How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to fKinger Send a message via Yahoo to fKinger
Question SVX can't stay running

I'm going to start by saying We all Love the way this funny window-ed car performs!

Unfortunetly my car is not. A couple of months ago my OEM rad cracked and i replaced with a PWR rad. I think everything is going smoothly with that. except sometimes I can smell the sweet, pugnate scent of tranny fluid. (?)

Anyways, that's not my problem. two nights ago drove the car for a half hour, (everything A-O.K.) parked it watched movie. after that my SVX wouldn't start (not even a starter tick) Nice person offered a boost, turned over right away, ran fine untill the jumpers came off, then stoppped. This was at midnite and my boogers were freezing in my nose, so I left it of the night.

Friend brings me back the next day, boost it, it runs well by itself for about ten mins, so I attempt the half hour drive home. while driving all of the "dummy" lights were on(albiet quite dim) for about ten mins then went off. All off, except the "check engine" which stayed on.

Three(count em) blocks from my home, the engine has a mind of it's own and is reving(tach and speedo gauges dancing like their on some kind of rave drug ) and some kind of wierd ticking sound, which I couldn't localize because the car stalled agian. one more boost to get it to my driveway then parked.

I love my car, but for the amount of money I spend in repairs, I think I can afford to lease an all new tundra

If anyone could offer suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.
I have some tools, but no hoist or food-a-rac-a-cycle or anything like that....
Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM

I'd venture that your alternator is shot; probably need a new battery, too.

dcb
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to fKinger Send a message via Yahoo to fKinger
I did put the volt meter to the alt. and it was reading 13.9. I dunno someone told me that is not to worry. maybe I should?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I think you have major charging system issues (alternator is shot and new battery). Once you've replaced one or both of those and the ticking/poor driving problem doesn't go away, check out your vacuum lines and MAF.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
Before you spend money you should try and find out exactly what is the problem. You have done a voltage test on the alternator and all would appear OK. Even so there could be a rectifier fault.

What you have reported could be caused by poor battery connections, or an internal battery fault. The interesting thing is that boost connections put things right. Exactly where did you connect the jumper leads? This could be a clue as to whether there are existing bad connections. Put your thinking cap on.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I had an alternator fail on me the exact same way. 'twas the voltage regulator.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
well thats actually not a good charging spec for a dead battery it should be charging in the 14.6 volt range... but before you can condem the alternator you need to replace that battery because it is not holding a charge
need work done? Have tools will travel