Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Do you still have the Fuel pump grounded?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM

No, I have it wired to the ECU. I can keep it running if I keep the revs up but as soon as I let it try to idle, it dies.

Does anyone have a vacumme line routing diagram? I think I have a IAC line not running to the intake. I's @ 3/4" diameter that comes from under the tb. So much was missing when I got this engine that I am having to guess some things.....I think its a vacumme thing. Have to research it though but I'm sure thats not helping.

Interior is reassembled and harness all pretty. Cooling, body and an idlae is all thats left.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:35 PM

try this

Last edited by alltrac; 08-04-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat
No, I have it wired to the ECU. I can keep it running if I keep the revs up but as soon as I let it try to idle, it dies.

Does anyone have a vacumme line routing diagram? I think I have a IAC line not running to the intake. I's @ 3/4" diameter that comes from under the tb. So much was missing when I got this engine that I am having to guess some things.....I think its a vacumme thing. Have to research it though but I'm sure thats not helping.

Interior is reassembled and harness all pretty. Cooling, body and an idlae is all thats left.

Try grounding the fuel pump again....
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 08-05-2007, 12:23 PM

Huck, disconnect it from the ECU and ground it? It will run as long as I want as long as the revs stay up. I assume the fuel pump is diong its job? Or is there another reason to ground the relay? or are you saying to ground the fuel pump pin where it plugs in on top of the fuel tank?

The above diagrams help alot...THANKS! found some others I think need my attention.

The one in particular I'm looking for, is the large one that goes from (standing in front of the car) under the tb out to the drivers side, loops behind the intake (there is actually a holder on the black plastic intake for it to snap into) and I assume runs into the intake after the MAF and before the TB. Its a big one. When the car is idling, you can put your finger over the end, and it is sucking pretty hard. Is that the IAC? The idle issue is all I'm needing at this point. Its as though the car senses a lean condition and is shutting down. But, when you rev it, its obviously not relying on that. Maybe it needs to pull that extra ari through the MAF to get the correct fuel? I'm only assuming.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM

No, not the relay...

Ground the actual ground wire going to the fuel pump...

Cut the ground wire and ground the end that goes to the fuel pump, if that doesn't work, you can plice it back together.....but it is what I had to do on FrankenWedge...
The SVX ECU modulates the voltage to the fuel pump, through the ground wire....which is why it's not getting good pressure after the initial start up.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
That hose connection on the bottom of the throttle body is the hose to the idle air controller. It should run in kind of a loop behind the boot/snorkle/air hose over to the passenger side where it plugs into the boot/snorkle/air hose. That's your main idle control. I don't know if you are using the "snorkle" or not but in any event it must be hooked into measured air (air hose after the mass air meter).

There is also a little bit smaller (soemthing around 1/2" or 5/8") air hose off of the top, driver's side of the throttle body which goes to the cold air bypass valve underneath the manifold and a hose that goes from the cold air bypass valve to the airhose. If you are running a manual transmision it may be best just to block off the connection on the throttle body and the conection on the air hose and not use the cold air bypass. This is necessary in order to effectively adjust your idle rpm and have it maintain a consistent setting that doesn't change when the engine warms up.

If you are using the pcv system it must be closed circuit only using measureed air. All the hoses from the engine most go to measured air (the normal connections on the boot/snorkle/air hose if you are using it). If you let fresh unmeasureed air into the engine the pcv system effectively becomes a large air leak for unmeasured air which will destroy idle and make the car run lean.

Quote:

Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM

Ok.....Huck and LAN....those two posts were EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much! I will do all of that first thing tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

LAN, when I was having problems with start up, I bought another ECU b/c I thought I damaged the first one. That asn't the case and now I have a spare to send to you for you to work your magic!!!! One question I have is, can you make it a more aggresive tune for a track application or is it a stage I or II is what you get?

Thank you all sooooo much!

BTW, who owns this forum? (screen name)
Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Just some dude.

no need to send it to me. the memory adaptor plugs right in. Stage II is what you get.

Quote:
Ok.....Huck and LAN....those two posts were EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much! I will do all of that first thing tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

LAN, when I was having problems with start up, I bought another ECU b/c I thought I damaged the first one. That asn't the case and now I have a spare to send to you for you to work your magic!!!! One question I have is, can you make it a more aggresive tune for a track application or is it a stage I or II is what you get?

Thank you all sooooo much!

BTW, who owns this forum? (screen name)
Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM

I'll have to go to your site and read up on it. I'm kind of glad I went with the stock ECU vs. an AEM or the sort.......
Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 PM

OK read it....but what kind of gains will I see running open headers. I saw the dyno sheet, but it doesnt say base or tuned #'s.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 AM

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

I did everything you all sugested and the car runs flawlessly! Idles smooth as silk, very responsive. Perfect! I was able to install my cooling and bring the car up to temperature, re install the nose......close to driving it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 AM

Sweet...glad you got her going!!!

Looking forward to hearing you're impressions after getting to take it for a spin
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Just some dude.

congratulations, I look forward to seeing her on the road
Old 08-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Thank you guys again. I have to finish the one rear hub and install the brakes, nut and bolt the car and try her out. I'm excited about the car again!!!!!