How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Norm

Question Transmission Filter

Am I correct in assuming that a transmission for a 4WD 92 Ls L does NOT have an internal filter? I was on SubaruParts.com and didn't see one listed.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Norm,
Yes, you're correct. If you get under the car and look at the bottom of the radiator you can trace the lines from the radiator to the transmission. Hopefully, while tracing the lines, you'll find the in-line filter mounted to the driver's side frame rail. The stock '92 radiator also had an internal screen that would get clogged by debris in the ATF and eventually restrict the level of cooling supplied to the transmission. This is why a brand new replacement radiator will not have the screen in it.
Hope this helps.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Norm

Trans Filter

Thanks Bill! I was just on Checker Auto Parts site and they list a Fram filter kit for the trans. It is a filter that goes in the transmission and a pan gasket.

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...e=1158&PTSet=B

Does this look correct? And would just changing this filter and adding an external oil cooler be the way to go?

Thanks,

Norm
Old 11-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Trans Filter

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm
Thanks Bill! I was just on Checker Auto Parts site and they list a Fram filter kit for the trans. It is a filter that goes in the transmission and a pan gasket.

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDeta...e=1158&PTSet=B

Does this look correct? And would just changing this filter and adding an external oil cooler be the way to go?

Thanks,

Norm
Norm,
The link just took me to Parts America's home page, so I can't confirm if it looks correct. My guess is what the kit includes is the gasket for the pan on the transmission and the screen that goes in the transmission (held in place by two small bolts). This is different from the in line filter that will be up by the radiator (it looks more like a small oil filter).
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
RobSVX

what about 95s ?

So, do the 95's require an external filter ? If so, can I get at the Stock filter to clean or clear it ?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A new internal filter is rarely required. It is a metal screen and can be rinsed and re-installed, unless it is ripped or otherwise damaged.

There is some discussion about the merits of installing the 'campaign' external filter on the cars that were built without the mesh in the radiator cooler. I believe, but may be wrong, that the '92 and '93 models, or maybe just the '92s, had the mesh in the coolers. Search, read what you find and make your own decision. '94 and up had all the upgrades fitted and seem to do much better than the first two years.

My personal preference for a '92: Since you can't be certain of prior maintenance, drop the pan, be careful not to tear the gasket and reuse if o.k., otherwise buy a new one from Subaru - around $18. The gasket is much thicker and less likely to leak than the aftermarket gaskets. Clean the filter and re-install. If the campaign filter isn't installed, get one. '94 & up, just drop the pan one time to inspect the filter, subsequent maintenance shouldn't require anything more than a periodic drain and refill. Any service intervals at less than 15k-20k miles would probably be overkill, if anything happens it won't be anything that a more frequent interval would have staved off.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yeah, what Beav said!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 11-02-2004, 10:57 AM
SEA Sleeper

My '92 had the external filter added during the manufacturer retrofit. I simply emailed subaruparts to get the correct replacement part number. It cost less than $10 and was a breeze to install.

I've heard that members are happier w/ the B&M univerasal type of external cansiter filters because the cost to replace those are even lower.

Just my $.02
Old 11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper
My '92 had the external filter added during the manufacturer retrofit. I simply emailed subaruparts to get the correct replacement part number. It cost less than $10 and was a breeze to install.

Just my $.02
You can buy these at your dealer for around $10, includes filter and all necessary hardware (extra hoses, mounting clamps, hose clamps, etc). Problem is most dealers will check your VIN and only sell you ONE of these, or they're out of them.

- Jim