Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 10-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Question Neons Selection & Installation

Hi all,

I want to install neon under car lights on four sides. But i am new to these and I want some advices and suggestions on installing them.

I want to know which places are the right places to install those under our cars their wiring sequence.... and best best best matchin color (mine is green 92)...and where to get them for cheap

Pavan.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
OPTIX makes a under car kit that uses a 4 ft tube for each side and a 2ft in the front and the rear. I used these for a while. (removed them now). If you look under the side of your car you'll see a small frame about a foot in. I mounted the 4 foot tubes as close to them as possible. It adds a limited amount of protection. At the back of the car, you'll see a gap between the rear plastic and the muffler heat shield. The heat shield has a lip with small holes in it. Set the rear 2 ft bulb on the ledge and use wire ties through the holes to hold it. The best thing to do in the front is just get rid of the 2 ft for the front and buy two 6 or 8 inch tubes. I broke the front 2ft in about a week. THe 6/8 in will fit nicly in the corner in front of the wheels. If you really want to use the 2 ft light I'd seggest removing the plastic skid plate under the front and finding somplace above the bottom of the bumper to mount it to.

I'm not crazy about OPTIX lights. I prefer to Redline UltraBrights, but RedLine doesnt make a kit. The OPTIX Kit runs about $100 at Pepboys and Advanced Auto. As far as color goes, I usually try to color match. I have a red car so I use red lights. So on that note I'd recommend GREEN lights.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Hi mikecg,

thanks for ur valuable information.... but i also want the wiring information..yeah they do give about it , but i want to know if there is any special wiring sequence for ur cars....

Pavan.
Old 10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

I don't really think there is a specific wiring setup here. It is all about how you can supply power and be able to turn the tubes on and off. And about color coordination, the only car that won't need any coordination is a pearlie or white car.

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 10-30-2004, 09:24 PM

I am little bit confused....

which kits are better... (NEONs or LEDs)...

Pavan.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:57 AM

The kits come with wiring instrutions. Basicly I hooked them directly to the battery (positive & negative). The kit came with a juntion box to wire all the bulbs into. All I had to do was install a switch in side the car. Run the positive from the battery to the switch, then to the junction box. Hook the ground directly to the negative battery terminal (or to a clean paint free metal body panel). The bulbs then wire into the junction box. I mounted my junction box on the fender well inside the engine bay. The only pain in the butt parts is running the wires from the lights to the junction. You have to find a way to keep them up tight so road hazards dont hit them. Also try to stay clear of the exhaust. You'll have to splice the wires to make them long enough. As far as what is better (Neon or LED), It's a matter of opinion. I like the neons because they have a softer glow to them and are less directional. LED's tend to be a bright and sharper light, but are less glowy.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:23 AM

Hi mike,

thanks for ur reply...

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg,
THe 6/8 in will fit nicly in the corner in front of the wheels.
can u tell me exactly where u have fixed... i am not clear in this part. Since i dont want to remove skid plate, I will go for two 6/8's

Pavan.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
My $.02 on neons

I have installed an undercar neon kit on my girls 03 Mitsu Montaro Sport and my 92 SVX (green). Both have 4 tube kits. The SVX is not that hard it you have the time. It took about 3 hours to do it right. The sides are the easiest to do. I put them onto the unibody rails, on the out side. It is not visible and throws big color.
The back was a litter harder with the exhaust. The short is inbetween the heat sheild and the bumper there is a 1-2" gap and I mounted the tube up there. It still throws a good color shadow. The front bumber has the tube mounted on the steel reinforcement . The bumper was cut just a little to allow for a 3ft tube.
Just a note of caution, do not mount the power supply box on the passanger side strut tower. Everytime I tunr my noens on it messes with my ABS brakes.

Steve

More noen pics of my 92 SVX

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 10-31-2004, 07:47 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: My $.02 on neons

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX-FF
More noen pics of my 92 SVX
Your wheels are backward

And so are the letters in neon

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-01-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
Hi mike,

thanks for ur reply...

can u tell me exactly where u have fixed... i am not clear in this part. Since i dont want to remove skid plate, I will go for two 6/8's

Pavan.
If you look under the front of the car, in front of the tires, you'll see were the plastic slopes up into the car a little. It's a flat area that is a little above the bumper level. You'll have to mount the lights at an angle to fit them in. It's right in the front corners of the car.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Re: Re: My $.02 on neons

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

Your wheels are backward

And so are the letters in neon
The wheels will be corrected with my new Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires go on.

The noen will be corrected after my English class is finished.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 11-02-2004, 10:28 PM
ThetaReactor

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
And about color coordination, the only car that won't need any coordination is a pearlie or white car.
So, umm, what color goes with black, again? :P

Red, maybe. And then turn that waterfall grill into the uber-nifty Knight Rider mod! We all know the SVX is more future-spiffy than some old T/A...
Old 12-03-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikecg
The kits come with wiring instrutions. Basicly I hooked them directly to the battery (positive & negative). The kit came with a juntion box to wire all the bulbs into. All I had to do was install a switch in side the car. Run the positive from the battery to the switch, then to the junction box. Hook the ground directly to the negative battery terminal (or to a clean paint free metal body panel). The bulbs then wire into the junction box. I mounted my junction box on the fender well inside the engine bay. The only pain in the butt parts is running the wires from the lights to the junction. You have to find a way to keep them up tight so road hazards dont hit them. Also try to stay clear of the exhaust. You'll have to splice the wires to make them long enough. As far as what is better (Neon or LED), It's a matter of opinion. I like the neons because they have a softer glow to them and are less directional. LED's tend to be a bright and sharper light, but are less glowy.
hi,
today i had a look under the car to fix my undercar kit... but i haven't found any rails under the sides to hook up the tubes. Moreover they gave some angular hooks to fix under the car and then hold the tubes on them. But i dont know where to fix those angular fittings. Anyway can i have some pictures of urs fitted under the car. Thanks for ur help.

Pavan.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:43 AM

Look in my locker. I think I have a couple in there.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
I got the optx neon kit and installed it for the most part but when i hooked up the switch the fuse blew. I took it out and left it unplugged and put the wires on my battery terminals and when i turned the battery on it blew again. I put a nail in touching both parts of the fuse plug and it didnt light up. when i looked on the diagram it shows the switch with a battery wire, a wire to the box, and a ground, but there is no ground wire on it. Any suggestions to why my fuse is blowing and what to do about the ground?