Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
As long as the oil is changed regularly the oil pump should outlast the engine - it's self-lubricating. (psssst...the dealer guys love to hose ya when there's a leak at the o-ring)
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That's good news, Beav. I guess I am just too paranoid when it comes to these things. Went through too many oil pumps on the old 1.8L. Sounds like they have fixed that problem on the svx.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
As long as the oil is changed regularly the oil pump should outlast the engine - it's self-lubricating.
Matt, don't be sorry, I would rather get the harsh news trown at me right now than have to pull my hair 20k miles from now... I must admit however that Beav's words are much relieving.

Update with the current situation: I have purchased the pulleys and tensioner from Tom. He will ship the stuff to me hoping that I receive it on time for the weekend.The components are obviously used, however according to Tom they were operating correctly before the engine was pulled out, so I decided to go with it since I am broke.

I know many of you will tell me that I should have gone with brand new components and I agree with you, but right now I decided this was the best solution...

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a way to clean the used components that Tom is sending me... perhaps I could clean the pulleys with electric parts cleaner and add some fresh grease similarly to what I have done with the rear bearings?

Thank you,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
That's good news, Beav. I guess I am just too paranoid when it comes to these things. Went through too many oil pumps on the old 1.8L. Sounds like they have fixed that problem on the svx.
Didn't I see a TSB some time ago about the pumps on older, 4cyl. cars being defective and pushing the front seals out?
Old 05-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Hey Guys,
I finally got all the parts I need to get her back together and I am getting ready to do so. I already took some good quality pics and I will post them later on tonight for you guys to see.

In the mean time, I have a couple of questions:

- How much should I torque down the bolts for the pulleys? I already saw the torque settings for the tensioner and crank pulley, they were on the tutorial you linked me to, all I need is the torque specs for the pulleys and the cam gears.

Thanks, I will post later on tonight with the pics of the damage (it looked crazy)...

Walter
Old 05-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
Hey Guys,
I finally got all the parts I need to get her back together and I am getting ready to do so. I already took some good quality pics and I will post them later on tonight for you guys to see.

In the mean time, I have a couple of questions:

- How much should I torque down the bolts for the pulleys? I already saw the torque settings for the tensioner and crank pulley, they were on the tutorial you linked me to, all I need is the torque specs for the pulleys and the cam gears.

Thanks, I will post later on tonight with the pics of the damage (it looked crazy)...

Walter
all those #'s should be in the cd's i sent to you

Tom
Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
all those #'s should be in the cd's i sent to you
I'm pretty sure they are, but when I posted that I was at my friend's shop and of course I didn't have them with me... but now I am back home, ready to take notes and show you some pics of the damage:

So that's what I am looking at. Today I only managed to remove all the pulleys and tensioner, I also tried to remove the water pump but it seems to be stuck behind that plastic cover behind the cam gear. I tried removing the cam gear but of course it turned out being impossible, so I will have to buy some sort of tool tomorrow before trying again. What should I ask for? All I need is something to stop the cam gear from turning while I loosen the bolt.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I will work on it again tomorrow after work.

Take care,

Walter
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Maniac modifier

dddddddddddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa auuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmm That is crazy lookin!!! Godd thing you got all da parts tp put it back together.

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That is crazy lookin!!!
Yup...

Anyways, back to the water pump... I won't be able to swap it until I remove the cam gear... it looks like I will have to buy some sort of tool tomorrow before trying again. What should I ask for? All I need is something to stop the cam gear from turning while I loosen the bolt.

Walter
Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Maniac modifier

people usually make their own tool for that. I personally just left the timing belt on when I loosened them. then tookt he belt off and they would just come right out. I dunno what u should do bout that, ask around someone may have a solution 4 ya

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It would be cheaper to replace the entire engine with a used one.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Maniac modifier

how so? He spent $100 on parts to fix it. Shipped to his door.

Also, i have heard that the pump will come out even under that cover, just takes patience and a little jigglin.

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treppiede
. but now I am back home, ready to take notes and show you some pics of the damage:
I just threw up in my mouth.

Holy carp man! That is some serious damage.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Holy crap man! That is some serious damage.
Yeah, looks nasty but the engine is healthy. The cam gears spin around smoothly, so I am not worried about the valvetrain (don't ask me how I know that the cams turn so easily)...

...which reminds me:
Quote:
i have heard that the pump will come out even under that cover, just takes patience and a little jigglin.
That is true, with a little patience and jiggling today I realized it would have come out, although I am too afraid to break the plastic cover behind the cam gear so as Mike (longassname) suggested me I will try the tool he lent me to remove the crank pulley and see if it fits...

Walter
Old 05-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
how so? He spent $100 on parts to fix it. Shipped to his door.
I'll try again

It would cost more to buy NEW replacement parts than it would a used engine.