Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Yeah, I definately don't see any reason why you'd need more negative camber in the rear for a street car. The negative camber keeps the tires "flat" in cornering at speed but the SVX has a tendency to understeer long before the rear tires give out. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rear of the race car to slide a bit and am even starting to think about removing the front sway bar to give it a bit more traction. If you're looking for a good balanced car I highly doubt the need for rear camber bolts at this point. That is unless you're running some weird combo of tires and wheels that change your overall diameter more than a 1/2" or so.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:12 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Maybe someone has already done a different alignment on my car before I bought it. I can get the rear end to slide every time. I do keep quite a bit more pressure in my tires than most people though.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Maybe someone has already done a different alignment on my car before I bought it. I can get the rear end to slide every time. I do keep quite a bit more pressure in my tires than most people though.
Crappy tires? Not enough camber up front? You shouldn't be running more than 40 or so psi's are ya?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
47F/43R on 17 inch falken azenis sports. Crappy tires? No - these are teh sticky goodness I could slide the rear on my old yokohama avs sports also.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Forgot you were wearing 17s. Did that change the overall diameter any? If so that could cause ya issues. I think you're running a little high for azenis (unless it is the newer azenis) in the front. Granted my experience with azenis is with a FWD XT6 but it does have similar handling charactaristics.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Diameter changed very little - less than a percent. I got to this pressure the hard way - trial and error. Worked well enough to get me even tire wear through my first set of azenis, and now I am on my 2nd.

Cause me issues? Sounds more like you guys who are understeering are the ones with issues
Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Cause me issues? Sounds more like you guys who are understeering are the ones with issues
How long did you get out of the azenis? I have about 250 miles on mine with about 1/2 tread left. I've never had understeering issues on the road. Just when you try to take a 90 degree turn around a cone at 30mph. Granted our back end is probably the lightest of any SVX in the world (has lost a good 250-300lbs back there at least). Being that it is now a FWDer the rear just totally stays put and lacks balance with the front. Just issues to work out so we can be the fastest SVX track car in the world. Give us a few years and it'll be at the top of its class... Too bad we'll never be able to run it nationally though.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I got 25k on them of daily driving, a trip to the dragon (or was it 2?), and autocross. They were complete slicks when I was done with them.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:09 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
I got 25k on them of daily driving, a trip to the dragon (or was it 2?), and autocross. They were complete slicks when I was done with them.
You wore your azenis sports down to near slicks!!! Those tires must've been a wild ride in the wet stuff!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:32 PM

As I drive my SVX mostly on the street and don't plan on doing any major AutoXing this year, I'm thinking I'll have the following done tomorrow am:

Caster: factory setting
Toe: '0' front & rear
Camber: between -0.8* to -1.0* front; 0.0 rear

This winter, I'll get a more aggressive alignment done in preperation for AutoXing in '06.

-Chike

Old 05-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
You wore your azenis sports down to near slicks!!! Those tires must've been a wild ride in the wet stuff!!!

-Chike
I liked to call it "surfing"
I drove very slow when it rained.
I didn't intend to wear them down that far but I was in the midst of a possible group buy on tires at that time and was trying to hold out. It finally fell through and the next day I replaced them.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Back from the alignment shop...

...the place I had set up an appt with didn't have a machine to align an awd vehicle, so I drove just 5 minutes down the street to Bob's Wheel Alignment which has one of the only laser wheel alignment systems in Charlottesville, VA.

Talked to the technician about my driving style, and he gave me a set-up that he says his autoxing WRX/STI customers love:

Caster: factory
Toe: '0' front & rear
Camber: -2.0* on both front wheels, -1.5* on both rear wheels

He says this set-up with my summer tires should take the understeer out of the car in tight turns and keep the car planted at very high cornering speeds.

Needless to say, he had to install a 'camber shift kit' (i.e. camber bolts) for the front and rear wheels that ran me an extra $60!!! All in all, the tab came to $122.50, and my car is now set-up to ride like it's on rails.

-Chike

P.S. We figured out why my passenger-side rear wheel was rubbing in tight turns...there was almost an 1/8" of toe-in!

P.P.S. I know this is a lot of -ve camber to run on a street car, but I don't expect my current summer tires to last past the Fall. After that, I'll get four new tires and a slightly more conservative camber set-up.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Chike,
Keep a check on the wear of the inside of the tires (a feathering of the tread). You should also begin to pick up tire noise from the feathering of the inside tread - kinda sounds like a bearing(?).

And you CAN tell a difference, cann't you? I remember taking a Camaro into an off ramp (her was right on my butt!) at about twice the recommended speed and left him sliding and almost in the ditch - I bet he had never seen a car "stick" to the inside like I did that time - oh, I forgot. I also had my racing tires on coming from autocross . The look on the poor fellow's face (in my rear view mirror) when he realized he was going a bit too fast for the turn was priceless.

Let us know how you think it improved the handling - especially the understeer.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
Chike,
Keep a check on the wear of the inside of the tires (a feathering of the tread). You should also begin to pick up tire noise from the feathering of the inside tread - kinda sounds like a bearing(?).

And you CAN tell a difference, cann't you? I remember taking a Camaro into an off ramp (her was right on my butt!) at about twice the recommended speed and left him sliding and almost in the ditch - I bet he had never seen a car "stick" to the inside like I did that time - oh, I forgot. I also had my racing tires on coming from autocross . The look on the poor fellow's face (in my rear view mirror) when he realized he was going a bit too fast for the turn was priceless.

Let us know how you think it improved the handling - especially the understeer.

Harry
Thanks Harry. I just drove 200+ miles going back and forth from the dragstrip in Petersburg, VA tonight. I definitely noticed that the tire noise is slightly louder but the handling feels SWEET!

I plan on keeping track of tread wear, as I don't want the inside of my tires wearing down to the cords too quickly. The technician was just saying that as most Subaru's have a 60/40 weight distn, running -2.0* front, and -1.5* rear dials out the understeer the factory dialed in...

I'll have to test the limits of my car's handling somewhere safe, b/c on sticky summer rubber, I have to reach some pretty insane speeds in corners, before the tires even start to squeal! Definitely don't want my tires to break loose on the street going 70+ mph in a tight U-bend...

I'll keep you updated.

-Chike

Old 05-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Congrats on the alignment. The tech did set each wheel to the stated camber settings, right? You're actually running more negative camber on the front than I am!
Given that you're still running 0 deg of toe - front and back - I really question the tech's statement that going to negative camber alone is going to take the understeer out.
Harry is right to keep a close eye on your front tires - my ES100s are getting a nice "rounded" inner edge with the -1.5 front and back - and I've got a couple of thousand miles on them with this alignment set up.
You might try upping the front tire pressure to around 50 psi just to see the effect on understeer (just make sure to bring the pressure down after you've felt what it does).
The car can be made to be much more neutral - it just take the right optional OEM pieces
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker