Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-27-2002, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSSVX

oh i didn't know that you're a girl. that's interesting...why would you pick and buy the SVX??

are you the only girl?? maybe we need to add up one more column of gender under the profile... but you're not the only SVX lady driver i know...... i saw about 5-6 SVX lady drivers in my area....from young to old ...from beauty to pretty... colors like teal, blue, pearl, maroon, black... what color are you?
[/

i'm white, but my pride and joy is pearl. i choose this particular car because it was different. i hate seeing the same cars all the time driving down the roads---death to the inventor of the dodge neon---i bought this svx because it was in great shape at a great price for around here at least. i got an even better deal then originally offered. i just could not get over between the get "extras"-leather, sun roof, suede, stereo, and that engine- how the heck did they stick all that speed under that hood? it is all around the greatest mixture of all the right stuff under one hot body style. the car is style. i never owned a subaru. i really never even checked them out before. but i made an exception for this beauty!

Kelli

ps- Aredubjay- you are exactly right. this is what they were trying to explain to me in "the stupid girl" words.

as for everyone else, thanks much, i'm going to forward the info you gave me and see if that is that. and if anyone can find a good diagram, so they know what they are looking at (that is besides an engine that they know nothing about) that would be helpful too.

Last edited by SHISVX; 02-27-2002 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:05 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Is it significant to make enough of a difference?

The point I was making is that speed can be calculated "close enough" from engine speed, trans gear ratios, final drive ratio and tire circumference.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR
Is it significant to make enough of a difference?

The point I was making is that speed can be calculated "close enough" from engine speed, trans gear ratios, final drive ratio and tire circumference.
Not to pick nits but there's no point to be made. "Gee officer, I didn't know I was going that fast, maybe I should have changed my tranny fluid." Why do things the hard way?

Beav
Old 02-27-2002, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Not to pick nits but there's no point to be made. "Gee officer, I didn't know I was going that fast, maybe I should have changed my tranny fluid." Why do things the hard way?

Beav
tears have always worked for me. the speedo is schedualed to be fixed next week, please pray for me!!

thanks for all your help
Kelli
Old 02-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

tears have always worked for me. the speedo is schedualed to be fixed next week, please pray for me!!

thanks for all your help
Kelli
Unfortunately they never did a thing for me except almost land me a 'prom date'. If you're that good at it maybe we should get together and go on a coast-to-coast speeding spree.

Beav
Old 02-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

thanks for all your help
Kelli
Well, if I thought it would work . . . NAH! I'm sure if I walked into the tranny shop and started blubbering, the sight of a fat boy from Kentucky crying would just make them laugh themselves silly.

Now, a fat boy . . . from Kentucky . . . with a gun . . . now, that's another thing altogether.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-27-2002, 04:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Well, if I thought it would work . . . NAH! I'm sure if I walked into the tranny shop and started blubbering, the sight of a fat boy from Kentucky crying would just make them laugh themselves silly.

Now, a fat boy . . . from Kentucky . . . with a gun . . . now, that's another thing altogether.
Nah, that's been done to death....

Beav
Old 02-27-2002, 05:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

Nah, that's been done to death....

Beav
I need to talk to someone about getting a "rimshot" smiley and one that grimaces.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Quote:

Beav
Since I am already in a pretty pissy mood from work, I'll pick some nits.

First, if your hydraulic slippage on the converter is enough to make the calculation from engine rpm be off that much, I think you have a bigger problem.

Second, the only ticket you would get would be for going too slow, as the slippage would cause the car to be going slower than the calculated speed.

Third, I never meant to imply that this would be a preferred method of measuring the speed of the car, only that engine rpm MAY not be totally meaningless to a speedometer - that it COULD be done that way.

With that said, you can have the last word if you would like it.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

I'm not in a 'mood', good or bad.

Typically a convertor slips 4%-10%. Temperature is a factor. If Detroit had thought that it was close enough to not make any difference they wouldn't have speedo cables on cars that also have tachs.

You're right regarding the ticket, I was making a joke and not concerned about the actual physics. I bow to your attention to detail.

If you felt that I was argumentative or that my replies were a personal attack, geez, I'm sorry.

Beav
Old 02-27-2002, 05:52 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:

Now, a fat boy . . . from Kentucky . . . with a gun
crying hysterically
Quote:
. . . now, that's another thing altogether.
Truly scary!
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:21 PM
One teal and One yellow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHISVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX

oh i didn't know that you're a girl. that's interesting...why would you pick and buy the SVX??

are you the only girl?? maybe we need to add up one more column of gender under the profile... but you're not the only SVX lady driver i know...... i saw about 5-6 SVX lady drivers in my area....from young to old ...from beauty to pretty... colors like teal, blue, pearl, maroon, black... what color are you?
[/

i'm white, but my pride and joy is pearl. i choose this particular car because it was different. i hate seeing the same cars all the time driving down the roads---death to the inventor of the dodge neon---i bought this svx because it was in great shape at a great price for around here at least. i got an even better deal then originally offered. i just could not get over between the get "extras"-leather, sun roof, suede, stereo, and that engine- how the heck did they stick all that speed under that hood? it is all around the greatest mixture of all the right stuff under one hot body style. the car is style. i never owned a subaru. i really never even checked them out before. but i made an exception for this beauty!

