How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-04-2006, 05:38 AM

Thumbs up I have an intercooler question for you guys,

I got this ad for an intercooler:
used. couple of dings and bent fins; but what do you expect, it came of an 02. comes with the stock BOV (BOV does not have recirculating hose attachment (that thing that connects the bov to the recirc hose)). $30.

Is this hose something I can replace easy or need? This is for my TD04 upgrade to my XT and since I have to adapt other things I was wondering if this is ok. Price seems fair to me. Came from a friend of the guy I got the TD04 from.

I'm still new to this turbo stuff and dont really understand what everything does. Getting my stock IHI turbo rebuilt after work tonight so I can get the car back on the road for the rest of the winter and park the SVX back in the barn.

Thanks again for the answers guys.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcat55371
comes with the stock BOV (BOV does not have recirculating hose attachment (that thing that connects the bov to the recirc hose)). $30.
Not a very hard hose to replace. If you can't do it, your average mechanic can for a nominal fee.

If the price is right, get it. Just make sure there are no cracks in the intercooler. If bent and dinged a lot, a few small cracks could form which will lead to a boost leak...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-04-2006, 08:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
You can make your recirculation hose out of anything. It's a rubber hose that just feeds the air the BOV lets off back into the intake.

All you need to do is find out what size the hose needs to be coming off the BOV and get some hose and cut to the length you need to get it back to the intake.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 01-04-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
You can make your recirculation hose out of anything. It's a rubber hose that just feeds the air the BOV lets off back into the intake.

All you need to do is find out what size the hose needs to be coming off the BOV and get some hose and cut to the length you need to get it back to the intake.
Correct. But I wouldn't say *anything*...

I prefer to go with at least OE style hose (available from parts stores) to make sure it it doesn't crack or blow off at high boost pressures.

-Chike

Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
The recirculation hose won't see any kind of high boost, it's just a hose that leads the blown off air back into the intake. It will never create pressure like the intercooler pipes because the intake side is open to the environment.

I understand that OEM is usually better, but this is going to be somewhat of a frankenstein project, and OEM probably won't fit.

You could hit the parts store and check their molded rubber hoses to see if anything they have would fit your application.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
The recirculation hose won't see any kind of high boost, it's just a hose that leads the blown off air back into the intake. It will never create pressure like the intercooler pipes because the intake side is open to the environment.

I understand that OEM is usually better, but this is going to be somewhat of a frankenstein project, and OEM probably won't fit.

You could hit the parts store and check their molded rubber hoses to see if anything they have would fit your application.
I always thought that at high boost pressures that the blown off air will be under high pressure at the BOV side...

Molded rubber hoses from a parts store is the way to go. He could probably pick some good stuff up for $5 as opposed to $30 for the OE.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Air is only pressurized if it doesn't have area to expand to. Once that air gets released from the BOV, it can flow back into the turbo, or back out into the engine bay through the air filter.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Air is only pressurized if it doesn't have area to expand to. Once that air gets released from the BOV, it can flow back into the turbo, or back out into the engine bay through the air filter.
I agree with you. I was just explaining a misconception that I had. I'm still learning a lot about turbo systems...

Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Hater

you could get a 100% atmospheric BOV (for the *WHOOSH*!!!) and not have to worry about that hose, but the hose will be much cheaper.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
I agree with you. I was just explaining a misconception that I had. I'm still learning a lot about turbo systems...
So am I! I've come a long ways in automotive knowledge since owning the SVX. I wish I would've known then what I know now! I might still be driving it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
you could get a 100% atmospheric BOV (for the *WHOOSH*!!!) and not have to worry about that hose, but the hose will be much cheaper.
You don't need a new BOV, just leave the hose off. I'm not sure if the XT has the MAS sensor before or after the recirculation fitting, but if it is depending on that metered air, taking it away is going to make it run rich at idle and between shifts which will make it run like poo. Sounds kewl tho!

Old 01-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Hater

Quote:
You don't need a new BOV, just leave the hose off. I'm not sure if the XT has the MAS sensor before or after the recirculation fitting, but if it is depending on that metered air, taking it away is going to make it run rich at idle and between shifts which will make it run like poo. Sounds kewl tho!
i was joking about the BOV. it will run crappy as you stated above, because the engine will be assuming the air that is blown off is still going to the engine, and it will add gas accordingly. will dirty up the exhaust tips, too.

the recirculation hose on my LGT is a rigid plastic piece about 1/2" in diameter, if i remember right, but i'm sure any reinforced bulk rubber hose that fits would be sturdy enough and work fine.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Lol

OK, I bought it and the other guy I got the turbo from is giving me a hose.
Wooo Wo

Parts are starting to come together. Now I'm kinda looking forward to loosing my job so I have time to do this. Got to have something to releive the stress of job hunting.

thanks again guys
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Hater

pics of teh XT Turbo project?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
pics of teh XT Turbo project?
Agreed. Get some pics up of the engine bay in it's current state as well as pics of the parts (TD04, up-pipe, intercooler, etc) as they start to arrive at your house.

-Chike

Old 01-05-2006, 05:35 AM

OK, I will try to remember them...

I brought my stock turbo down to get rebuilt last night so I can drive the car the rest of the winter. I bought a stock turbo from a person on this forum for 105.00 shipped but it's got to much sideplay and the fins are filed from the side play so it's junk. Guy doesn't answer my email either. Oh well, kinda pissed about it but I can understand someone not knowing if it's good or bad so I'm not saying names. Just wish he would answer cause I would like a couple other things and would think he would give me a deal.

Anyway, All the parts are coming from a Capt in the Air Force out in Ohio. Have talked to him on the phone and he seems like a straight forward guy. Told me if any of the stuff isn't what he said he would give me my money back. TD04 should be here by the weekend. All the gaskets to replace my stock one should be here today at the Subaru dealer. They give us guys in the MNSUBARU club a pretty good discount on parts and some on labor. I really hate driving the SVX in the sloppy weather here and I don't have enough miles on it yet to trust it far but I do have a warrenty for 23,000 miles yet.

Only thing I need to do is still find someone to weld exhaust mods for me. I'm pretty sure I can handle the rest just from info I have found on USMB site.
I bought a nive wirefeed welder last summer but I'm not good enough yet.

Sure would like a turbo on the SVX

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: