Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 AM

charge indicator light on

today i got a charge indicator light on, at the same time, the brake system light,
and the stop lamp came on.

when the engine is idle the lights turn off.

when the temperature goes up, the fans won't turn on, but strangely, i turn the ac on and the fans kick in and the warning lights turn off.

help appreciated.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:28 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I'd say you've got alternator problems. When the alternator isn't putting out enough juice, the brake system light usually comes on with it.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I'd say you've got alternator problems. When the alternator isn't putting out enough juice, the brake system light usually comes on with it.
agreed 567890
Old 04-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I doubt that this is under-voltage related. The brake warning light circuit incorporates a pair of diodes to block a sneak circuit. A faulty rectifier network within the alternator, will result in AC being generated and imposed on what are normally DC circuits. As a result this rogue voltage will bypass the diodes and illuminate the lamps.

N.B. I am not trying to show off my knowledge, or negate that which has been said, but rather to be informative. The diagnosis is perfectly correct, in that the alternator is the bad apple.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:40 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I'll keep that in mind. I knew the basic fact...when the alternator is going, the brake system light usually shows up as well. I did not know about the sneak circuit stuff, but that is interesting to know, thanks
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
I doubt that this is under-voltage related. The brake warning light circuit incorporates a pair of diodes to block a sneak circuit. A faulty rectifier network within the alternator, will result in AC being generated and imposed on what are normally DC circuits. As a result this rogue voltage will bypass the diodes and illuminate the lamps.

N.B. I am not trying to show off my knowledge, or negate that which has been said, but rather to be informative. The diagnosis is perfectly correct, in that the alternator is the bad apple.
Very interesting. Thanks Trevor!