Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2006, 01:16 PM

need help rebulding auto tranny

Against the advice of this forum, I went ahead and replaced the friction discs on the 4eat from a kit. $250 total plus my labor(hobby). It ran 4000 miles until, while driving to anniversary dinner a sudden jolt and overdrive was lost. I exited the next ramp-4-5 miles- no connection to trans in low gear- it coasted to a stop at a gas station. Towed home, dropped off car and out for dinner.
In forward or reverse just made loud noses- occasionaly in reverse it would lurch for a foot or two. I have dismantled the trans again and found the front input gear and the sun gear with the 4 planet gears stripped.
The brake band appears new- no serious slippling. Does anyone have experience with what I might have done wrong. I did not notice problems during the 4000 miles. I was carefull during the asembly process so I do not think I have a foreign object stuck in the gears. I doubt you could force the internal gear into the assembly without a proper mesh but I cannot be sure at this point.

I had looked for an automatic, awd vehicle as I injured my back which has left my "clutch" leg very weak. That is why I am trying to make the auto svx work.

What auto trannies if any from other other Subarus could I obtain?

All help appreciated.

Anyone want to part out their auto tranny?

Thanks

John
92 svx
Old 05-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Do some searching and you will find that there are many 4EAT alternatives (better ones)

1. 4.44 swap - probably the best, uses a 4EAT from a legacy outback. You will have to redo the rear diff also, but it is not overly hard.

2. 4.11 swap - probably the easiest to find, you can use a variety of legacy/impreza transmissions here. This also requires changing the rear diff.

3. Level 10 4EAT - costs a lot, but should last about forever

If you are willing to try re-building yourself again, I'm sure there are a few dead SVX 4eats laying around that you can get some parts from.

Good luck.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy
Do some searching and you will find that there are many 4EAT alternatives (better ones)

1. 4.44 swap - probably the best, uses a 4EAT from a legacy outback. You will have to redo the rear diff also, but it is not overly hard.

2. 4.11 swap - probably the easiest to find, you can use a variety of legacy/impreza transmissions here. This also requires changing the rear diff.

If you are willing to try re-building yourself again, I'm sure there are a few dead SVX 4eats laying around that you can get some parts from.

Good luck.
I'd recommend a 4.44 from an outback. They are stronger trannies than the 4.11's found on the 90-94 Legacies. However, they are in shorter supply. The 90-94 Legacy 4.11 4EAT's and rear diffs are a dime a dozen..literally. They also make the swap extremely easy as everything bolts up and connects up just the way it's supposed to.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM

what should I expect to pay -roughly for one with 120,ooo miles?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy

Good luck.
some quetions from the newbee

i'm assuming the 4.44 and 4.11 are final drive ratios. What is a level 10 4eat

thanks

nipper
Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivfour
In forward or reverse just made loud noses- occasionaly in reverse it would lurch for a foot or two. I have dismantled the trans again and found the front input gear and the sun gear with the 4 planet gears stripped.
The brake band appears new- no serious slippling. Does anyone have experience with what I might have done wrong. I did not notice problems during the 4000 miles. I was carefull during the asembly process so I do not think I have a foreign object stuck in the gears. I doubt you could force the internal gear into the assembly without a proper mesh but I cannot be sure at this point.
My best guess would be springclip came off someplace and got eaten. Auto trannies are not that hard to rebuild assuming all the hard parts are good and you have the proper tools. What can screw you up is c-clips and spring clips that are not fully seated.

nipper
Old 05-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Hey Nipper welcome.

The Level 10 4EAT is a transmission kit or whole transmission from NJ. They have probably the best 4EAT tranny for the SVX. Their valve body are much better than any stock SVX, Legacy, or Impreza

The Legacy 4.44 are a better bet for areas that have a lot of hills and they are stronger than the 4.11 Impreza transmissions. If you want a 4.11 (like me) I would use one out of a Legacy GT, around a 97. The lower the mileage on the donor car the longer it will last.

Important rules to follow

1. have the torque converter flushed or rebuilt. Rebuilt is better.
2. New filters, add an external one if you have not already.
3. External oil cooler, heat kills our trannys
4. You must have a matching rear if converting to 4.44 or 4.11.
5. The ring and pinion of the rear must be swapped into the SVX rear. SVX has a LSD rear.

If you tackled rebuilding the tranny then this will not be a problem You could also try to rebuild your tranny with Level 10 parts too.

The best fix for our transmission problems is a 5mt or 6mt conversion.

Related docs.
Tranny swap info
Swapping Rear Gears

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 AM

My two cents on Trannys.

A lot depends on what you want to do to your car and how much you want to spend. I am doing a turbo charger and expect to be running well in excess of 300 HP so I went with a Level 10 rebuild. I don't even trust an STi 6 speed to handle the power, and don't forget the additional weight, of the SVX. I have heard of problems with the 6 speed even with tuned STis running in the 350 + range, which is what I am expecting for power out of my FI SVX.

If I were keeping the engine stock, I would still want to go with a better rebuild, in light of the difficulties people have with there trannys. I got 130k out of mine, but many other folks had problems earlier on. So a level 10 tranny might be good even for a stock application. Maintenance is of course important. Switching to a transmission with a more favorable gear ratio may also gain you some performance, but again, They are not built for the power and weight of the SVX, so I'm not sure about longevity. With a stock motor a WRX 5 speed might be fun, and should handle the power. A modified SVX, say engine management with bigger fuel injectors I would go with an STi 6 speed just to be safe. Forced induction I would go with a Level 10 modified automatic, of any gear ratio you choose, without a doubt.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Found a 1994 trans from turbo legacy - 80,000 miles wants $1000
guy says it is probably easier to take my front diff and insert in this trans than change my rear diff. Comments? Is this reasonable price?
I live in Denver area

John
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 PM

WARNING, on the ultimate sooby board turbo trannies are avoided because they take a beating and the clutches werent really up to the job. You may want a regular legacy tranny

nipper
Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 PM

avoided turbo tranny- found 1996 legacy with rear diff.

What parts are not compatable- so far the spedometer drive on the new one is two pin. was 3 pin. Drives not compatable to swap speedo tops either

Torque converters not same. Transmissiion parts distributor is insisting on tc code from old tranny. Not sure what the code yields.