Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-03-2001, 03:46 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Vehicross

Since I first saw the Vehicross and it's radical styling and LOW LOW sales figures, I thought of it as the SVX today. The only reasoning is the quirky styling and rarity. Other than that, we are talking two totally different animals here.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2001, 03:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
hmmm.... this really isnt a "current" vehicle, but its the clostest compeditor to the SVX I have ever seen.... it has the SVX perfomance wise, alot quicker than we are, but the SVX has a little bit of stying ove it... the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. Rare: yes, expensive repairs: yes. Pretty: yes. they even get a little bit of "What the heck kind of car is that?" (not nearly as much as we do). the 300 gt base and SL models seem to be all over the place, but the twin turbo all wheel drive critters are rare. Same for the dodge stealth sister car.... I like the taillights of the stealth, but the front and and spoiler of the 300 GT. They have a functional downforce spoiler that raises ala porsche at 55 or so MPH.... Granted I'd rather have a porsche inspired motor than a porsche inspired spoiler any day of the week... but I think these cars are our closest kin/rival..... thats my.02
Perhaps "closest" feature for feature, I can concede to, but, it still swings far further to the "sports" genre than the "luxury." Again, the SVX outwardly and inwardly screams "I am where luxury and sport meet." The SVX's main competitor, when produced, was the Lexus Sport Coupe -- but, the AWD gives it the competitive edge, as well as "for the money" attributes.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-03-2001, 04:47 PM
sith

Quote:
Originally posted by Zombie
the 300 gt base and SL models seem to be all over the place, but the twin turbo all wheel drive critters are rare.
Thats the thing that kinda bothered me about the 3kgt - the fact that the 180 or so HP base version, 220 or so SL version and 320 Vr4 all look the same. Just seems like kinda a shame ... I see Base and SL versions all over campus, with most of the drivers pretending they have vr4s and driving recklessly.

On the other hand, I agree that it is probably one of the closest cars to the SVX in terms of general features - heck, the vr4's biggest problem is the transmision blowing up I'm going to have to agree that I'd rather have the SVX though.. from what I've heard a vr4 certaintly isn't a comfortable car to drive for 8 hours straight...
Old 11-04-2001, 07:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Comparative coupes

You are all mentioning different motors quite close to the SVX in many ways. The TT is the one I would pick as nearest. 4wd, similar hp, 4 seats, both designed as show specials, and later making production.
But there is no room in it. The reason they made a convertible is because the roof was too close to the pedals!

Closer in size and use for me would be the Nissan 300Z twin turbo. But it is more sporty[read noisy and rough] and only 2wd. The Mitsubishi 3000 4wd is also close, has all wheel drive, but same problems as the Nissan.

The Lexus/Toyota 2.5 twin turbo give it a real close run for he money, lots more horses, no 4wd. But is as comfortable to drive long distance.

Nowadays, I think the only car to come close to the experience is the Mercedes CLK coupe. Good size and room, classy coupe styling, and the engine has enough grunt to get you around as quick as you might need. No 4wd, but Mercedes handling is pretty secure. Premium price, but a nice machine.

Bottom line, I agree with Randy. Nothing comes close to the sum of the parts.

Joe

PS If my tranny goes again, I am going to try and stick a BMW or Porche 5 or 6 speed Tiptronic box in it. No more Subaru under-engineering for me, purist view notwithstanding.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-04-2001, 12:32 PM
sith

Re: Comparative coupes

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
The TT is the one I would pick as nearest. 4wd, similar hp, 4 seats, both designed as show specials, and later making production.
Calling the TT is a 4 seater isn't really fair ... I've fairly comfortable hauled 4 people in the SVX - I've never seen anyone able to fit in the back seat of a TT. Its more of a rear shelf than a rear seat...
Old 11-04-2001, 01:14 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Comparative coupes

Quote:
Originally posted by sith

Calling the TT is a 4 seater isn't really fair ... I've fairly comfortable hauled 4 people in the SVX - I've never seen anyone able to fit in the back seat of a TT. Its more of a rear shelf than a rear seat...
I do agree Sith, which is why I said it has no room.

