Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
SVX NEWB!!!

Turbo SVX... question(s)

Alright, my plan for my SVX is this- 5/6speed tranny swap, weight redux (significant weight redux!!!!), and a turbo setup of some sort (with supporting mods of course.) My question is this- is this engine stout enough to handle the loads of more fuel/air? I'm not planning on running 25psi or anything, something along the lines of 8-14psi respectively. I'm just concerned with the actual bottom end (if you will, lol. not sure boxer6's have a "bottom end") and whether or not it will hold up to the extra stress of forced induction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Lucas
Old 12-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-elerate
Alright, my plan for my SVX is this- 5/6speed tranny swap, weight redux (significant weight redux!!!!), and a turbo setup of some sort (with supporting mods of course.) My question is this- is this engine stout enough to handle the loads of more fuel/air? I'm not planning on running 25psi or anything, something along the lines of 8-14psi respectively. I'm just concerned with the actual bottom end (if you will, lol. not sure boxer6's have a "bottom end") and whether or not it will hold up to the extra stress of forced induction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Lucas
The EG33 has 7 main bearing and only 6 cylinders....the bottom end is plenty strong for the range of boost you're talking....but it does have hi compression pistons...so engine management and a IC is definitely needed...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX-elerate

-Lucas

Lucas,
The road has been paved for your adventure. Everything you've stated has been done to date, just not all on one car I'd suggest using the "Search" feature of the site to bring yourself up-to-date. Phil has a running turbo set up, Mike/Old Tom/Young Tom are all running superchargers with between 8 and 12 psi of boost, LAN of ECUTune has the only software available for our ECU. Dave/Ben and Matt have taken just about every pound possible out of their SVXi - both cars still running NA. Young Tom is the current 5/6 spd go-to guy, while Old Tom is the 4.44 AT go-to guy.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 AM
SVX NEWB!!!

Ah, thank you. Sorry about not searching. I failed to notice that feature, lol.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Running more than 10psi is gonna be really tough... I roasted my motor running 12psi with my blower...

Tom
Old 12-13-2006, 06:12 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Running more than 10psi is gonna be really tough... I roasted my motor running 12psi with my blower...

Tom

I would tentativily place 10psi as the limit for stock internals on GOOD pump gas. What i mean by this limit...

Use your ears and your senses, but dont be suprised if it goes kaboom. I plan on running 9psi on pump gas( have previously ran 3.5ish and 9.5ish) and 11 psi on E85 at the track, fuel permitting(should not be a problem as i switch over to 2v7F)

phil