Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
The crossfire looks fine, until you see the back of it. That's just about the ugliest rear-end i've ever seen.

Also - WHY oh WHY does chrysler refuse to build a V-8 coupe?! I could maybe build some respect for this company if they'd grow some balls in the car area. They've got the truck thing figured out (except for styling), now put some muscle in the cars! Trust me, they're going to need it!
I love the rear end...it's very art deco ish... and v8s? why? With a forced induction V6, you get the same power and torque as a v8, but with better MPG. As for their cars not having balls......eh......... have you heard about these?

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/fe.../0302scc_neon/

250hp engine in a little bitty car. It has balls. :P

- Rob
Old 03-16-2004, 08:30 PM
SVX26517

its not how big your "balls" are, but its how you use them.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
You can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't our almighty GM just recently axe their last two V8 coupes, the Firebird and Camaro?

So doesn't that put GM in the same boat as Dodge/Chrysler?
To answer your questions, yes, no. The F-bodies are out but the GTO is in. So they do still have one. Plus the vette, but that's in the viper's club, so i agree it shouldn't really count. My point was less with current offerings and more with the past ten years or so. What's the last Chrysler V8 coupe you can think of? That should make my point. Even more so, why is this the case? They are just as capable of doing this as GM or Ford, and it obviously sells, so why not? Plus it does wonders for image.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
love the rear end...it's very art deco ish... and v8s? why? With a forced induction V6, you get the same power and torque as a v8, but with better MPG. As for their cars not having balls......eh......... have you heard about these?
I happen to have "a forced induction V6" rated at 240hp. The 225hp V8 in the Trans Am of old is still a more powerful engine. You can give a 4 cylinder all the power in the world, it's still a 4 cylinder and still doesn't feel like a 6 or 8 cylinder. It's the seat-of-the-pants factor I think that matters in this case.

Don't even question an engine builder about balls. Trust me he knows more about them than you.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:21 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

How is an engine with more power less powerful than another one?

I understand peak power and peak torque, but if an engine is supercharged, and not turbocharged, it should help down at the lower RPMs mostly, and the mid and not as much in the upper RPMs, due to the SC sapping power from the engine (since it's being spun so fast).

I agree about Chrysler though. If I were in charge, I'd take a stratus, make it RWD somehow, throw the magnum v8 in it, with an optional hemi, offer it with no carpeting, pop out back side windows, and tons of weight redux, and call it the SUPERBEE.

All hail the superbee.

- Rob
Old 03-17-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I understand peak power and peak torque, but if an engine is supercharged, and not turbocharged, it should help down at the lower RPMs mostly, and the mid and not as much in the upper RPMs, due to the SC sapping power from the engine (since it's being spun so fast).
I'm not talking numbers here...I'm talking FEELING. For instance, if you knew nothing about what engine was in either car, and I put you in the GTP, said "floor it" then did the same for the 3rd generation T/A, then asked you "now which engine do you think is more powerful?" you would almost definetly answer "the second one". It just has a more beastly feel to it. It's not actually going faster, but because of the noise and feel and excess torque, you FEEL like you are moving faster. That, to me, is the argument for an N/A V8 over a forced induction V6. Not to mention the maintenance costs.

Quote:
I agree about Chrysler though. If I were in charge, I'd take a stratus, make it RWD somehow, throw the magnum v8 in it, with an optional hemi, offer it with no carpeting, pop out back side windows, and tons of weight redux, and call it the SUPERBEE.
Right on. Not so sure about the name though. I don't think a car named after an annoying insect will do much to stir emotions.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Certified Porschephile

They already announced the SRT-6 version of the Crossfire. I'm not really impressed with the car to be honest. As for the neon, it has power front windows as an option. The rear is manual, not matter what the fronts are. Seems dorky to me. The plastics are rather cheap looking inside as well. I sat in a bunch of cars at the Philly Autoshow and would have to say (no loyalty here) the WRX is the better buy at slightly more money. You can get the WRX just as high if not higher in peak power rather easily (it's already faster 0-60) and it has what the SRT-4 can never get as an option, AWD. The VW R32 was nice, but for $30k I'll take a STi.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Hater

the Crossfire has to be one the the stupidest looking cars i've seen since the Aztec - both in real life and in pictures. the concept looked better - they shoulda stayed a little closer to it. at least Mercedes has injected some quality control into the Chrysler trainwreck.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:

Right on. Not so sure about the name though. I don't think a car named after an annoying insect will do much to stir emotions.
The original superbee stirs my emotions:

- Rob
Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 PM
SVX26517

Rob, your my new best friend
Old 03-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Am I now your super best friend?

(click the pic)

- Rob
Old 03-18-2004, 08:49 AM
SVX26517

Heck yeah man!

If anyone cares, GM has realased yet another recall to 4 million + of their pick-up trucks, and this is the fifth massive GM recall i have heardin about a 1 month time period. And you never hear about Chrysler recalls, because they're aren't any.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX26517
If anyone cares, GM has realased yet another recall to 4 million + of their pick-up trucks, and this is the fifth massive GM recall i have heardin about a 1 month time period. And you never hear about Chrysler recalls, because they're aren't any.
Good call.

January 14th, 2004 - Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Cirrus, Stratus, and Breeze cars because of a faulty shifter.

December 15th, 2003 - Chrysler recalls 4,000 2004 Dodge Durangos because of a faulty instrument cluster.

November 10th, 2003 - Chrysler recalls 438,000 Jeep Liberty's
because their wheels were literally falling off. Front suspension problems.

That's just in the last four months...check out the last four years:

http://www.crash-worthiness.com/chrysler/news.html

That's bad news right there.

As for what you said about the GM "recall", i'm not sure what you are talking about exactly but if you mean the controversy over the tailgates, you are a bit mistaken. There's no official recall at all involving GM trucks at this time. In fact, the only OFFICIAL GM recall this year involves the 2nd generation W-body (regal, GP, lumina, MC...etc) and includes about 800,000 cars. There is another recall pending...which involves wiper control modules on 300,000 SUVs...but that's not official yet. Also rumors have it that there may be a small corvette recall...also not official. I think maybe you are misreading the articles. I've read a few that talk about these rumored recalls and fail to make clear that they are not yet official.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
uh oh...

Here we go again.... If you knew that it was going to burn that hard... why did you throw gas on the fire???
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Hater

Quote:
Good call.

January 14th, 2004 - Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Cirrus, Stratus, and Breeze cars because of a faulty shifter.

December 15th, 2003 - Chrysler recalls 4,000 2004 Dodge Durangos because of a faulty instrument cluster.

November 10th, 2003 - Chrysler recalls 438,000 Jeep Liberty's
because their wheels were literally falling off. Front suspension problems.

That's just in the last four months...check out the last four years:

http://www.crash-worthiness.com/chrysler/news.html

just saw today that the government is investigating engine fires in the PT Cruisers for a possible recall. that is quality!

maybe they will issue factory fire extinguishers?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Certified Porschephile

That's why they introduced the convert pt. So you can get fresh air while it burns.
Closed Thread