Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Suspension tuning..

some general guidelines...

Correct for understeer:
Raise front tire pressure
Stiffen rear shocks
Soften front shocks
Lower front end
Soften front sway bar
Stiffen rear sway bar
Increase front negative camber
Stiffen rear springs
Add weight to rear of vehicle

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I am looking for a bar to mearly improve my times and help me handle the course much better than this past sunday. I don't want to make it a race car but still want it to perform like one... It is a double edged sword for me... Would that modified rear bar do what i want it to or will it not be enough for me either? Maybe bring it to the challenge and I could maybe borrow the trailer for the racer for a quick install of new bushings and a rear bar... Let me know what u think, I trust your opinion...

Tom
The best way to improve your times Tom as I'm sure you already know is seat time especially with an instructor. It is also far cheaper. The SVX overall isn't a very good autox car at all. Even when modified (as Bills is and he still lags 5 seconds behind the G stock Minis!) Ours definately is a limited shell but Dave and I really don't care as we can be somewhat competative locally, definately not nationally though as we don't have the money or aftermarket support. We sure do generate some interest though. As for the rear bar, you'll need to decide is it is worth the consequences as with any suspension change for every good there is an equal bad but really, I don't think you're quite qualified to make a judgement on that yet (don't get offended) but until you're running consistant times against consistant drivers any changes are really a shot in the dark as you're not able to tell if you're dropping times because of the change or if you're just learning the course. Just as Jesse said he was trying to take the slolom as straight as possible illustrates in many cases you'll be faster by not always taking the shortest line. Granted I didn't see the course but most slaloms unless they are at a start are about maintaining speed by using the cars motion as a pendulum so you do tend to go out a little futher. Each course is different as camber, road surface, decreasing radius turns and about 500 other variables come into play.

Personally, first thing I would do is pick up a rule book (you can download it from the scca) and after figuring out what class your in (I'd guess Street Mod) then start thinking of getting a set of used stickies and mounting them on those spare rims you have and also get a harness as you'll be amazed how much time you pick up from that (my guess is more than what you'd get from changing your bar). Then in 15 or so autoxs start looking at other stuff.

Like I said Tom don't get offended just giving suggestions by experience. I'll be the first to tell ya that our racer was probably 2 years ahead of both Dave and I as far as our abilities driving, just as your car right now is ahead of your abilities. This is why you see small light good handling low horsepower cars posting good times. It isn't that horsepower is bad, it is just a lot harder to handle most of the time on a course. One of our local SCCA board members (excellent driver) is looking for a car for the Subie challenge. He can't use ours as you're only allowed 2 drivers per car but if you want to let him drive yours I'll promise you that he will be 3 seconds fastert than you would on a 40 second course, in your car taking it easy so as not to break anything. This past Sunday was the first time I think I've acutally beaten his actual time in his 95hp Honda and I chalk that up to his 102 degree temperature and the dayquil.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I found this on our local Auto-x forum, does this help?

Old 08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
The best way to improve your times Tom as I'm sure you already know is seat time especially with an instructor. It is also far cheaper. The SVX overall isn't a very good autox car at all. Even when modified (as Bills is and he still lags 5 seconds behind the G stock Minis!) Ours definately is a limited shell but Dave and I really don't care as we can be somewhat competative locally, definately not nationally though as we don't have the money or aftermarket support. We sure do generate some interest though. As for the rear bar, you'll need to decide is it is worth the consequences as with any suspension change for every good there is an equal bad but really, I don't think you're quite qualified to make a judgement on that yet (don't get offended) but until you're running consistant times against consistant drivers any changes are really a shot in the dark as you're not able to tell if you're dropping times because of the change or if you're just learning the course. Just as Jesse said he was trying to take the slolom as straight as possible illustrates in many cases you'll be faster by not always taking the shortest line. Granted I didn't see the course but most slaloms unless they are at a start are about maintaining speed by using the cars motion as a pendulum so you do tend to go out a little futher. Each course is different as camber, road surface, decreasing radius turns and about 500 other variables come into play.

Personally, first thing I would do is pick up a rule book (you can download it from the scca) and after figuring out what class your in (I'd guess Street Mod) then start thinking of getting a set of used stickies and mounting them on those spare rims you have and also get a harness as you'll be amazed how much time you pick up from that (my guess is more than what you'd get from changing your bar). Then in 15 or so autoxs start looking at other stuff.

