How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-10-2002, 02:46 PM
0260N4

Warranty vs. Stereo

Hey everybody I got myself into a bit of a prediciment so I thought I would post it here to get some feedback. As some of you know I bought an extended warranty when I got the car, it still has about 21k left on it and basically covers everything. However by doing anything aftermarket it will invalidate that portion of that warranty.

On the other hand I have a very nice stereo setup I took out of my last car that would sound GREAT in the suby. I listen to music all the time and hate crappy quality sound. I have already replaced the fronts and the tweeets but I dont think this will affect my warranty. My concern is that I pull out that deck and replace it with my own and then something happens to the electrical system, which I can ill-afford to repair, and the warranty wont cover it.

What would you do?

0260N4
Old 02-10-2002, 03:03 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I have installed a panasonic cd player on my car before. It's not hard and you really can't screw up the electrical system by installing a stereo.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-10-2002, 05:18 PM
svxeno

Waranty

Quote:
However by doing anything aftermarket it will invalidate that portion of that warranty.

Is this an assumption or does the paperwork actually state that? I've put an aftermarket stereo in my last 3 cars, and they were new cars with factory warranties.

I'd check with the underwriter just to make certain. I know how it's killin' me to live without my fully functional tunes.

(Only a couple more weekends)

Randy (Dying for the cartunes) ii
Old 02-10-2002, 06:48 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: Warranty vs. Stereo

Quote:
Originally posted by 0260N4
Hey everybody I got myself into a bit of a prediciment so I thought I would post it here to get some feedback. As some of you know I bought an extended warranty when I got the car, it still has about 21k left on it and basically covers everything. However by doing anything aftermarket it will invalidate that portion of that warranty.

On the other hand I have a very nice stereo setup I took out of my last car that would sound GREAT in the suby. I listen to music all the time and hate crappy quality sound. I have already replaced the fronts and the tweeets but I dont think this will affect my warranty. My concern is that I pull out that deck and replace it with my own and then something happens to the electrical system, which I can ill-afford to repair, and the warranty wont cover it.

What would you do?

0260N4
put it in, if something happens, take it out, put the stock one
Old 02-10-2002, 11:21 PM
0260N4

I did check with the underwriter and their response was "it's best if you have in professionally installed because we will not cover any damage to the electrical systems caused by aftermarket modifications." Meaning find a new scapegoat. Now I have installed stereos before and have a fairly good idea of whats going on but I just dont want to screw up my car. But its killin me not having my sub, crossovers, etc etc etc. I know it would just ROCK in my baby. Plus sitting here staring at the disconnected amp and deck aint helping either. I suppose I hafta make a decision here quick, i'm gonna hafta go back to work at some point.

0260N4
Old 02-11-2002, 01:54 AM
0260N4

OK I have decided to bite the bullet and install my system. I will try and document it for the benefit of those who want to undertake this later. I have a recently complied how-to by one of the yahoo users that has some photos but since I will be adding an amp and subs and crossovers I will take pics of that too and try and compile it into the how to that I already have. There goes my next two days off but it will be worth it.

0260N4
Old 02-11-2002, 10:54 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by 0260N4
OK I have decided to bite the bullet and install my system. I will try and document it for the benefit of those who want to undertake this later. I have a recently complied how-to by one of the yahoo users that has some photos but since I will be adding an amp and subs and crossovers I will take pics of that too and try and compile it into the how to that I already have. There goes my next two days off but it will be worth it.

0260N4
if you need any help w/ it, let me know. I've got all the goodies in my svx :-) The nice thing is you DONT have to drill though the firewall, I took my 4gauge though the fender, straight back though the center consoul...i couldn't get the trim up on the sides where I originally wanted to take it...they were snap ins and i broke one of the snaps...i didn't want to destry the whole thing and have to go get another one