Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 11-17-2006, 03:33 AM
boostin to the outer space

Megasquirt in a SVX, how hard is it?

Hello everyone,
Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Nicolas, and i'm, as of a few days ago, the proud owner of a 1994 SVX (gulf specs, no O2 sensor, etc..)
Now i know the following had been adressed numerous times before, but i still fail to get all the info needed.
what i have in mind is to fit twin turbos to my car, and in order to have a clear idea of what is needed, i first need to know how easy is it to implement Megasquirt on the SVX, while retaining all the creature comfort in the car.
The car will be a daily driver, so A/C will still be functional. the car will also be converted to MT, using the STI 6 speed tranny.
I also know that ecutune is another option for me, but i already have tons of experience with Megasquirt, running fuel and ignition, as i have installed it an EJ20 N/A JDM engine (150 bhp stock, 180 with headers and megasquirt) that i have swapped into my porsche 914, along with a suby 5 speed FWD manual tranny, the EG33 was my first choice, but limited cooling capacity on the 914 decided otherwise .
So before adressing the twin turbo's setup and all the mechanical mods (which will be adressed in another thread) needed to make it run (lower CR, intercooler, etc...) i would like to know what problems i might be facing in implementing a standalone ECU on a daily driver.
I'm a mechanical engineer by training, so such mods are not a problem for me.
i just need to know how the electricals in the SVX work, and what is ECU dependent and what is not.
Regards
Nick
Old 11-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Hein?????????? where you live bro????? lebanon???????

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:11 AM

i am lebanese living in Qatar, own a 94 Pearlie with the intent of boosting it... are you in lebanon currently?
Old 11-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Kewl!!!!!!!! ahlan bik bel forum my friend and good luck with the EG33!!...

Unfortunately I am in lebanon right now... looking for a better job where YOU live

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-17-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Network Design Administrator

I have been to Qatar :-)
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:57 AM

Registered SVX
Megasquirt 2 can run the EG33. You need to modify the crank sensor.

AS to keeping the creature comforts, it shouldn't be too hard.

The automatic might be harder though, although there's just the torque control function that links the two...maybe it's not that hard?

I have an MS2 ready to go for next year...ran out of time and money for this year.

Matt
Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 AM

On my EJ20 i'm using MS1 with MSnS, running wasted spark, and getting my signal form a custom made 36-1 toothed wheel, easier to implement than with subaru's crank and cam wheels, although some people on MS's board are trying to make it run with the suby's wheels..
MS1 is much better if you want to use ignition, much more straightforward. i'm using VB921 igniters, with the subaru's coil pack.
So i think i might go with MS1 using COP for the EG with a 36-1 toothed wheel...

Last edited by Giugiaro; 11-17-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
Megasquirt 2 can run the EG33. You need to modify the crank sensor.

AS to keeping the creature comforts, it shouldn't be too hard.

The automatic might be harder though, although there's just the torque control function that links the two...maybe it's not that hard?

I have an MS2 ready to go for next year...ran out of time and money for this year.

Matt
Hmmm, I wonder what difference there is between megasquirt 1 and 2. Which best suits the EG33???

Old 12-07-2006, 05:19 AM

Bump for the original question. Anyone running on MS1 ?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Dont know anything about the ECU, but I do have a comment on the tranny. I would stay away from the JDM STi trannies if your planning on daily driving on any kind of Highways. At 70mph my car turns over 3000rpms. If you get a US Sti tranny or a tranny from the STi Forester, the upper gears are much better for drivability. The Forester being the better, but harder to find.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
As far as I know, Matt is the only one on this Network that is working with the Megasquirt.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-07-2006, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX
Guys, I plan to have it installed next month. It was a bit too rushed to try and get it going before the last rally, so we parked it.

We'll be tackling some rewiring too, so the combination of both will be squared away shortly.

The next event for me is the 3rd or 4th of February, so hopefully before then.

Matt
Old 12-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giugiaro
Bump for the original question. Anyone running on MS1 ?
MegaSquirt II has the capability of running a IAC. It also has the ability to expand via the GPIO board which will be able to do just about anything you want from traction control to electronic trans control (this is in testing and is close to release). It has the ability to implement knock retard for turbo systems, and a lot of other nice features.

MS I is the prior version, and has been around longer. Because it has been around longer it has more programs wrote for it. The ecu can control nitrous, electronic fans, boost control and some other fun stuff. This ecu is about maxed out and as MS II grows will be phased out.

The nice thing is that you can start out with MS-I and then buy the $40 MS-II chip and it is a 5 min install to change over. I currently have only played with MS-II.

Everything MS can be found here
http://www.megasquirt.info/v22manual/mtabcon.htm

Here is a link to the install on my 1987 Pontiac Fiero when it had the origional motor.
http://www.realfierotech.com/phpBB/v...ht=mega+squirt
Old 12-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Stand alone

I run a tec II stand alone on my SVX. It tuned well. Good drivability. When you get to a certain point I can send you my maps. I like the idea of the MS2, especially if you have experience with it. I would let the stock ecu control IAC. Leave all the sensors in. Disconnect the check engine light. Connect the check engine light from the MS2. You will need the MS2 since you are also going to need to adjust the timing for boost. Believe it or not you will need more advance. New fuel injectors are a must. Injectors from a 96 Nissan 300 zx will work as well as Infinity (year? model?) and nismo fuel injectors. I run 550 cc/min. LAN runs 750 I think. You can get away with a lot less. Figure your cc/min should be comparable to your HP goal. I doubt you will get more than 375 HP without more engine mods. I need to post pics of my setup, so you can see how I did the crank position sensor. You can pick up a WRX lightened pully to mount your toothed wheel.

Good Luck
Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I need to post pics of my setup, so you can see how I did the crank position sensor. You can pick up a WRX lightened pully to mount your toothed wheel.

Good Luck
please do