Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 12-13-2004, 04:44 PM

stebro exhaust question

Anybody know if there is a way to get a deeper sound with the stebro. I didnt order the secondary cat replacement(euro resonator) since I heard that it'll make me fail emisions. I tried bringing it to a shop here in milwaukee to get the stock cat hollowed out but, the dude wouldnt touch it. Is there any other way to deepen the tone and keep the exhaust emissions at a legal level? Or is that impossible?

1995 SVX L(mods: slotted/bored raceconcepts rotors,full stebro cat-back exhaust,green cone air-filter,rust )
116,000 mi
My Locker
Old 12-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
... you asked to have the cat hollowed out... but are afraid of emmisions?

I'd suggest getting a resonator put in line on the straight pipe back. depending on the type of resonator, many will eliminate the higher freqs... I'd also go with a straight through, so you don't add any backpressure vs the stebro system, which i believe is actually engineered, like the stock system, to provide a certain back pressure.
glass packs eliminate lower freqs, so this would be a bad idea.
If you want to be able to sell the stebro system again, i'd cut out a section near to the cat, and weld flanges on both sides of the cut. this would allow you to hook up the "test pipe" vs the resonator whenever you choose.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 12-13-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Will they fail you based on the fact you hollowed out the center cat? If so don't tell them. You could probably get 2 new front cats, hollow the center cat and still pass.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i dont know about you guys but i find my stebro to have a very deep tone. I think i would be afraid to mess with the toned sound the stebro puts out, ive had 2 other exhuast setups on an SVX, and the stebro puts out the nicest tone. I had a flowmaster system with 22" resonator, it was quite muffled.
phil
Old 12-13-2004, 06:06 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
i dont know about you guys but i find my stebro to have a very deep tone. I think i would be afraid to mess with the toned sound the stebro puts out, ive had 2 other exhuast setups on an SVX, and the stebro puts out the nicest tone. I had a flowmaster system with 22" resonator, it was quite muffled.
phil
agreed. Why spend the money for what is IMO a great sound, and rice it up? If you want a v8 sound, go buy a v8.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Porter

I'm thinking of knocking out the 3rd cat, welding in a large resonator, possibly two, and removing the muffler entirely.

Hmm.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: stebro exhaust question

Quote:
Originally posted by fait_svx
Anybody know if there is a way to get a deeper sound with the stebro. I didnt order the secondary cat replacement(euro resonator) since I heard that it'll make me fail emisions. I tried bringing it to a shop here in milwaukee to get the stock cat hollowed out but, the dude wouldnt touch it. Is there any other way to deepen the tone and keep the exhaust emissions at a legal level? Or is that impossible?
In short: NO.... If you bought a Stebro without the center resonator and don't want to loose your third car then there really isn't anything that ya can do to make it deeper... I bought the Euro Resionator and I LOVE the sound!!!... IMHO, if you forked out the money for the Stebro exhaust, don't try to modify it... If ya don't like the sound just sell it to someone and do a custom exhaust... But lots of people love the sound of the Stebro... Mine sounds like a mini Ferrari Testarosa

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Euro Resonator

Has anyone replaced the 3d Cat (rear cat) with the Stebro Euro Resonator on a 96 or 97? If you did, what happens when you disconnect the 3d oxygen sensor in the rear Cat?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Euro Resonator

Quote:
Originally posted by lhopp77
Has anyone replaced the 3d Cat (rear cat) with the Stebro Euro Resonator on a 96 or 97? If you did, what happens when you disconnect the 3d oxygen sensor in the rear Cat?

Lee
Use an O2 simulator to fool the ECU into thinking it is there. See http://www.o2sim.com/

This is a universal replacement. Also check on ebay http://search.ebay.com/oxygen-sensor...Z1QQsofocusZbs

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 02-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Thanks

Thanks for the response and information.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE