How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

Red face WTB: SVX Tranny or Swap?

Recently the transmission for my 92 SVX AWD Auto went and died on me. The car won't get to forth now and third is a trial. I could get it rebuilt, but I think it will be less expensive to find a rebuilt or lightly used svx transmission and have that put in.

I am considering a swap from another car, but not being a gearhead I hardly know what to buy. I hear you can use the tranny from an outback, is that right? What other cars have a tranny that will fit?

If you have a tranny to sell or have any advice or can direct me somewhere that I can learn more about a swap it would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Just do a search here, theres sevral hundred thousand words written about tranny swaps. More or less any suby tranny will bolt up, but some require more modification than others to work. you may want to send a private message to SvxFiles, he is our resident know it all on the outback tranny swap. If you were looking to shell out a little more cash, you could go with a manual tranny. Tom'sSVX would be a good person to contact about that. Like i said, a search will work wonders

Welcome to the forums btw
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 PM

Is the transmission slipping? My first SVX wouldnt shift out of first gear sometimes, but once it did, there was no slippage between gears. It had a transmission mount that needed to be replaced. But then the tranny did go out 10k miles later. If you can find the transmission shop that does the work for the automobile repair shop, you can get it done for about $800.
Dont buy a used transmission, u never really know.And if it only has 40K miles on it, its life is half over. Maybe the LLbean edition outback transmissions are better though. I know they have a 3.0 H6 motor. good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus
Recently the transmission for my 92 SVX AWD Auto went and died on me. The car won't get to forth now and third is a trial. I could get it rebuilt, but I think it will be less expensive to find a rebuilt or lightly used svx transmission and have that put in.

I am considering a swap from another car, but not being a gearhead I hardly know what to buy. I hear you can use the tranny from an outback, is that right? What other cars have a tranny that will fit?

If you have a tranny to sell or have any advice or can direct me somewhere that I can learn more about a swap it would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

I was searching for transmissions with a 4.11 or 4.44 ratio and they all seem to light truck and vans. Is this right?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohanjv
Is the transmission slipping? My first SVX wouldnt shift out of first gear sometimes, but once it did, there was no slippage between gears. It had a transmission mount that needed to be replaced. But then the tranny did go out 10k miles later. If you can find the transmission shop that does the work for the automobile repair shop, you can get it done for about $800.
Dont buy a used transmission, u never really know.And if it only has 40K miles on it, its life is half over. Maybe the LLbean edition outback transmissions are better though. I know they have a 3.0 H6 motor. good luck
It's doing a lot of slipping between 2nd and 3rd and won't reach forth. Two transmission shops have told me it will be around $2500 to rebuild. Something about the Band and plate being broken.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
It's doing a lot of slipping between 2nd and 3rd and won't reach forth. Two transmission shops have told me it will be around $2500 to rebuild. Something about the Band and plate being broken.
I sent you a PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:14 AM

Thats too high of a price. Where do you live?

Quote:
Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Homo Sapien Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohanjv
Thats too high of a price. Where do you live?
Vienna, Virginia. Just outside Washington, DC
Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well to keep things simple... If you want a manual conversion... come to me... If you want an auto 4.44 or 4.11 svxfiles is your man

Tom
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
depending on when you do it i may be able to help with labor

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 12-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Slipping between 2nd and 3rd, and woun't reach 4th. This sounds like the brake band needed adjustment.

Would be worth a try.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Homo Sapien Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Slipping between 2nd and 3rd, and woun't reach 4th. This sounds like the brake band needed adjustment.

Would be worth a try.

Harvey.
Yeah the mechanic said the band was busted. Maybe it just needs an adjustment. Still I think a swap would be better in the long run.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Just remember, when you do get it rebuilt/replaced/swaped, etc, Defantly install an aftermarket Tranny Cooler... as it will extend the life of it

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)