How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to tommy96LSi
Thanks for the diagram Beav. This will undoubtedly help me a great deal.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Formally Capuano

Just thought I'd update the group on my "stutter". It's still there, although I've noticed that it's MUCH less of a problem on these cold Ohio days. But when the outside temperature gets over about 45, it's back. I got a set of three coils from Budfreak a few weeks back, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I figure I'll start with the easy side (right), grease up the boots, and see if the stutter goes away. If not, I'll swap out the three coils on the driver's side. Wish me luck.

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine
Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy
Just thought I'd update the group on my "stutter". It's still there, although I've noticed that it's MUCH less of a problem on these cold Ohio days. But when the outside temperature gets over about 45, it's back. I got a set of three coils from Budfreak a few weeks back, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. I figure I'll start with the easy side (right), grease up the boots, and see if the stutter goes away. If not, I'll swap out the three coils on the driver's side. Wish me luck.
Insulation breakdown in HT coils very often comes about only when there is an increase in the temperature of the windings. Even so I would not have expected ambient temperature to have affect. However extremes are another thing and you are very likely on the right track.

You could have a problem in using coils, which I gather are not new, in a process of testing by substitution. Keep this in mind in an effort to counter any possible confusion. Go to it,

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
How's it going Cappy? Get ahold of me buddy.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Ok well now that I've replaced the knock sensor, I still have a misfire, similar to that of Cappy's. Although when I start up the car, a large white cloud of smoke billows from the exhaust. I've heard that this could possibly be a fuel injector?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Good lord.. this sounds like a problem we're all just going to have to live with. Tom did my 5mt swap and says the car still randomly sputters, so I guess I can rule out the tranny. Getting a new maf sensor thrown in but my hopes aren't high.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Formally Capuano

I put a new MAF sensor in last year and it didn't help very much. I remember someone suggesting it was a bit of leakage in a fuel injector, so I'd thought about putting in a new set. Has anyone ever tried this?

Hey Budfreak! As soon as this lousy snow & ice subsides a little, let's have some lunch.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:12 PM

hey Cappy, any updates on your stutter? I have a new coil, new sparkplugs (NGK double platinums), new knock sensor, and new intake collector gasket** all on order from 1stSubaruParts.com. I hope everything will straighten up and run a lot more smooth (its unbelievable the amount of power loss I have ) once I install the parts sometime this weekend.

**(figured I would replace it since I want to take the intake off to get at the knock sensor better, as well as fart around underneath there).
Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 AM
Formally Capuano

Hey Tommy,
It was running smooth during this latest cold snap, but as soon as we got a few warm days last weekend, it started it's stuttering idle again. I figure it must be something electrical, since it goes away when it's really cold outside

I'm hoping whatever the problem is gets bad enough to throw a code. I'm also going to replace the coils, one side at a time to see if that does it. She just rolled over 170,000 last week, and for her "birthday, she burned up a front bearing for me

So, you're taking off the intake cover, eh? Let me know what you find. I've really thought about it, but I'm afraid all the sensors & wires might be so brittle that I'll need to replace everything under there. Of course THAT might be my problem, huh

Let me know how it goes.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 AM

Hopefully everything under there is in agreeable condition for you (luckily my grandpa is a classic car restorer and kept this baby in mint).

I found a great dealer's part department. Kerven Subaru in Pennsylvania had the cheapest prices anywhere and I also don't have to pay the shipping they charge from the west coast. Of course they had to special order the parts, but they aren't charging me anything additional (all i have to do is wait a couple of extra days). I'm trying my hardest to stay patient, but whenever I get into the driverseat I feel like I'm an eight year old in a candy shop.

Next week is going to be crucial. I can't wait to see if she responds well to all of this. The weather is perfect here (Charlotte, NC) and I can't wait to get the sunroof open and enjoy the sun.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
So, you're taking off the intake cover, eh? Let me know what you find. I've really thought about it, but I'm afraid all the sensors & wires might be so brittle that I'll need to replace everything under there. Of course THAT might be my problem, huh

Let me know how it goes.
-cappy
Hey mang.

I would go ahead and take that thing off, at the very least, you are going to have broken brittle hoses under there; be good to your car and replace em!

Its really not the nightmare everyone says it is.

Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
i think there is a post on IATN about this the owner of a shop couldnt figure it out and i posted it on here, but they discribe the problem as "surging"

link ---> http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35440

the fix is worth a shot.. it is free
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM

Cool

Not a bad idea. If it STILL isn't fixed after I install all this new stuff, I'm definitely going to try it out. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Peace Sells... are you buying?

Quote:
Not a bad idea. If it STILL isn't fixed after I install all this new stuff, I'm definitely going to try it out.
Let us know if it works or not.

It appears I may have the same problem... but my SVX just passed the 58,000 mile mark.

For whatever reason my condition began immediately (literally) after filling up at my usual gas station. Originally I thought it might be the gas but normally bad gas won't produce a flat spot (or surge or whatever) only around 1800 RPMs.

New tank of gas... still does it. Fuel injector cleaner... still does it.

I'm taking it in for it's 60K mile checkup at my Subie dealer so I'll have them change the plugs before they begin the diagnostic procedure. These guys are great mechanics and one of the technicians drives an SVX on a daily basis so maybe they can figure it out... or maybe not.

Ira
Old 03-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Peace Sells... are you buying?

To heck with it.

Even though I don't have a lot of time right now I decided to check the engine codes.

I came up with 22, 32 and 37. A knock sensor and two O2 sensors, a pretty easy fix if it works.

Got the sensors ordered and I'll let you know if it takes care of the problem.

Ira