One I left out of the comparison, but really deserves to be there is the BMW 840i
Very suave shape, comfort[enough] for sometimes four, designed for luxury travel in comfort, a sybaritic chariot really. Doesn't have 4wd, but has well sorted Beemer rwd handling to compensate. I could fancy myself in one of those, but would have to polish up a few medallions, and dye the chest wig.
Oh, and explain to lots of people I do not have any drugs for sale.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-04-2001, 08:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Since the original question was, "What CURRENT car would be comparible", this answer is about 35 years too late, but the Mercedes Gullwing comes to mind. The biggest reason is that it was a total departure from everything else being produced by a car company, including Mercedes, at the time. I don't remember if it had 4 "real" seats, but it was aimed at an upper class "touring" cliental, with radical styling & superior handling & power for its time. I believe it was a sales failure, but I may be wrong on this one. I doubt that as many of these were built as the SVX, but I've done no research on the topic. Anyone know?
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:11 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: Re: Re: Re: What car is equal to an SVX today?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

"Performance" on long trips (Performance including speed+ride+comfort), there is NO comparison. I bill the SVX as the PERFECT blend of Luxury/Sport. Anything else bends too far in one direction or the other.
oh man, i agree with randy 105%!!
anyone if only agree with 95%, i can give you my extra 5%!

what else can i say?? i just got this msg and everybody already said everything. and, my writing can't be as well as yours'....Hehe, so i am really enjoying my readings than my posting...but still have to post something man

i think that's hard to find a car has such a kind of beautiful character like an SVX, but it might not be hard to find a car better than an SVX(in term of different aspects--depends on the diff tastes, ok?) , just think back that those 92/93's magazines, what did they put together with comparing to an SVX? i haven't read any one of them..... WRX(under $25K for yr2001)? i think no way even it's faster than an SVX from 0-60. it's the speed(but the max spd??) but no ride+comfort+and etc. 8 and 9 yrs ago, this is an $29K to $35K car! How much do you think it should be if an improved(face-lift) brand new SVX is 2001 model right now?

do u ever know that our SVXes' interior noise is lower than the 2000 Mercedes S500? if i don't remember wrong for what i read.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-05-2001, 10:55 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

The only thing comparable to an SVX, is another SVX.

There are several cars out there that, with the addition of hard work, talent, and lots of money, might come close to perfection (my SVX), but close is as far as they're going to get.

Oh. For my money, the TT ain't one of 'em. Nor the new ZX. Not without a complete restyling.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-05-2001, 11:02 AM
Lowered SVX

as far as a modern innovator goes.....

the svx stands alone. if i were comparing combination luxury sports coupes then the lexus SC400 is my choice. very clean lines, v-8 power, very refined interior, dual exhaust. very reliable, could be my next car.

audi tt is very clean on the inside as well as innovative. when you see one up close the styling is not boring. the car is aggressive looking and bold. plus you can mod it to death. bigger turbos, exhaust, everything.

i was a big fan of the conquest tsi. i thought it had great styling and performance. interior was simply but it was made in the 80's.

lastly the corrado from vm. again aggressive styling, wide stance, especially when lowered. very nice car. plus performance parts out of the yazoo.

but the svx is the gem for me.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-05-2001, 11:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: as far as a modern innovator goes.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
the svx stands alone. if i were comparing combination luxury sports coupes then the lexus SC400 is my choice. very clean lines, v-8 power, very refined interior, dual exhaust. very reliable, could be my next car.

audi tt is very clean on the inside as well as innovative. when you see one up close the styling is not boring. the car is aggressive looking and bold. plus you can mod it to death. bigger turbos, exhaust, everything.

i was a big fan of the conquest tsi. i thought it had great styling and performance. interior was simply but it was made in the 80's.

lastly the corrado from vm. again aggressive styling, wide stance, especially when lowered. very nice car. plus performance parts out of the yazoo.

but the svx is the gem for me.
Again, I say the Lexus is close, but still no AWD (of course, I know yours is FWD). Also, I didn't know that lawn mower parts would fit a corrado (I think you meant wazoo).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-05-2001, 03:29 PM
I look like Gordon

Well, it's not as pretty (but still pretty indeed), and it has a couple extra doors, but the BMW 330xi has similar power output, all wheel drive, and is in the same price range as a "new" SVX would be. Plus it is a comfortable and capable car at high speeds. Either that or one of the 6 series Audis would be my pick for the next best thing to an SVX, were I buying a new car today.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Lowered SVX

he, he, he......

randy.....i did mean wazoo.....little bitty error there.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 11-05-2001, 05:17 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
but the BMW 330xi has similar power output, all wheel drive,
Thanks Rufus. That is a nice car even if isn't that low and sleek. It is $36,000. I think I got a good deal going on my "Priceless" SVX.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:53 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

That is a nice car even if isn't that low and sleek.
Again -- lacking exterior styling -- bent more toward luxury than sport. No equal to the SVX.
Subaru Ambassador