Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 02-13-2005, 03:47 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I think svxistentialist has it right. Since the tranny is going anyway, look for a RWD tranny.

As I understand it, a Supra tranny will bolt up to the SVX motor.

If you're looking for a rear diff, I have an entire rear end (hub to hub) from a Supra that I'd let go pretty cheap.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 02-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
ABS

Read throught thread and did not notice conversion of ABS brakes to power brakes only. Would need parts from a 94 LE model (may be some other models). If you went all the way it would eliminate the ABS valving (quite heavy) and if you used the hubs from the 94 LE it would reduce another couple pounds or so (no tone wheel for ABS sensing).

Actually it would have been better to start with an LE or model without ABS brakes, driver airbag or sunroof.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
As I understand it, a Supra tranny will bolt up to the SVX motor.

If you're looking for a rear diff, I have an entire rear end (hub to hub) from a Supra that I'd let go pretty cheap.
I think the starter location would be different for the straight 6 used in the Supra than what we need for the EG33. I would suggest a using a blown transmissions front diff housing for a bell housing and adapting a RWD trans to that.

My recommendation is for a T-5 or Tremec for a 5 speed and a T-56 for a 6 speed. Readily available (on this side of the pond Joe ) and a Mustang Cobra's rear differential (IRS and capable of handling 390HP from the factory.

Todd
Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

I think the starter location would be different for the straight 6 used in the Supra than what we need for the EG33. I would suggest a using a blown transmissions front diff housing for a bell housing and adapting a RWD trans to that.

My recommendation is for a T-5 or Tremec for a 5 speed and a T-56 for a 6 speed. Readily available (on this side of the pond Joe ) and a Mustang Cobra's rear differential (IRS and capable of handling 390HP from the factory.

Todd

You guys can get a lot of power goodies for cheap money on your side of the "pond"

Yo!
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-14-2005, 04:17 AM

Maybe so, but we rarely get any of the nice goodies from the factory.

Of course, none of the above listed power goodies have anything to do with an SVX!

Where there's a will there's a way!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Food for thought.

If you use some other RWD gear box, there will be a space of about 6", where the front diff was. You would have the box 6'' further forward than the standard location.

Or If you were really serious, you could move the engine 6'' to the rear to take advantage of the RWD.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM

I think you'd have to move the firewall to get a full 6" engine setback.

Interesting thought!

Old 02-15-2005, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
firewall shmirewall...who needs one of those
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb

Let's face it, Ben, you've got a classic case of Nissan 240SX envy.
Without lifting a wrench, you've got everything you dream of. A RWD, 5 speed car that weighs 800 pounds less than an SVX with 155 throbbin' horses beneath its paint peeling hood (bonnet).
No need to gut the interior, as it's the cheesy base model with power nothing, except A/C which you're allowed to turn off.
If you wish to rent this guaranteed blue ribbon winner for a cross or two, I'm sure my rental agent can come up with a weekend plan that fits your buget. Ask about our lease-to-buy option.
Glad to be of help.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
I'm amazed. Today I was chatting with my mechanic and the topic of a RWD SVX came up. (This after him telling me about a 6 speed seen and heard in Toronto. One thing leads to another ) Anyway I do a search and there's a project in the works. I'll be keen to see how it turns out.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Sunday. Sunday. Sunday!

That's when we find out if it is a feezable project concept when it either goes quickly around the cones or does one giant burnout the lenth of the course. Either way it should be fun.

As for 240 envy. Ron I got that rim in the basement and it just doesn't look as good as the SVX wheels so I'll stick with them. Remember, your lowly G stock Z couldn't make it around your home lot faster than my 6 could. If I remember correctly you were quite a few seconds back... but then again maybe it wasn't a big enough adrenal rush for ya when you compare it to single handly dragging your robber to the ground and beating him until the cops pulled ya off.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yay for another MT SVX. Only problem is now I'm not feeling as exclusive in Canada anymore.

Any more info on this beast?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Looking to set up a mod II SVX. As close to 2000lbs as I can get and rwd. What would be the best way to achieve it with a Legacy 5 speed?
I was gonna say.....

Gut EVERYTHING out of the inside of the car. Then take the engine, mount a legacy FWD tranny to it, and put the tranny and engine right behind the drivers seat ... Driving the rear wheels... Similar setup to the Porsche Boxter... I would LOVE to see that!!! I bet it would be AWESOME!!! Throw on a Koni/GC suspension and it would be insane!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Oh yeah. A RWD SVX IS THE BOMB.

Especially on a course that was 1/3 dry pavement, 1/3 hardpack snow/ice and 1/3 wet slushy pavement.

Too bad Hocrest killed the tranny on his first run (seriously it was slipping and banging the whole way through).

Time top start the tranny removal to get it ready for Reading.

Pics should make it to our site by Tuesday at the latest and I'll put a full detailed description of how much fun the SVX is when the rear passes you in a turn.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lock 'em up, boys.....

for the murder of one stock SVX transmission and general autoX mayhem!!
-Bill (first SCCA autoX in T-6 days!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob

Oh yeah. A RWD SVX IS THE BOMB.

Especially on a course that was 1/3 dry pavement, 1/3 hardpack snow/ice and 1/3 wet slushy pavement.

Too bad Hocrest killed the tranny on his first run (seriously it was slipping and banging the whole way through).

Time top start the tranny removal to get it ready for Reading.

Pics should make it to our site by Tuesday at the latest and I'll put a full detailed description of how much fun the SVX is when the rear passes you in a turn.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker