How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Loose CV Joints

I was replacing my tranny mount over the weekend and saw something I do not like. The inside cups on the front axles are very loose. This is a check I do when I remember to do it and the cups have gotten a lot looser since the last time I checked. These are the green larger part on the front axles next to the transmission. I think the fit between the axle and tranny shaft is okay and it isn't the axle that has worn out. I think it is something that holds the transmission shaft that has worn. So the question I have is this. Is he bearing in the tranny worn out? Is the fit for the bearing worn out? Is the axle most likely bad or close to being bad? Has this ever happen to any one else? I think it is the result of driving around without the rear wheel drive part of the AWD working. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
My guess would be that if the stub shafts and/or their bearings were growing clearance you'd also have a big leak from the seals. The axles just slide on to the stub shafts and are cross-pinned with a roll pin, not exactly a precision fit. I suppose the question of the day would be are you having any unexplained vibration, especially under acceleration?

Beav
Old 03-11-2002, 10:41 AM

(Beav is on line)
There is not a drop of oil coming out of the differential housing. So that doesn't make sense. Unless it isn't loose enough yet.
Yes there is some vibration at highway speed but not under acceleration and the vibration doesn't seem any worse than usually. The road I ride is pretty rough.
Both axles appear to have tha same amount of move ment. The way I found this was by holding one wheel still while I rocked the other back and forth. The whole cup can be seen twsting and rocking. Bad cv joint? Bad spline
Old 03-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
(Beav is always online, just not always present - kinda like real life)

I think what you're seeing is normal. Holding one wheel while rotating (trying) the other will show the amount of play in each shaft and mating splines, not just where you can see but also inside where the stub and side gear fit together. Plus add in clearance of spider gears and ring to pinion. Adds up to a considerable amount.

Normally when you experience a vibration during acceleration it will almost always be caused by a bad or loose drive joint, whether a cv, detroit or a cardan type joint. High speed driveline vibrations are usually out-of-balance or bent shafts.

If you're still concerned have someone take a peek at it, that's better and cheaper than to repair it after it lets go. I can't tell from here. (not cool - blind)

Beav
Old 03-11-2002, 07:15 PM

Do you think they should move about .06 inch ?

I was thinking. Do you think the car would work if I took out the front axles, install just the ends of my old axles in the wheels (take apart the old axles at the outer cv) and put the car in full time rear wheel drive? (disconnect solenoid "c")