Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 04-18-2005, 12:35 PM

Question: Legacy Turbo in an SVX?

Hello again from Northern Calfornia. Has anyone tried to, or though about picking up a wrecked 6cyl. Legacy Outback Turbo, take the Turbo parts off and "bolting" them on to the SVX? What issues would one run into? Is it even possible?

Thanks.
'93 25th Anniv. Ed SVX

'93 25th Anniv. Ed SVX

WTB West coast SVX parts car! (WA, OR or CA)e-mail me!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcare
Hello again from Northern Calfornia. Has anyone tried to, or though about picking up a wrecked 6cyl. Legacy Outback Turbo, take the Turbo parts off and "bolting" them on to the SVX? What issues would one run into? Is it even possible?

Thanks.
the legacy blitzen(liberty) has a 4 cylce 2 litre bitrubo setup. No subaru has ever had a 6cyl turbo....unfortunately :/
phil
Old 04-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcare

Thanks.
It might be possible, is such an engine existed. There is no Subaru Boxer6 turbo. I believe there is someone on this site that has built a turbo SVX, though.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

svxtasy is his name and he has a turbo'd SVX. If there is indeed a legacy STi coming out in 2 yrs it will be the first turbo'd boxer 6 for subaru.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 04-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobiesvx93
If there is indeed a legacy STi coming out in 2 yrs it will be the first turbo'd boxer 6 for subaru.
I highly doubt that. There's been rumors of a Legacy STi ever since there's been an STi. Besides, do you really think they'd dump an engine like that in a plain jane Legacy? Maybe if it was in a Legacy coupe, like the sweet photochop on Nabisco. Otherwise, there won't be anything like that unless it's the B11S, or something resembling it.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 04-18-2005, 01:05 PM

And if it shows up in a B11s, I'll just leave it in MY B11s(vx)!
Especialy if the interior is up to snuff!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I wouldnt be surprised if i saw a legacy STi soon. There is a forester STi in japan and the wrx STi. If they can make a forester STi they can surley make a legacy one. Will they?...only time will tell but i think they will. Probably won't be available to us here though

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I still believe somewhere in Japan exists a turbo 6 cyl subaru engine... those guys are nuts, they must have build one by now, even for a Legacy...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksied-X
I highly doubt that. There's been rumors of a Legacy STi ever since there's been an STi. Besides, do you really think they'd dump an engine like that in a plain jane Legacy? Maybe if it was in a Legacy coupe, like the sweet photochop on Nabisco. Otherwise, there won't be anything like that unless it's the B11S, or something resembling it.
I know the rumor been around since the the launch of the STi, but the legacy is just more than a plain jane car, it has a better chassi design than the current Impreza, being stiffer per weight, and having better suspension geometry. I could easiley see Subaru dumping in a turbo 6, expecialey since the new 7 seater (Tribeca?) will need some turbo power to keep up with its competitors that easily have about 50hp and torq on it right now. And besides the Sti is a four door plain jane car too. I think it would be a decent i dea for subaru since there tring to move upmarket and be in the performance area, they would need a car that could beat up a M5 in every way and i dont see the impreza doing that.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 04-19-2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 AM

