Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
SilVerXtc

speed calibration for 5-speed swap?

the 5-speed swap is pretty much complete on my 92 SVX. We used a 98 Forester 5-speed with 4:11 diffs. We ended up useing the SVX speed sensor from the auto tranny. The Speedometer is reading much higher than actual speed. I haven't figured out how much it is off yet. but will my speed be different if I use a speed sensor from a Forester 5-speed tranny. Or does the pick-up gear for the speed sensor in the tranny need to changed. I'm curious what other SVX's with 5-speed swaps are useing for Speed Sensors and how much your Speedo is off. Is there a way to recalibrate are Speedometers.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:22 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Congrats on the swap!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-22-2005, 03:54 AM
THAWA

SVX speed sensor? manuals dont have speed sensors in the transmission.

I believe the speedo problem lies in the tire size difference. Also note that your mileage is going to go up faster this way.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
SVX speed sensor? manuals dont have speed sensors in the transmission.

I believe the speedo problem lies in the tire size difference. Also note that your mileage is going to go up faster this way.
But you have to install the Speed sensor off the SVX into the Manual to have a speed-o...

Mine seemed to be very close to right...,, but like he said, the only difference is the difference in the circumfrance of the SVX, and the Forester tires...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-22-2005, 10:06 PM
THAWA

what speed sensor?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
SilVerXtc

so is there no fix to make the speedo and mileage accurate? My main concern is all the extra mileage that is going to put on the odometer. I insured the SVX as a 2nd vehicle for under 10,000 miles a year. If i go over 10,000 miles a year my insurance rate will go up a little. It would really suck to actually drive 10,000 miles a year but the odometer show I went 12,000. It will also hurt resale value with extra mileage that is really not there.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilVerXtc
so is there no fix to make the speedo and mileage accurate? My main concern is all the extra mileage that is going to put on the odometer. I insured the SVX as a 2nd vehicle for under 10,000 miles a year. If i go over 10,000 miles a year my insurance rate will go up a little. It would really suck to actually drive 10,000 miles a year but the odometer show I went 12,000. It will also hurt resale value with extra mileage that is really not there.
To adjust it you have to change out the gear in the front diff that drives the speed-o, I think you can change just the top gear (comes out through the top, with-out pulling the tranny) and get a little adjustment, but if it's off badly, both gears have to be changed, which means dissasembling the tranny...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Normally, if you use the correct differential for the tranny you installed, (i.e., if the tranny came out of a car with 4.11 diff, and you installed a 4.11 rear diff in your SVX), then the speedometer should read correctly. You are the first that I've heard where the speedo isn't reading correctly. If you've installed the proper rear diff, and the speedo is still not reading correctly, send me a PM, and I can set you up with an electronic box that will allow you to make the speedo read correctly. The box costs $100.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:52 PM
SilVerXtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Normally, if you use the correct differential for the tranny you installed, (i.e., if the tranny came out of a car with 4.11 diff, and you installed a 4.11 rear diff in your SVX), then the speedometer should read correctly. You are the first that I've heard where the speedo isn't reading correctly. If you've installed the proper rear diff, and the speedo is still not reading correctly, send me a PM, and I can set you up with an electronic box that will allow you to make the speedo read correctly. The box costs $100.
It isn't off as bad as I originally thought. I checked the mileage on the freeway with the mile posts. After the 2nd mile I gained an extra 1/10 of a mile. I still need to take a GPS out to find out how off it is. Is this electronic box you are talking about the "yellow box". Because I really do need something for my Forester which is reading 14% too slow. Because we put a ea82 dual-range tranny in it and I am running larger tires. It originally had a cable sensor but we used the electronic sensor that was in the original forester tranny. I was looking at getting a yellow box for that. they make a version for 3 wire hall-effect and 2 wire inductive speedo sensors. I can see on my speedo sensor there is 2 wires coming from it. Yellow Box says on the 2-wire sensors that one wire must be for ground and the other is a signal. Is this how subaru speed sensors work or are both wires signal that go in a loop.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 PM
sans SVX

I don't know if the SVX unit is a hall-effect or an inductive type, but it does produce a pulse signal. I have access to correction boxes similar to the "yellow-box". The box I use works with the SVX unit. I've got one on my car.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
When I did my swap I kept the WRX speed sensor with no issues. I've also run with the SVX sensor in there (currently)
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 AM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
If you use a different differential you're going to have bigger problems than speed calibration, and I don't see how that could effect the speedometer anyay.

And will someone say what this speed sensor is?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:42 AM

The Speed sensor screws into the tranny where the speed-o cable normally goes, and converts the rotation of the Speed-o gear into an electronic signal the ECU can read (as the SVX doesn't use the Speed-o cable)
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
If you use a different differential you're going to have bigger problems than speed calibration, and I don't see how that could effect the speedometer anyay.

And will someone say what this speed sensor is?
I agree that the mismatched front and rear diff ratios would eventually cause bigger problems, but because the LSD on the center diff is so weak, a mismatch could easily go unnoticed.

Changing diff ratios causes the speedo to read incorrectly because the speedo reads off the 3rd/4th driven gear cluster on 5MTs. Any change to the diff ratio then affects the relationship between the rpm of the 3rd/4th gear cluster and the rpm of the tires.

Visit my locker

Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 AM
SilVerXtc

Ok I ran my SVX with a GPS today. my speedo/odometer is running 10% too high.

mtboloczko, i'm interested in the speed calibration box. Can you PM me or post product info. Thanks.