How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I need new tires. Recommendations?

Well it is getting to the point where I have to buy new tires. Does anybody have any recommendations for an all season tire? I liked the Continental Xtreme Contact very well for noise, wear and SNOW. The tire is great in the snow and rain, charges thru the standing water. Very good traction in the snow, the surefootedSVX. However they do take a set over night and tend to go thump thump thump…. until the set comes out. This of course is worse in the cold weather and also more noticeable when the SVX sits for several days which is not to often for me. In the cold weather it can take 2-3 miles for the set to come out. In the warm weather the tires do not always take a set and when they do it takes a few hundred feet to go away.

So I may just go with the ContiXtremes again and put up with the set unless someone has a better Idea.

Thanks

John
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
take a set of what?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-16-2006, 09:05 AM

This refers to the part of the tire that touches the ground. It tends to get a flat spot in it and when the tire rolls the tire is not round. There is a thump every time the tire rolls thru the place that is not round. So I refer to it as taking a "set".
Old 09-16-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
i see. in my head i am now hearing the thump-a-thump-a-thump you get when driving down concrete streets.

as for tires, i was thinking of the yokohama avs dbs2 because of the quiet factor, but i hear the continentals are better in the snow. i have blizzak ws-50s year-round on my svx, but only because my orignal re-92s were starting to rot on the sidewalls with only 9000 miles. when i put into daily driver service, i plan to get some summer tires.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 AM

Has anybody heard of the FALKEN ZIEX ZE512 tires?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Yes and they aren't a bad tire for the price BUT my tire guy tells me that Falken tends to change patterns quite often on the same tire model so you're taking a chance that if you blow one you might not be able to get a replacement that is the same. I've heard good things about the Mastercraft tire. I think MikeCJ has 'em on his car at the moment (as far as a cheaper good performing tire).
Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM

Yeah I know what you mean So I am thinking I'll get six tires. I have enough rims for this. The last set of tires I got I ruined two over 6 months from highway junk. I plan on rotating the extras to keep the wear even. Beav recommended this a game plan or even getting one extra tire.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
Has anybody heard of the FALKEN ZIEX ZE512 tires?

If you have not yet purcahsed these tires, DO NOT DO SO.

They ride great for about 5,000 miles. then they get loud. They have a 30,000 year warranty, but they wear fast, and weird. I went through my fronts at 14,000 miles, and Sears would not honor the warranty because of "uneven tread wear"

I will NEVER buy Falken tires again. They hold the road great, and they're awesome in rain and snow, but they don't last. My next set will be Toyo Proxes.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 PM
#1 6MT In Cali

Send a message via AIM to gest24
I've been running Toyo Proxie FZ4s for almost a year now. They're nice tires and wear evenly. My only gripe is they're not the best for AutoX/Etreme Handling. Like today when i was being spirited on a freeway on ramp and they were talking back to me the whole way around, didn't lose traction just squeeled.

I also used BFG KDW and KD Sports with good results as well.
1992 SVX LS-L: Now TomStock Stage 3... 6MT, R180 Rear, Tomstock Short Shifter and hard rubber mount, Group N Motor and Tranny Mount, Stage 2V6 Chip, Z32 MAF, Stage 3 CAI, Stebro, Intake Cams, 17" STi BBS Powder Coated Black, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, and Koni inserts w/Mychailo's Springs!

Sand Diego SCCA Solo 2 #308

RIP
84 VW Scirocco
02 WRX
88 XT6(regret the day I left her behind)

socaleuro.com They like the flat 6...

Check My New Homepage..
Old 09-23-2006, 09:17 PM

Sorry to thread jack but

Anyone got any recommendations for NORMAL driving? I dont race or corner all fast and stuff, I would just like a quiet, nice ride. I want tires that are relatively cheap as well, but still at least a B rating on traction. Any recom. where to buy for cheap? I know its 'you get what you pay for' most of the time but I am quite frugal being a University student and all
Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I've been driving some form of vehicle since 1990, and the best tire I've ever had on my cars is the BFG KDW2. I cant yet say how it preforms in snow, but I hold traction in the rain better now with the KDW's and stage 3 than I did with the Kumos and stock engine.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
The cooper zeon sport.... These are the all seasons I have on my rx7 wheels on the teally. Really good for traction and low noise. i have put quite a few thousand miles on them and really show no wear. Plus at about 100 bux a tire they are a decent price too. Tread pattern is nice looking and the over all tire looks good. This is a good choice for an all season and comes HIGHLY recommended

Tom
Old 09-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I've been driving some form of vehicle since 1990, and the best tire I've ever had on my cars is the BFG KDW2. I cant yet say how it preforms in snow, but I hold traction in the rain better now with the KDW's and stage 3 than I did with the Kumos and stock engine.
The BFG's are horrible in the snow. They are a summer high performance tire. I rode in my Bro's Z in the snow with these tires and feared for my life the entire ride

Tom
Old 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat
If you have not yet purcahsed these tires, DO NOT DO SO.

They ride great for about 5,000 miles. then they get loud. They have a 30,000 year warranty, but they wear fast, and weird. I went through my fronts at 14,000 miles, and Sears would not honor the warranty because of "uneven tread wear"

I will NEVER buy Falken tires again. They hold the road great, and they're awesome in rain and snow, but they don't last. My next set will be Toyo Proxes.
Funny, Falkens aren't made to last forever. Nothing with a decent tread compound is or does. I've put 14,000 miles on Azenis' but then again, I do rotate my tires every other oil change.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I can't think of any V rated rubber that won't 'spot'. Spotting occurs whenever a warm tire is parked on a cool surface. Prevalent in V and higher rated tires due to nylon being used in their construction. That means that old tires with nylon belts do the same thing.

When a tire spins fast centrifugal force wants to pull the center of the tread out. That makes for poor handling and tire wear patterns. Most of us know that when you touch a nylon windbreaker (especially a thread) to something hot it shrinks and curls. Sooo.... when a nylon belt gets warm from high speed it also shrinks a tad and keeps centrifugal force from destabilizing the tread face.

Personally I can take the spotting but I'm tired of tires that get noisy as hell and ride rough after they accumulate a few thousand miles. My next set will be H rated. Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch about handling degradation, etc., consider that with the short sidewalls of a 50 series tire will keep that to a minimum. Besides, not everybody drives over 90 for great distances. And of those that do, how many replace, rather than repair, their tires when they have a puncture? A puncture repair renders the speed rating to nil, you know... Now remember, for the sake of liability, this is what I am going to do and it is not a recommendation for others to follow.