Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 AM

Need expert svx mechanics advice

I was hoping to get someone's advice on my svx 94. A lot of things have been done from replacing the cooling system to replacing the engine and yet after thousands of $$$ , I still have a car that barely runs. Everytime I take it out of the shop, something happens to it the next day and once it's taken back something else is wrong with it. I'd like to fax or email all the records done to the SVX and would need someone's advice to see if the mechanic is just experimenting w/ my svx costing me tons of $$$ and has no idea what he's doing

I also need some to tell me if the later problems are caused by the work done prior . I believe if things were done wrong it could result to more problems.

I am willing to pay a consultation fee. Direly in need of help.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM

You won't get any expert advice from me, but I think the first thing you need to do is find another shop to service your car. At the very least, when Shop A says you need this or that, get an opinion from Shop B.

If you'll post specifics about the sort of problems you're having, there are knowledgable folks here who can offer you solid advice. Also, use SEARCH to unearth a wealth of information. Good luck.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 08-26-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:12 AM

I Can Tell You That Not Even The Dealer Mechanics Are Familiar With The Svx, So You Have To Make Sure That Your Mechanic Do Work At Least In Subaru's. Post The Records Maybe We All Can Help You Out On That. But Up To This Point Is Very Hard To Know Exactly What They Did In You Car. All I Can Tell You Is That Everything Is A Bussines And People Will Do Anything To Make Money. (not Everyone Is That Way)...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
You won't get any expert advice from me, but I think the first thing you need to do is find another shop to service your car. At the very least, when Shop A says you need this or that, get an opinion from Shop B.

If you'll post specifics about the sort of problems you're having, there are knowledgable folks here who can offer you solid advice. Also, use SEARCH to unearth a wealth of information. Good luck.

dcb
the thing is, I've already spent a ton and wanted him to get the job done right. So far the dealer that's been recommended on this site is not far from him and they are a good 45 mins. away. I will try and post the records of what were done on monday as I will be away for the weekend.

thank you.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite
I Can Tell You That Not Even The Dealer Mechanics Are Familiar With The Svx, So You Have To Make Sure That Your Mechanic Do Work At Least In Subaru's. Post The Records Maybe We All Can Help You Out On That. But Up To This Point Is Very Hard To Know Exactly What They Did In You Car. All I Can Tell You Is That Everything Is A Bussines And People Will Do Anything To Make Money. (not Everyone Is That Way)...
I understand that. He knows his subaru and I've been told he was one of the top Subaru mechanics w/ the dealer until he decided to start his own shop. I have realized that the SVX is a totally different monster compared to the other suby's.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A good mechanic is a good mechanic, the make and model of car has little to do with whether or not they can fix something. Being experienced with a particular model makes the work easier/quicker at times but it isn't a requirement to have a job completed successfully. That would be akin to a cook going from Friday's to Chilis and no longer being able to broil a burger or a doctor that can only work on caucasians. Don't get hung up on the SVX being mystical or if someone has SVX/Subaru experience. Personally I'd be hard pressed to allow anyone with less than fifteen years experience do more than basic maintenance on a car.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
A good mechanic is a good mechanic, the make and model of car has little to do with whether or not they can fix something. Being experienced with a particular model makes the work easier/quicker at times but it isn't a requirement to have a job completed successfully. That would be akin to a cook going from Friday's to Chilis and no longer being able to broil a burger or a doctor that can only work on caucasians. Don't get hung up on the SVX being mystical or if someone has SVX/Subaru experience. Personally I'd be hard pressed to allow anyone with less than fifteen years experience do more than basic maintenance on a car.
Amen to that! My Swiss mechanic confirmed that the radiator & hoses & thermostat had been installed correctly. It's just that the other mechanic had my car for a whole week while searching for my overheating problem and missed bad head gaskets (or didnt' bother checking, figuring the car wasn't worth it? ), and never mentioned anything about leaking transmission or rotten brakes or a few other minor items which wouldn't affect heat. I figure just about any GOOD mechanic should be able to spot bad brakes. Even I knew that they were going, but didn't realise just how bad they were. And a decent mechanic would/should have said "by the way, while I was taking a look, I noticed...." and then listed things requiring immediate repair, and hopefully also mentioning questionable items that seem worn or soon to go, meaning I should keep an eye/ear out for them, or even take preventative measures.

A second opinion is never a bad idea. I'm glad I went back to my Swiss guy, 'cause I was a bad accident just waiting to happen. After all, the other guy told me to "keep on driving and let's see what happens"!

I had excellent service with my Swiss guy. Guess he spoiled me. But come to think of it, my Canadian mechanic was also that good. Guess I've been spoiled most of my life But SVX's need to be spoiled, too!