Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Interesting -- $3k for coil-over suspension, $1.2k for the exhaust, $800 for the front spoiler. Wonder how much shipping from Japan would add to these prices?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
the flatt racing exhaust would be a huge waste of money. especially because hes going to supercharge it, and it wouldn't flow enough for a supercharged 3.3.
The coiloovers might be a good solution, but for half the price, the koni-gc setup seems to work great for most people.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Mr. Inappropriate

I remember reading somewhere that '04 (I think) STi coilovers were a direct bolt on for SVXs. I searched like crazy but couldn't find the post.

Anyway, if that's the case, check out Motorsports Distributing they are the sole North American distributor of Hot Bits coilovers. These aren't cheapo systems but should come in at about half the cost of coilovers from Flatt Racing

BTW, Motorsports Distributing is in Ontario, Canada. Shipping won't be to bad, it was $50 for a set of lowering springs.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
ilsegretosvx

If you are going to put coilovers on the car contact JIC/zeal motorsports. They are exclusive JIC and can make a set up for you. The base set-ups range from 1300+. They are well worth it and I have used them on many cars including a 93 Turbo Legacy. BTW they race all types of cars including drift so they know their stuff, not to mention the owner is Japanese and so are many of the people who work there.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
the flatt racing exhaust would be a huge waste of money. especially because hes going to supercharge it, and it wouldn't flow enough for a supercharged 3.3.
If he wants a built N/A EG33 and maybe increase the displacement to 3.5 or even 3.7L, the Flatt Racing exhaust would be just fine. If he goes the route of an STI motor or putting a supercharger on the EG33, a 3" exhaust would be necessary...

It would still be nice to have an SVX with a Flatt Racing exhaust though...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Graphic Artist

I just located a 20K JDM Engine that will be mated to the supercharger for 1300 bucks. Project SVX SC/R Is undeway! 5 speed search is next.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nextse7en
I just located a 20K JDM Engine that will be mated to the supercharger for 1300 bucks. Project SVX SC/R Is undeway! 5 speed search is next.
So are you going with a 5spd over a 6 spd?

If so, for the power you wish to run, send Mychailo a PM about getting the JDM 5spd STI RA gearset. Those gears will be able to withstand easily over 400hp at the crank. Other wise, a 6spd USDM STI trans would be suitable as well.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-22-2004, 05:47 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

If so, for the power you wish to run, send Mychailo a PM about getting the JDM 5spd STI RA gearset. Those gears will be able to withstand easily over 400hp at the crank....

-Chike
400 hp... depends on how the car is driven. :-) Repeated drop-clutch launches from a 400 bhp motor can kill just about any of the 5MT gearsets that are available.

What JDM motor are you going after? 2.0L?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 PM

Maybe use a costom front diff and rear end to raise the gear artios of the 6psd.

What were the gear ratios of the r180 that were in the SVX?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It's all in the talk or torque.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Graphic Artist

The JDM I've got my eye on is 6 cyl outta a jdm SVX - anyone know if there is an equvilant to carfax in the JDM region? I'd like to look up the Vin of this motor.

I'm thinking of boring over to 3.7L Will this automatically reduce my compression ratio? (I'd like to dial up the boost.)

Can someone offer me some sage wisdom - does subaru make a 5 speed that offers a 4.11 ratio? More power to the pavement without killing economy at high speed.
Thanks so far guys - great ideas.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Why JDM?

No reason to buy a JDM motor when they offer nothing different than the USDM motors other than higher shipping cost.

Boring to increase displacement to 3.7L will require custom cylinder liners (and pistons, obviously) as the stock liners cannot tolerate that significant of an overbore.

Good luck, you'll be a pioneer.

Todd
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

Quote:
Originally posted by nextse7en
The JDM I've got my eye on is 6 cyl outta a jdm SVX - anyone know if there is an equvilant to carfax in the JDM region? I'd like to look up the Vin of this motor.

I'm thinking of boring over to 3.7L Will this automatically reduce my compression ratio? (I'd like to dial up the boost.)

Can someone offer me some sage wisdom - does subaru make a 5 speed that offers a 4.11 ratio? More power to the pavement without killing economy at high speed.
Thanks so far guys - great ideas.
To get appx. 3.5L you'd need .040" overbore and a .25" stroke on the crank. To get 3.7L with only bore is going to be tough. Since you'll need custom pistons either way, you can pick the compression ratio you want.

How much boost do you want to run? There are things you can do to boost a high compression engine without destroying it. However, it takes quite a bit of knowledge, several upgraded parts, and some real good tuning.....not the kind of tuning you'll get from a stock or modified stock ECU. I'm talking standalone here.....cough....cough...SDS.

Where do you plan to get the work done?

EDIT: Okay, I did some number crunching and a .040" over bore and .25" stroke increase will yeild a 3.65 Liter engine. Not bad for such small changes.

To get 3.65 Liters with only an over bore would require a bore increase from 3.815" to 4.0".

FYI, here's a little tool that's free and is by far the best freeware I've ever downloaded. ESB Conversion Utility

Last edited by Myetball; 09-22-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
4.11 r&p is no problem. The RS gearboxes have this r&p. 4.44 r&p is also no problem if you want an even lower ratio. Forester gearboxes have this.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:54 PM

Registered SVX
If you like this exhaust,

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

If he wants a built N/A EG33 and maybe increase the displacement to 3.5 or even 3.7L, the Flatt Racing exhaust would be just fine. If he goes the route of an STI motor or putting a supercharger on the EG33, a 3" exhaust would be necessary...

It would still be nice to have an SVX with a Flatt Racing exhaust though...

-Chike
Then take a look in mbtoloczko's locker!
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117