what about the old x6 in think i seen those in the junk yard boxter with the turbo... i really neve had paid attention to them... what are the specfication on that engine???
Old 04-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I still believe somewhere in Japan exists a turbo 6 cyl subaru engine... those guys are nuts, they must have build one by now, even for a Legacy...
Of course a turbo Boxer6 exists, but it resides in the B11S, and probably a couple other concepts, but nothing production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
I know the rumor been around since the the launch of the STi, but the legacy is just more than a plain jane car, it has a better chassi design than the current Impreza, being stiffer per weight, and having better suspension geometry. I could easiley see Subaru dumping in a turbo 6, expecialey since the new 7 seater (Tribeca?) will need some turbo power to keep up with its competitors that easily have about 50hp and torq on it right now. And besides the Sti is a four door plain jane car too. I think it would be a decent i dea for subaru since there tring to move upmarket and be in the performance area, they would need a car that could beat up a M5 in every way and i dont see the impreza doing that.
I'm not saying the Legacy isn't a stellar car, nor am I saying they won't build a turbo Boxer6. But, if they do, I just can't see them putting it in their family sedan, or an SUV either, at least not from the start. They're going to build a sports car for it, something to compete with the likes of the RX8, 350Z, Lexus LF-A, etc... After it debuts, it may trickle into other models to offset the cost, but I think that may even be a stretch. And I'm not surprised the Legacy's chasis is better in everyway than the Impreza. It's a more expensive car, and also a 3-4yr newer design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite
what about the old x6 in think i seen those in the junk yard boxter with the turbo... i really neve had paid attention to them... what are the specfication on that engine???
You mean XT6? They were all N/A Boxer6's. There was an XT Turbo, though. But, it had a regular turbo Boxer4, 1.8L I believe.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 04-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksied-X
You mean XT6? They were all N/A Boxer6's. There was an XT Turbo, though. But, it had a regular turbo Boxer4, 1.8L I believe.
That is correct
the XT Turbo had the EA82T (1.8 4 cylinder Turbo) put out a whooping 115 hp,
and the XT6 had the ER27 (2.7 6-cylinder NA) and put out 145hp

Both of which are as much fun to drive as a barrel of monkeys

(I love my XT6)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
(I love my XT6)
Me too, huck.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369

Both of which are as much fun to drive as a barrel of monkeys

(I love my XT6)
So does that mean it fun or not, ?

Aim not saying that subaru is going to make a crazy 400HP 6cy turbo set up for the tribeca, but i bet there going to do something to bump up the hp and thats the easiest way with the least devopement money needed to do it. Since most competitors to it are not underpowered and are aculley quick. Vovo even building a V8 for it 7seater suv thing. Maybe a low boost 10 PSI setup that puts out 300-320 hp and doesent have any real tubro lag so it dosent lose any low end torq, but makes it fast enough to keep up with its competiton. All i know is 4000 pounds nd 250 hp and 220 ft pounds of torq is slow for that vehicle and i dought subaru will leav it like that since there starting to push for speed in evry other vehicle that they make.

I guess were going to have to wait and see, maybe subaru going to bore and store it out like 3.6 liters and have a 310 hp NA 6, that would cool or even better yet a NA H8, with 350 hp.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 04-19-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Tofu

"They're going to build a sports car for it, something to compete with the likes of the RX8, 350Z, Lexus LF-A, etc... After it debuts, it may trickle into other models to offset the cost, but I think that may even be a stretch."

Subaru is going to do another top shelf sports car about the same time Pontiac unveils a new Fiero.

"Aim not saying that subaru is going to make a crazy 400HP 6cy turbo set up for the tribeca, but i bet there going to do something to bump up the hp and thats the easiest way with the least devopement money needed to do it. Since most competitors to it are not underpowered and are aculley quick."

Except that Subaru doesn't currently have any development money.

"Vovo even building a V8 for it 7seater suv thing."

The V8 in the XC90 is a bastardized version of the upcoming Ford V6 family, which is in and of itself an evolution of the Duratec family. While Subaru could theoretically use some of GMs off the shelf engines, they won't, because two decades of self-conscious marketing hype regarding horizontally opposed engines has painted them into a corner.

"I guess were going to have to wait and see, maybe subaru going to bore and store it out like 3.6 liters and have a 310 hp NA 6, that would cool or even better yet a NA H8, with 350 hp."

As noted, Subaru is pretty short on cash. The current four cylinder engines are essentially fifteen years old, and based on designs that date back even further. The current six cylinder would have been a dog had it not been for their licensing Porsche's variable valve lift technology. GM is currently investing quite a bit of money in Cadillac and Saturn, not to mention the $1.5 billion they just paid Fiat to not buy them, and the first two GM subsidiaries that are feeling the pinch are Subaru and Saab. An enlargement of the current EZ30R seems pretty probably sometime down the road, and turbocharging it remains a possibility, but at some point Subaru is going to need to either give up on using horizontally opposed engines, get a huge cash infusion, or both, and niether is going to be likely in the next few years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: