Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 02-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Of course it will sound a bit louder without that mesh. A big part of that may be that there is more surface area throught the mesh to absorb or disperse sound waves that there would be with straight pipes. Also consider it like this....If your in a rather large pipe and you yell...it will seem alot louder than if you were outside. This is because the soundwave is reflected and channeled back to you rather than being dispersed.
Anyway, back to the topic on hand...You can always try it. I recommend replacing the cats with a staight pipe rather than trying to shell out the cat..that way if it doesnt sound good, you can just weld the pre cats back on if it doesnt sound good.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-16-2006, 07:04 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I can't just weld the primary's back in... They are shot... When my old engine was in there, just after the rebuild process wos complete, they got cooked... I mean to the point of GLOWING a bright orange... After that, and after my new engine, I have been getting a slight reduction in power (just barely) and more rattling... I don't have any heat shields, so that is eliminated... The only thing that I could think (because my girlfriend was riding behind me when I roasted the cats last summer and saw chunks of glowing "metal" coming out of the exhaust) is that my CATS are shot... That is why I am examining some possibilities... As far as daily driving the car, I don't... Infact, I haven't driven the SVX in over 2 weeks... It is now my toy/autocrosser/weekend car... My Diesel VW is my daily driver and will continue to be (with fuel prices the way thatt they are).... Anyway, I would like to go with some form of CAT in the exhaust. I just don't know any good brands out there... The idea about punching out the CATS was really just me being courious of what it would sound like... Also, anyone know the diameter of the pipe to and from the Primary CATS??

Thanks guys

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-16-2006, 08:36 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
People seem to be having the most success with the Magnaflow 2-into-1 cats. The 2-into-1 design seems to cause less resonance than a y-pipe followed by an inline cat, and the 2-into-1 cat has a larger brick so it should cause the least amount of flow resistance.

I've got a brand new one that I can sell you for a great price. Its been sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
so mychailo do you suggest putting two resonators before the 2-1 cat to get rid of the resonance because it resonates really bad with just the 2-1. REally really bad and really really annoying. cause its right in the money rpms..Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:38 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-fast-svx
so mychailo do you suggest putting two resonators before the 2-1 cat to get rid of the resonance because it resonates really bad with just the 2-1. REally really bad and really really annoying. cause its right in the money rpms..Thanks for the help.

Yes, it will help quite a bit. Another cheap trick would be to make one primary longer than the other. I haven't tried it, but this could be more effective than the resonators. It would change the exhaust sound of the car though. It would probably sound a little rougher.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
People seem to be having the most success with the Magnaflow 2-into-1 cats. The 2-into-1 design seems to cause less resonance than a y-pipe followed by an inline cat, and the 2-into-1 cat has a larger brick so it should cause the least amount of flow resistance.

I've got a brand new one that I can sell you for a great price. Its been sitting in my garage collecting dust.
I don't need a 2-to-1 CAT... I have the three peice Stebro (just like you) and I'm not giving that up for anything. I am just looking for some good primary cats to replace the stockers... Metallic CATS prefferable..... Anything under $400 would be great....

Also, the exhaust diameter at the Primary CATS... Is it 1 7/8th inches??

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-19-2006, 10:40 PM

mbtoloczko How Much...

for your 2 into 1 cat? I'm getting ready to do an early Chike 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust system. And in Calif. I'll be smogged again in Aug. And I don't have a problem with clean air. Do you take Paypal?
By the way...thanks for all of your technical info. Very helpful and much appreciated.
TRIED TO PM YOU BUT YOUR BOX IS FULL...
WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 02-20-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Mbtoloczko

Tried To Pm You But Your Box Is Still Full...
Wgj
Old 02-20-2006, 12:54 PM
sans SVX

Try again. I cleaned it out this morning.

Visit my locker

Old 02-20-2006, 04:56 PM

Doesen't anyone know of some good CATS that are High-flow and don't cost an arm and a leg???

Also, the measurement of the inlets and outlets of the primary CATS.... Anyone know that too???

Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Doesen't anyone know of some good CATS that are High-flow and don't cost an arm and a leg???

Also, the measurement of the inlets and outlets of the primary CATS.... Anyone know that too???
OEM primary cat inlet ID: 1.71"
OEM primary cat outlet ID: 1.61"

The Magnaflow ceramic substrate cats are fine. Metal substrate cats may flow better for a given brick size, but if you want better flow from a ceramic substrate cat, then get a cat with a bigger brick.

Visit my locker

Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 AM

Do ya think that a CAT with a diameter of 2" would work on our stock pipes?? Found the cats that I want and they come in 1.75" and 2" sizes... Just wondering which ones would be best to get... Thanks

Old 12-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Do ya think that a CAT with a diameter of 2" would work on our stock pipes?? Found the cats that I want and they come in 1.75" and 2" sizes... Just wondering which ones would be best to get... Thanks
I would use the 1.75" Chris. Closer to the original dia, if the dia/volume is too much bigger, it will cause the sonic wave to reflect at the cat, instead of further back in the system.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
I would use the 1.75" Chris. Closer to the original dia, if the dia/volume is too much bigger, it will cause the sonic wave to reflect at the cat, instead of further back in the system.

Harvey.
Good stuff, thanks harvey, that is exactly what I was looking for

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 PM

i have nothing to ofeer except this......

mine has no "pre-cats" and still has the stock exhaust
the 2 pipes feed into one large cat then straight back to the muffler
it sounds fine, with no resonances that i've noticed...

(did cdn models only have the one cat? or is my exhaust not 100% stock?...it sure LOOKS fatory original....)

ps.........after we got the tranny in, we started 'er up to see if it would even run(purchased as a basket case).....NO exhaust system....straight outta the manifolds!!
and i'll +1 to the soundin MEEEEAN !!!!
bwuhahahaahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!

rob

92 ebony 4.44's rock !!