Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 03-28-2004, 09:13 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
STi (group N) motor mounts installed

STi group N motor mounts have been installed. It was done as part of the 5MT upgrade that is in-progress and also for HP additions coming later on. Anyhow, the mounts are not a straight bolt-in mod. The STi mounts are about 1/4" shorter than the SVX mounts. My mechanic (oppositelock) ended up using the SVX mounting plate. He had to slot the holes in the plate and weld a 1/4" thick spacer plate to the mounting plate to make everything line up properly. I'll let oppositelock add the details. He's got pictures too. One of us will be adding them soon.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Superbeast

How about them pick?

I only dig this up becouse I found out I had a broken motor mount when I pulled my motor out, it probly happend during the devastating launch but if I tore it then I'm sure I'm gonna do it again. So where can I get these and what is a good price for them?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm looking for a reasonable alternative also. As far as I'm concerned Subaru can either make their price reasonable or pitch the stock in the dumpster. Good grief, hydraulic mounts for a 32valve Lincoln are around $48 @ NAPA.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:52 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
How about them pick?
Pics in my locker here:

<http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mbtoloczko|25050>

The mounts are available from many places. Since you are near the East Coast, I'd recommend Rallispec at $86/pair (very good deal):

http://www.rallispec.com/

If you don't already have the Group N tranny mount for your 6MT, you might want to get one of those too.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
STi group N motor mounts have been installed. It was done as part of the 5MT upgrade that is in-progress and also for HP additions coming later on. Anyhow, the mounts are not a straight bolt-in mod. The STi mounts are about 1/4" shorter than the SVX mounts. My mechanic (oppositelock) ended up using the SVX mounting plate. He had to slot the holes in the plate and weld a 1/4" thick spacer plate to the mounting plate to make everything line up properly. I'll let oppositelock add the details. He's got pictures too. One of us will be adding them soon.
Does it do anything noticable??? Vibration... Shifting ease.... Niose??? Any of those change over stock??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 AM
sans SVX

My only comparison would be with the 4eat and the stock engine mounts. Compared to that, there is a slight increase in vibration, but nothing even mildly annoying. No increase in noise. Can't compare shifting performance and driveline stiffness, but I can tell you that the Group N engine mounts have travel limiters that only allow about 1/4" total engine rock.

Visit my locker

Old 04-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Superbeast

Hell that price don't sound bad! I'm assuming the STI mounts are just solid rubber instead of liquid filled? And that in return they are less breakable?

I already got the tranny mount, I belive they are a neccesity with a manual in the SVX.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:56 PM

i bought mine at subaruparts.com for $125 for both of them with shipping. Took about 4 days to arrive.And yeah they are solid rubber... I believe a lot better than stock. I also have the 5 speed trany. when my stock motormounts went bad. It destroyed my clutch cable and the fork. So I end up replacing tranny and clutch. I replace 3 time the clutch cable before it got to the tranny part. Once i replace all the tranny stuff i check on the mounts and that was the couse of all my pain. So check them!!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:14 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Hell that price don't sound bad! I'm assuming the STI mounts are just solid rubber instead of liquid filled? And that in return they are less breakable?

I already got the tranny mount, I belive they are a neccesity with a manual in the SVX.
Yeah, you will not break them. Because of the travel limiters build into Group N engine mounts (look at pic #3 in my locker), there is no way for the mount to stretch more than about 1/4". After that, it hits a rubber coated metal stop.

Are you sure that your 6MT tranny mount is the Group N version? There is a standard STi 6MT tranny mount that looks similar but uses a softer rubber compound than the Group N 6MT tranny mount.

Visit my locker

Old 04-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Yeah, you will not break them. Because of the travel limiters build into Group N engine mounts (look at pic #3 in my locker), there is no way for the mount to stretch more than about 1/4". After that, it hits a rubber coated metal stop.

Are you sure that your 6MT tranny mount is the Group N version? There is a standard STi 6MT tranny mount that looks similar but uses a softer rubber compound than the Group N 6MT tranny mount.

Well isn't that a good question? I'm not sure if it's the group N mount but it is a hell of alot stiffer than the rubberband stock one.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Not as old as Randy

The stock SVX mounts also have travel limiters built into the brackets, as you describe.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
sans SVX

My recollection is that the OEM SVX engine mounts only have compressive travel limiters. Is this incorrect?

Visit my locker

Old 04-30-2005, 12:37 AM
Not as old as Randy

Incorrect. The tabs sit inside pockets.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Just some dude.

does anybody have oem motor mounts laying around. I've blown mine and want to order the group n motor mounts. I'm hoping I can get my hands on a borrowed or diverted to me before the trash can set of svx mounts so I can fabricate the adaptor plates before pulling the remains of my mounter mounts out of the car.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Superbeast

Well I already told Dave he could have mine, sorry

At least your still gonna get the intake