Like I said Tom don't get offended just giving suggestions by experience. I'll be the first to tell ya that our racer was probably 2 years ahead of both Dave and I as far as our abilities driving, just as your car right now is ahead of your abilities. This is why you see small light good handling low horsepower cars posting good times. It isn't that horsepower is bad, it is just a lot harder to handle most of the time on a course. One of our local SCCA board members (excellent driver) is looking for a car for the Subie challenge. He can't use ours as you're only allowed 2 drivers per car but if you want to let him drive yours I'll promise you that he will be 3 seconds fastert than you would on a 40 second course, in your car taking it easy so as not to break anything. This past Sunday was the first time I think I've acutally beaten his actual time in his 95hp Honda and I chalk that up to his 102 degree temperature and the dayquil.
Tom,
I'll just add to Ben's well thought out comments...
The SVX basically has too much going against it to be really competitive at a National level, yet it can be competitive on a Regional level. As Ben noted, I've done just about everything you can do to the SVX, handling wise, only to find myself 4-5 seconds (a lifetime in autoX) behind '05 Mini Ss. While a certain amount of this is due to driver skill (or lack thereof ), the bottom line is that the SVX is a big car for autoX'ing. This doesn't mean that you can't have a ton of fun driving it (which is why I keep doing it! )
I'm just about at the point where there is nothing left to do to the car (at least from an autoX standpoint )and my focus will be entirely on getting more driving time. Having watched the National-level drivers at FedEx long enough now, there are seconds to be found by driving the right line!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

David,
Neat figure! It's really more applicable to road courses.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I really appreciate the feedback guys.. I am not insulted in any way, I am a novice and I know it. I will be taking notes from you guys as long as you are willing to preach. I am no pro-driver but I am merely trying to learn the limits of the car as to suit me better in daily driving. I would not call myself a slouch either. With my SVX cranked konis on a 4 corners I was able to shoot down some modded porsches and even a stock wrx. It was a ton of fun and I will be doing it more often, I am not sure if I want to compete though... Like I said, I want the car to perform like a race car but still be able to go get groceries and take corners hard enough to throw the groceries all over the trunk . Anyway... I am probobly not going to get sticky tires this season and may be able to get them next season. Either way, don't think I will be quiting drag racing either as this is still my true passion..

Tom
Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
With my SVX cranked konis on a 4 corners I was able to shoot down some modded porsches and even a stock wrx. It was a ton of fun and I will be doing it more often, I am not sure if I want to compete though... Like I said, I want the car to perform like a race car but still be able to go get groceries and take corners hard enough to throw the groceries all over the trunk .

Tom
We typically run a couple seconds better than comparable WRX drivers and about even with the best of 'em in our regional area. It really isn't a good autox car unless it is raining or it isn't a tight course plus its a daddy bought car for most of the kids driving them and they don't have a clue how to keep it in the power band. Most original RS Imprezas are better suited as they are classed a little better (GS against minis though). I'd hold onto those rims and keep your eye out for some used Kuhmos on ebay (that Bill isn't already bidding on). For 200 or so you should have a good year of sticky left provided you don't drive 'em to the track. As for groceries are you serious? We can fit a ton of groceries and then 3 kegs into the race car!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm

Great David! Its telling us to lower our front suspension more! Where the heck do they want us to put the tire at? Grind out the top of the wheel well?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Great David! Its telling us to lower our front suspension more! Where the heck do they want us to put the tire at? Grind out the top of the wheel well?
and there's a problem here?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
and there's a problem here?
-Bill

They just posted the results from Sunday Bill. Take a looksee. Its getting there! Just need to go lower up front and hope they sweep the pebbles from the course!

http://www.scca-susq.com/results/200...-axresults.htm
Old 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Looks like Dave had a little trouble not hugging the cones....

Tom
Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Tom
He was complaining about the new tires and the nice flat spot I left in 'em.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I think the correct phrase is "Dave coned away his run"
-Bill
p.s. congrats Ben!!

My Locker
Old 08-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
They just posted the results from Sunday Bill. Take a looksee. Its getting there! Just need to go lower up front and hope they sweep the pebbles from the course!

http://www.scca-susq.com/results/200...-axresults.htm
Great times, Ben. The "RAW" times tell the tale......

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:

Tom

No trouble whatsoever....

I didn't hug them... I slammed 'em