How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM

Arrow Black Day

Oh what a dark day. I have been doing maintenance to my car, trying to knock out all the small stuff because I start a new job on monday.

I have done the TB bypass, replaced some power steering hoses, and sealed my air box better at the fender......thats it.

So I had to do alot of highway driving today. For the past few months its just been normal roads. I also want to mention that I put in premium gas, I usually run the cheap stuff. Ok back to the driving.

I was headed to a location and I noticed the car was running a little different. When I got there I noticed that my car was idling a little higher than usual.

I start heading home. The gas pedal felt like a completly different car. Cruising at about 40mph I give it some gas and it feels like its choking and stalling hesitating kinda thing.

So I remained at the same speed and made it to my road. While idling down my road the car will shake every now and then and choke and shutter.

I get to my parking spot and put the car in neutral. I rev it up to 2-3k and the car sounds strange and its still idling at about .7-.8 when normally it idles at .5 when warm. So at this point everything sucks.

So I get out of the car and leave it running and pop the hood. I look under the hood and there is smoke rolling off the top of the engine near the firewall. So I jump in and kill it.

To put a cherry on top of the whole thing I just bought a new radiator for it.

What could be causing this.

Last edited by Archer999; 08-01-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
Oh what a dark day. I have been doing maintenance to my car, trying to knock out all the small stuff because I start a new job on monday.

I have done the TB bypass, replaced some power steering hoses, and sealed my air box better at the fender......thats it.

So I had to do alot of highway driving today. For the past few months its just been normal roads. I also want to mention that I put in premium gas, I usually run the cheap stuff. Ok back to the driving.

I was headed to a location and I noticed the car was running a little different. When I got there I noticed that my car was idling a little higher than usual.

I start heading home. The gas pedal felt like a completly different car. Cruising at about 40mph I give it some gas and it feels like its choking and stalling hesitating kinda thing.

So I remained at the same speed and made it to my road. While idling down my road the car will shake every now and then and choke and shutter.

I get to my parking spot and put the car in neutral. I rev it up to 2-3k and the car sounds strange and its still idling at about .7-.8 when normally it idles at .5 when warm. So at this point everything sucks.

So I get out of the car and leave it running and pop the hood. I look under the hood and there is smoke rolling off the top of the engine near the firewall. So I jump in and kill it.

To put a cherry on top of the whole thing I just bought a new radiator for it.

What could be causing this.
Could be a blown ATF line dripping onto the exhaust. I just had the same thing happen to me a week ago. It was a cheap fix for me, I wish the same for you.

Stephen
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 PM

Arrow ATF Line

I have been planning on replacing the ATF lines.

I know it would cause the smoke. Could it also cause the sputtering and choking?

All advise is greatly appreciated. NO idea is to small to post. If you have a guess throw it out there. I have to get this car road ready by monday.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM

Arrow sputter ...choke

I am going to replace the ATF lines.

I took out my air filter. I have had this car about 2yrs and never changed it. It has some sand and stuff inbetween the folds.

Could this cause such a dramatic sputter and choke?

The filter looks like a cheap one. My local auto parts store has a Hi-Flo K&N filter for $40

Last edited by Archer999; 08-01-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer999
I am going to replace the ATF lines.

I took out my air filter. I have had this car about 2yrs and never changed it. It has some sand and stuff inbetween the folds.

Could this cause such a dramatic sputter and choke?

The filter looks like a cheap one. My local auto parts store has a Hi-Flo K&N filter for $40
Niether a leaking ATF lines nor the sand in your filter are going to cause the car to run that crappy.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM

yeah

Thats what I was afraid of. What about a MAF sensor. It seams strange that the car was idling a little high.

I am open to suggestions.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Niether a leaking ATF lines nor the sand in your filter are going to cause the car to run that crappy.

Yeah it will cause it to smoke but not run like that. Is the car giving you any error codes or anything like that? When my water pump seized the car ran like **** and smoke was coming out of everywhere but i doubt thats what is causing your problem. MAF could be the culprit.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-19-2006, 05:22 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Try to trace it back to what you were working on last. You mentioned the air box and PS lines. Check anything near the PS lines and the MAF connections. Try resetting the ECU too, after burning what I assume is 87 octane premium may be a shock to the system. Also check the piping on the intake if you disconnected any of it. A PS fluid leak eg. crossthreaded fillings could spray fluid on the exhaust, cause vacuum problems or spray fluid on ignition components.

Last edited by michael; 10-19-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:35 PM

Arrow Ecu

Do I reset the ECU by just removing the neg battery terminal for a little while.

I know it resets my radio stations

But this really does suck. Im gonna go look at everything and check my tranny fluid and drive across the street to the store.

It just sucks, im doing all this work in an apartment complex parking lot. Man 'oh man, If I only had a garage for two days. I have to have this car road ready by monday for a new job

Oh yeah, there is no check engine light on. So that is the only way I know to check for error codes.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Arrow Road Test

Ok just got back from the store. Same sputtering problem.

You know how on the front of the engine the are those 2 what look to me like timing covers on the front. They are black plastic on the front of the engine. Does this car have 2 timing belts or something.

Any way I notice that the timing box on the passenger side clicks everytime the car sputters. Maybe something maybe not?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I learned recently that when the coolant is removed, the thermostat while in the air will oxidize and that can cause it to stick and overheat. So anytime the coolant is removed the thermostat is supposed to be replaced to prevent overheat. This is from a person I know with a lot of Subaru experience. it could be part of your problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM

Arrow Cam belt

Ok those two black plastic things im trying to describe I think Is the cam belt. So the cam belt ticks on the passenger side everytime the car sputters.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:21 PM

There is one timing belt that runs from one head to the other across the engine. Timing belt could be bad, skipped a tooth and valve(s) stays open when it shouldn’t. this could cause exhaust to come up through the throttle...its just one possibility. I would remove the timing belt end caps and try to visually inspect the timing belt for anything obvious. Then I would remove the intake tubing from the throttle body and run the car. (running without a filter for a few minutes wont hurt it) this should give you a chance to pinpoint where the smoke is coming from. Also are you sure it’s smoke and not steam?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The timing belt is inside the plastic covers. You hear ticking coming from the engine? It is most likely the hydraulic lifters.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:27 PM

Arrow Steam

Im not ruling out the possibility that it could have been steam. I really dont know. It was white but I could not tell what was producing it.

I will take off the plastic intake off the throttle body and open up the plastic part on the front.

When you say obvious you mean missing teeth broken plastic pieces and stuff like that. I have never had to deal with timing. This sucks