Kelli

ps- Aredubjay- you are exactly right. this is what they were trying to explain to me in "the stupid girl" words.

as for everyone else, thanks much, i'm going to forward the info you gave me and see if that is that. and if anyone can find a good diagram, so they know what they are looking at (that is besides an engine that they know nothing about) that would be helpful too.
hey hey hey..what..what.......did you get me wrong or think--you're a stupid girl--to buy an SVX?? Not that what I meant. Could it be the problem I didn't read the threads enough miss something or this is not my native language? I was just interested to know why a girl would pick and buy an SVX? -- Never read the explanations before and like to know!! In fact, you've a different taste. Good to know that you like the car. I'm COLOR. I never owned a subaru. I talked to my friends, awd drinks more gas, more stuff to break=more stuff to fix. For this beauty, I made the exception -- own one -- love it alot.

Good Luck to your speedometer. In fourth gear, about 2rpm it's 60mph. When it's 3rpm it's 90mph. So if you drive 2.5rpm at the interstate, you shouldn't worry about any ticket. Anyway, your tachometer works, too? Does your odometer work? You may have the same problem as my professor's SVX, but he isn't free to get it fixed. His tachometer works, so I just told him what rpm is about equal to what mph.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-27-2002, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSSVX
[B]
hey hey hey..what..what.......did you get me wrong or think--you're a stupid girl--to buy an SVX?? Not that what I meant. Could it be the problem I didn't read the threads enough miss something or this is not my native language? I was just interested to know why a girl would pick and buy an SVX? -- Never read the explanations before and like to know!! In fact, you've a different taste. Good to know that you like the car.

i don't like the car...i am in love with that car. what is your native language anyways. the mechanic thinks that i am a stupid girl. he explained what the problem could be like i was still in 1st grade!!! why did a girl pick a svx you ask.. well let me see. i am not your typical girl. i actually find the car more interesting then the self-absorbed guy sitting behind it(you know the type.." i spend more money on my car then i do for my education") i like speed and individuality not to mention the overall style of this beauty. everytime i come on this site, i learn more and love it more. oh, and about that info about the tach, thanks that's good to know. i had an idea that that was about right, but i wasn't sure. anyways the last time a cop pulled me over we spent 20 mins talking about my car. he was surprised to find out that the credits for it belong to subaru.

Hey Aredubjay!! you were the one asking me about the sun roof cover right?? well if you were i talked to my friend and he said that he wouldn't mind giving it up(he understands the problems with finding parts) we just have to go out there and take a look in daylight to see if it is good shape

sorry so long!
Kelli
Old 02-28-2002, 08:49 AM

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SHISVX
Quote:
Hey Aredubjay!! you were the one asking me about the sun roof cover right?? well if you were i talked to my friend and he said that he wouldn't mind giving it up(he understands the problems with finding parts) we just have to go out there and take a look in daylight to see if it is good shape
Kelli
Yeppers, that was me. If it's in good shape, PM me with a price. I'd appreciate it -- maybe you can just bring it to the Reading meet and we can have a "workshop" on changing the panel. I'll also be doing my usual Novus demo -- I just got a new supply, all 8oz bottles of #'s 1, 2 & 3.

As a new owner, I suppose you've already found the neat little extras on the SVX: Steering wheel memory function (for those of you wondering why the steering wheel pins your knees to your seat)? Telescoping steering wheel control? Winter wiper position? Light brightener on the end of the headlight stalk . . .
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-28-2002, 09:30 AM

Quote:

As a new owner, I suppose you've already found the neat little extras on the SVX: Steering wheel memory function (for those of you wondering why the steering wheel pins your knees to your seat)? Telescoping steering wheel control? Winter wiper position? Light brightener on the end of the headlight stalk . . .
i read the book on this front to back...i still don't know why by telescoping steering wheel control doesn't work. i tried tugging at it from all positions, and i don't want to break it. i don't have to worry about my knees getting hit, cuz i'm tiny. and no, i am not a dwarf just a little vertically challenged! i will know by the end of this weekend about your part. between his work and mine and my school, we have a hard time meeting up. about taking it off if it is good, are there any problems i will encounter?

Kelli