Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:55 PM
SEA Sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
That happens to me too. I didnt know that it indicated tranny fault. Now im getting scared...
The POWER light indicates transaxle fault codes in the SVX

However, I don't think this is reason for serious alarm as I'm sure what ever fault code the TCU is putting out could be solved by reconnecting the resistor and disconnecting the (-) Batt terminal to reset the system.

The only reason I know that the TCU is indicating a fault code is because while dealing w/ my past trans failure, I read up alot on the diagnositic capabilities of the 4EAT TCU. Upon starting the car, the POWER light should come on for 2 full seconds and go out if all the electrical components and sensors are operating and recieving the correct readings. Seeing anything different upon start up indicates that there is a fault code stored in the TCU.

I have not performed any self diagnostics on the tranny as of yet. If you are concerned because yours is also blinking at startup you can follow the self diagnostic instructions found here:

http://my.voyager.net/~tmclane/index.html#_Toc482082588

My intention of posting about this was to get feedback from a few others out there that have just disconnected thier resistor:

Are you seeing the blinking POWER light at start up?
Should I be concerned?

If other members have disco'd thier resistors and the power light indicates no TCU faults (2 seconds solid @ startup), I will undoubtidly be plugging the resistor back in to avoid damaging my trans. I am curious now because I started the car 4 or 5 times yesterday after removing the resistor and watched the POWER light turn on for 2 seconds and then off. The blinking began 24 hours later.

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 10-29-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:58 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
Quote:
Originally posted by SEA Sleeper

Are you seeing the blinking POWER light at start up?

Yeah. It blinks a bunch of times (apparently 16) and when it was connected it used to stay on for a couple seconds like you said earlier. I assume it happens when anyone disconnects it.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:09 PM
SEA Sleeper

good feedback

Rob,

how long have you been running w/ the dico'd resister and blinking POWER light? if it's been a long time w/o failure I'll be less concerned about a related component failure.

I am hoping that the blinking POWER light is just something that comes along w/ this mod.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
I've been running with it disconnected for about 3 months and its been blinking since day 1. I also just got my tranny rebuily 4 months ago.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:59 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

The blinking power light is definately a result of the disconnected resistor. The early Smallcar shift kits set off the same fault code until some electrical gurus figured out that a dummy resistor needed to be installed on the shift kit to make the diagnostics think the resistor was still directly connected.

The clunking some of you guys are experiencing is not a good sign. My tranny did that for several thousand miles until it finally died and a new tranny was put in.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:19 PM
SEA Sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by nordique14
The blinking power light is definately a result of the disconnected resistor. The early Smallcar shift kits set off the same fault code until some electrical gurus figured out that a dummy resistor needed to be installed on the shift kit to make the diagnostics think the resistor was still directly connected.

The clunking some of you guys are experiencing is not a good sign. My tranny did that for several thousand miles until it finally died and a new tranny was put in.
This is music to my ears. I was mostly sure that the blinking was the result of disconnecting the resistor but I was concerned that I had caused another component to fail for some reason. Any feedback from other members would be greatly appreciated!

Resassure me people!

When you say dummy resistor, what do you mean? Are we talking about placing a jumper between the two wires or ? I have a basic understanding of electronic principles but I'd appreciate it if you'd eleborate.

Regarding the clunk sound. Since removing my resistor I have noticed nothing more than firm quick shifts. I do believe that the Clunk was related to the transmission mount in the car I drove earlier. The reason I am so pleased with this mod is that I don't hear a slow binding sound between shifts at all anymore. This was also allways felt between 3rd and 4th gear (the problematic clutchpack). While shifting you could allmost feel a slight vibration and a slow nasty sound. I think that this mod has eliminated that and I couldnt be happier. The only thing I long for now is the smallcar shift kit as I do drive in 2 & 3 when driving aggressivly and thier kit would eliminate any mod interference w/ using those selections. However, I believe that if I do (god forbid) have another tranny failure while under warranty, I can see the shop voiding the warranty because of the mod.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Graphic Artist

Blinking power light here to - day after resistor disconnect - was a bit worried as well - no more.

THANKS for restarting the thread.

Patrick.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Weasel 22

Sea Sleeper? are you still running with this mod? im interested in doing it..seeing how I just now stumbled across the idea my tranny is way to relaxed in its shifts..and anyone running the smallcar kit..liking it after all this time? thanks for any input!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Small Car shift kit.

I have it, sort of. Get a Small Car shift kit ~$50. It works great. If you want to see what it feels like, just unplug the resistor and drive for a while. The Small Car Kit gets rid of the funky transmission/gear hunting behavior when you are decelerating or cruising at some low speeds but keeps the tight upshifts. There is an explanation of how it accomplishes this in one of the many Small Car Shift Kit threads. Maybe even this thread.

Last edited by PhatWeasel; 03-11-2005 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
I have it, sort of. Get a Small Car shift kit ~$50. It works great. If you want to see what it feels like, just unplug the resistor and drive for a while. The Small Car Kit gets rid of the funky transmission/gear hunting behavior when you are decelerating or cruising at some low speeds but keeps the tight upshifts. There is an explanation of how it accomplishes this in one of the many Small Car Shift Kit threads. Maybe even this thread.
appreciated! after searching for awhile I've had many questions answered..possibly I was being a post***** I will try the mod for a few days and keep her in 'D'
Old 03-11-2005, 08:15 PM

Shift kit

I've got one, and it seems to work pretty good. In the near future I will be getting a full billet tranny. I've seen them for around $4000, does anyone have one of these or any input on them.

Steve
Old 03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Weasel 22

went ahead and did the mod..impressions:

my check engine light has not come on ...yet
the power light comes on at start up and does not blink 16 times..yet
the shifts are amazing..it simply scoots from half throttle as it would at wot before..wot is the same as before once the power mode is activated
in 'D' it only goes into 4th after you let up some off the throttle
im liking it thus far..before it would clunk slightly in the 1st to 2nd shift when driving slowly..not so now..yet
and no more casual slipping..everythings nice and firm no unusual noises or signs of worn mounts..so far so good
Old 03-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Weasel 22: When you say "did the mod" do you mean the resistor unplug or the Small Car shift kit?

Last edited by PhatWeasel; 03-13-2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Weasel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatWeasel
Weasel 22: When you say "did the mod" do you mean the resistor unplug or the Small Car shift kit?
unplugged~~
Old 03-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Destroyer of worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel 22
unplugged~~
Ahhh, you'll give in and get the shift kit. Once you spend time stuck in that slow going traffic over to Tahoe you'll understand the greatness of the shift kit. But if you don't normally deal with slow traffic, the unplug works great.