SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
On GM site they mentioned Fuji/Subaru and 3 other companies as GM network. So, i think SUBARU is just a company which is iin its network, so tht it can also market its products where GM markets. But changing the badge is bad though. Thinking on these lines, i am little bit relaxed.

-Pavan.
20% of Fuji's stock isn't quite part of the network. Granted they aren't saab which is now fully a GM brand (on commercials and all) but not just marketing partners.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
why do you think car companies are having to "band" together??? the automotive market is one of the most retarded business markets in the world. the only way to stay making money is to create engines or chassis that you can sell to as many different markets as possible. Otherwise, you'll end up like mitsu... who was doing great with the 'DSM' and other joint ventures, and now is up sh!t creek without a paddle.

The only way subaru can survive with the world market as it is, is to sell large volumes of cars. they need a "taurus" or "cavalier" that they can sell huge numbers of every year... while we all want another SVX, its pretty obvious all it did for subaru was cost an huge amount of money. I'd be interested all in all how much each SVX actually cost Subaru. I'd bet its more than the sticker price. What I don't understand, is why Subaru then didn't then use the EG33 in other applications... like the outback or something.

face it, the only way car manufacturers can keep prices competitive is to share parts, engines, chassis, and sometimes even whole cars. ESPECIALLY now that chinese cars are on their way...

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
But personally wht do u guys think, do u like chevy selling our subarus with their badge on it in other countries?... yes/no?

-Pavan.
Don't really care, I only care who the origional builder is, for instance I would get a dodge/freightliner sprinter in a heartbeat and swap the front end back to mercedes
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Well I didn't bring up Ford and the 500/ Volvo or Mazda Focus so I'm guessing that wasn't you. Ford isn't too far behind the 8 ball.

My ford/gm love is just slightly above my love of chrystler, and when it comes to chrystler, I'd rather drive a honds, I may not like honda, but I can at least respect their reliability
Old 06-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Good morning!

Perhaps chevy forester could be a steping stone into india for subaru, it sounds like there is no name recognition for them there so if their cars start making it onto the road and later they start selling to the country under their own name then "forester" and the shape of the body will already be implanted into the indian mind.

my two pennies...
Old 06-01-2005, 10:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Perhaps chevy forester could be a steping stone into india for subaru, it sounds like there is no name recognition for them there so if their cars start making it onto the road and later they start selling to the country under their own name then "forester" and the shape of the body will already be implanted into the indian mind.

my two pennies...
yep i too hope soooo....
Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I'd bet its more than the sticker price. What I don't understand, is why Subaru then didn't then use the EG33 in other applications... like the outback or something.

I heard a rumour that Subaru lost, on average, $3,000 per SVX. This includes all the special offers they had to make in order to sell the cars towards the end of production, and money lost on warranty repairs (lots of tranny's in 91-92).

The reason the 3.3 wasn't shared with any other Subaru is probably cost. The 3.3 cost a lot more to produce than the 2.2 or 2.5. In order to keep the cost low on the Legacy/Outback platform they had to stick with a 4 cylinder until they became more popular and people were willing to pay more.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-01-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:02 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian

my two pennies...
Unfortunatley people there will think that the forester is a chevy brand and that subaru just put its badges on it here in the states

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
I heard a rumour that Subaru lost, on average, $3,000 per SVX. This includes all the special offers they had to make in order to sell the cars towards the end of production, and money lost on warranty repairs (lots of tranny's in 91-92).

The reason the 3.3 wasn't shared with any other Subaru is probably cost. The 3.3 cost a lot more to produce than the 2.2 or 2.5. In order to keep the cost low on the Legacy/Outback platform they had to stick with a 4 cylinder until they became more popular and people were willing to pay more.

Dave
wow... a lot of cash to lose 15K times...

True, the 3.3 was more expensive to produce, however, the engineering costs that had already been put into would have been a far larger $$ value. I guess i don't understand why they didnt' create the "LL bean outback" or something like it when they realized the SVX was going down... The engine is the single best thing about the SVX... doesn't make sense for them to put that amount of effort and time into the engine, and not at least try to cross it over somewhere. they could have charged more for the larger engine, displacing the cost.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx

Dave
Old 06-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Hater

Quote:
wow... a lot of cash to lose 15K times...

True, the 3.3 was more expensive to produce, however, the engineering costs that had already been put into would have been a far larger $$ value.
i imagine a lot of the engineering for the 3.3 was used for the 3.0 H-6, so not a wasted effort i guess.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-01-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
Unfortunatley people there will think that the forester is a chevy brand and that subaru just put its badges on it here in the states
Yep... thts true... Indians r tooo sentimental, once they stick to one they wont forget forever no matter (good or bad) wht happens.

-Pavan.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
they could have charged more for the larger engine, displacing the cost.
Pun intended?

I don't like the fact GM is putting their names on Subarus. Next they will be in creative control and Subaru will end up as nothing more than a brand. The biggest change to me will be when we see a non-H (read: GM) engine in a new Subaru here in the US.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Pun intended?

The biggest change to me will be when we see a non-H (read: GM) engine in a new Subaru here in the US.
then i will blow up my SVX and Subaru of america.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Pun intended?

I don't like the fact GM is putting their names on Subarus. Next they will be in creative control and Subaru will end up as nothing more than a brand. The biggest change to me will be when we see a non-H (read: GM) engine in a new Subaru here in the US.
when that happens im going to blow up the dealorships..... with pickit signs and hand grenades.