Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I bet he lost them and can't afford to replace them. Try calling Subaru of Gwinnett to see if he left them there.
Actually, they were locked in a storage unit that I haven't had access to. AFBeefcake will get his cores back, never fear. I've scheduled with the key-holding party to meet with me at the storage facility to retrieve them, along with a whole lot of other things that are mine that I've been trying to schedule to get out of there.

For anyone who would like Koni based coilovers, the folks at Ground Control are now willing to build custom housings with Koni or Advance Design innards to fit any vehicle. They would need a set of stock struts to model from and preferably a car to test-fit to, but they will build them for you, and you don't have to hack your stock struts or perches.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter
snip*

For anyone who would like Koni based coilovers, the folks at Ground Control are now willing to build custom housings with Koni or Advance Design innards to fit any vehicle. They would need a set of stock struts to model from and preferably a car to test-fit to, but they will build them for you, and you don't have to hack your stock struts or perches.

Porter,
Did the GC folks give you any idea of the cost of these custom housings? Or is this one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" cases?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Quote:
Actually, they were locked in a storage unit that I haven't had access to. AFBeefcake will get his cores back, never fear. I've scheduled with the key-holding party to meet with me at the storage facility to retrieve them, along with a whole lot of other things that are mine that I've been trying to schedule to get out of there.

Well thats good to hear. I had not heard from you in months so I was starting to wonder. Any idear on the price for a fully setup from ground control?
I want to get a suspention set up on my car before the end of summer, but I got to pay my car off first. 6 monthy payments left to pay
Old 03-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Porter

Well, their fully built race-application Advance Design coilovers run about $2k a set. With Koni innards it should be significantly cheaper, because you're not limited to SVX-fitment Koni inserts. They would use standard motorsport Koni valving in their housing, built to whatever spec you would like.

I'm guessing it would be a $1200-1500 deal, including the fabrication, the dampers, the springs, the collars, and everything. That's a guess, let me emphasize.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:

Who did you speak to at GC? I called over there this morning, and the two people I spoke with said that they wouldn't do it for an SVX.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Don't let this thread die
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 05-27-2005, 02:58 PM
KCROGUEDOG

true story i still have yet to buy and install my coils and struts and if there are more options then what we have shoot. i got almost 3 months to get this job done before i drive out of ak. my struts on the front are spitting as i speak.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Um.... Yeah I am looking to buy the koni inserts in about a week. I have the money but now I am not sure if I wanna get diferent springs. I would like to leave the rear at stock height but lower the front about half and inch just for better looks. I will be running 225 50 r16 pirellis on rx7 cross-over rims. The konis will be a replacement for my completely worn out front struts. I want the car to handle but I don't want to loose my ride quality(I do a lot of driving and comfort is important). I will ask Jesse if I can take his 6mt for a quick spin on thursday as he will be at my Atco raceway meet to see if the g/c coilovers are what I really want. Any suggestions on the srpings would be great but I do plan on buying the konis regaurdless. Please someone give me a suggestion that would suit my wants

Tom
Old 05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
KCROGUEDOG

has any one had the koni go to crap on them yet? just wanted to ask cause the stock struts seem not to last long at all. especially in the front. oh tom also Mychailo can custom build the coils to what ever height with better quality to keep the rear the same im sure.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
has any one had the koni go to crap on them yet?
With the initial batch some people were complaining that they were leaking right out of the box.

I believe my left front strut to be leaking (oil on the cover) and I don't think my passenger rear strut wasn't filled completely.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:37 PM
KCROGUEDOG

ill be sure to look for that with my order. ty.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:56 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

The only person I know that has killed a set of Konis is Porter, and that's not a fair comparison. He's been known to take his SVX rallying!

We have 2 SVXi with Koni G/C's. It's a great setup. I'll admit, we haven't had a lot of time to test on the street, but after a lot of racing, I don't see why they wouldn't be 100% streetable.

My son is capable of building a nice set of Koni G/C struts. If you are looking for someone to put together a set so you would just have to bolt them in, he could do it. If anyone is looking to have it done, I'll bet he'd like a little extra work. Of course, you'd have to ship them 2 ways to GA and back.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-01-2005, 05:02 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Here's a link to a thread about how we built the struts. It includes links to photos of my son's work.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=strut

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i likey. that looks great. how long was the ride disabled. im asking do the fact my other car got totaled by some ungratful little bastards. vandalism.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i keep looking at those and i want to do the same but the shipping where im at would be killer. i got to try to do this myself. what did you use to cut the perch down (saw zon)? so u made the factory perch the same size as the gc perch and welded them together. where was the tack welds? or am i wrong?