep, it is merely a restriction

Tom
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 AM

If you get an upgraded alternator you can have as much as 1200 Watts of extra power (100 amps extra x 12 Volts) when accelerating, that's enough to drive a pretty powerfull vacuum. Now take that power and direct it into the air intake and I could certainly see a significant power gain.

As I already stated that $100 thing is a POS, but that doesn't mean that something similar couldn't work.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Reminds me of the leafblower mod

Might make a difference to my Taurus, which was factory tuned with a 10 pound sledgehammer (a whopping 145 HP out of 3L), but not to a better engine.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 03-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
dumbest idea ever
Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
Do you have reasoning for that?
I do. a turbocharger or supercharger works on a simple principal: Forced Induction.

That tiny fan cannot create any actual "pressure", i would go as far as to say it's more of a restriction, because the engine will draw air in faster than the motor can spin the tiny fan. The only practical electric super-charger i have seen is by Thomas Knight, on a nissan altima. He had to have 6 special batteries and 3 rediculiously complex blowers. It worked, only as long as the batteries could sustain it. Once they ran out, it did not work. The alternator could not produce enough current to keep them going at all times, so he installed a switch for it. You can read the article here:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04..._supercharger/

Nothing for under 2000+$ will give you any performance boost, unless you build hte parts yourself, by hand, but then you pay for it in hours of labor. In short, you get what you pay for.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
I do. a turbocharger or supercharger works on a simple principal: Forced Induction.

That tiny fan cannot create any actual "pressure", i would go as far as to say it's more of a restriction, because the engine will draw air in faster than the motor can spin the tiny fan. The only practical electric super-charger i have seen is by Thomas Knight, on a nissan altima. He had to have 6 special batteries and 3 rediculiously complex blowers. It worked, only as long as the batteries could sustain it. Once they ran out, it did not work. The alternator could not produce enough current to keep them going at all times, so he installed a switch for it. You can read the article here:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04..._supercharger/

Nothing for under 2000+$ will give you any performance boost, unless you build hte parts yourself, by hand, but then you pay for it in hours of labor. In short, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for the link, that guy is taking it pretty far but it's cool to know what is possible.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX
sure. that fan can push maybe 100 cfm. Your engine breaths 230CFM stock, and my turbo setup at 8lbs breaths 570ish cfm. Its a freaking restriction. Better though, test it out and see if it works, then you will have learned the hard way.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet
If you get an upgraded alternator you can have as much as 1200 Watts of extra power (100 amps extra x 12 Volts) when accelerating, that's enough to drive a pretty powerfull vacuum. Now take that power and direct it into the air intake and I could certainly see a significant power gain.

As I already stated that $100 thing is a POS, but that doesn't mean that something similar couldn't work.

My turbo spins at 23,000RPM. the HEAT created from compressing air would melt the plastic blades on that fan, and would most definetly melt the maf.

phil
Old 03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I found the article in a magazine i read ages ago when i was in the air force. The only reason i had any interest was because i owned hte same make/model altima, and his seemed very nice looking. I just did a search for supercharged altima and it popped right up.

In short, anything less will do more harm than good. Unfortuantly, there is no shortcut when it comes to this, as is most things that are worth while, else we'd all be running boosted svx's.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX
I found the article in a magazine i read ages ago when i was in the air force. The only reason i had any interest was because i owned hte same make/model altima, and his seemed very nice looking. I just did a search for supercharged altima and it popped right up.

In short, anything less will do more harm than good. Unfortuantly, there is no shortcut when it comes to this, as is most things that are worth while, else we'd all be running boosted svx's.
I figured that was the case but I wanted more information. This kind of thing may work pretty well with hybrid vehicles as they already have a large enough battery to power an electric supercharger.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Apparently this electric supercharger is available for purchase for any vehicle and is ideal for hybrid vehicles. Prices start at $1695 and units can get up to 750 CFM, which would be more then enough for our SVX.

http://www.boosthead.com/updates.php

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: