How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-22-2003, 08:00 PM
DearPrudence

Question Mysterious overheating

I took Het on a nice little 6 hour road trip this weekend. I had NO problems until I was 15 miles away from my destination & the friggin' car overheated. I pulled off the road, popped the hood, and planned to just wait until things cooled off before I continued on. Fortunately, somebody stopped & they had water and coolant.

The car took the entire bottle of coolant & a gallon of water. I just had an oil change a few days ago - they topped everything off & even put on a new radiator cap. No hoses were busted, and there hasn't been any leakage (or problems) SINCE. I drove all the way back to SLC yesterday, and the temp gauge never went over halfway.

I don't get it... what happened here? Any ideas?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:11 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Check to see if there's any mysterious puddles under your car after parking for a while. Also be sure to check your hoses to see if they're old.

You should also check your draincock. It might be loose and need some tightening. No gutterminded thoughts guys lets keep it clean.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-22-2003, 08:15 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
Check to see if there's any mysterious puddles under your car after parking for a while. Also be sure to check your hoses to see if they're old.

You should also check your draincock. It might be loose and need some tightening. No gutterminded thoughts guys lets keep it clean.
No puddles, and my hoses actually look good.

I dunno what a draincock is (gutterminded thoughts aside).
Old 12-22-2003, 08:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence

No puddles, and my hoses actually look good.

I dunno what a draincock is (gutterminded thoughts aside).

If the draincock is loose, you are going to find some puddles. Also, your fluid levels will be lower. There is a good chance that the people did not top her up like they said. Also, you just got the car recently right? Did you check all the fluid levels?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:25 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

If the draincock is loose, you are going to find some puddles. Also, your fluid levels will be lower. There is a good chance that the people did not top her up like they said. Also, you just got the car recently right? Did you check all the fluid levels?
I've had it for 2 weeks, and to be honest Lwin, I never did check the fluid levels. I checked the oil...

hmm...

In any case, it seems to be fine now. I just think it's so odd.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:30 PM

Quote:

I've had it for 2 weeks, and to be honest Lwin, I never did check the fluid levels. I checked the oil...

hmm...

In any case, it seems to be fine now. I just think it's so odd.

Lisa,

In that case, it could be that it was low in the beginning. I once had 2 SVXes overheated on me in the same day. Why? I had not recharged freon and it was over degrees outside and I had my AC on as well as using a laptop in my car using a power converter in traffic in Chicago. But that's history now.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 12-22-2003, 08:34 PM
The Croupier

The only possable thing I can think of is perhaps you're thermostat got stuck & then unstuck itself,, It baffels me that this happened only once. I ran a used car lot in Delaware for 5 years & every car that had a problem of that sort had a reason & it ussually showed itself fairly quickly..

I would however keep a verry close eye on you're fluid level's over the next few months ( or untill you figure out why it did that )

Good luck & I hope you find a reason ( so you can fix it )
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 12-22-2003, 08:36 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:

Lisa,

In that case, it could be that it was low in the beginning. I once had 2 SVXes overheated on me in the same day. Why? I had not recharged freon and it was over degrees outside and I had my AC on as well as using a laptop in my car using a power converter in traffic in Chicago. But that's history now.
I was beginning to think it was a case of demonic possession.

I'll be sure to never run the AC & use my laptop in my car when it's hot outside Overheating is so inconvenient. And embarrassing, because then people look at you like you have a POS car.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:00 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

#1 I'd check the radiator cap to ensure it is the correct one for your car.

#2 Pray that you didn't fry your head gasket.

The 3.3 is a tough little engine.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 12-23-2003, 06:47 AM

Quote:

I'll be sure to never run the AC & use my laptop in my car when it's hot outside Overheating is so inconvenient. And embarrassing, because then people look at you like you have a POS car.

Lisa,

Having recently had a very similar episode with my Legacy, I second the motion that you change your thermostat.

dcb
Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Question

Quote:

How was the fluid level on the trip back? Did you check it?
And where did you take it to have the oil changed and the levels checked. I've some horror stories about a couple of local shops.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 12-23-2003, 08:34 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi

How was the fluid level on the trip back? Did you check it?
And where did you take it to have the oil changed and the levels checked. I've some horror stories about a couple of local shops.
I did check the fluid levels, and everything was as it should be.

I had the oil change done at Jiffy Lube. I've already decided I won't be doing that again. I'm not saying they did anything wrong ~ it's just that I had JUST had the oil change the day prior to the overheating incident. I need to stop being such a girl & just change my own damn oil.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:48 PM

Quote:

I need to stop being such a girl & just change my own damn oil.
Just my type of girl! Wanna do mine too? I had luck at jiffy lube. But then again my neighbour is the manager there so they do a good job on my car.

I once did an oil change at firestone. Don't ask why. About 100 miles later in my first SVX, I noticed that my hood is unusually warmer than before. I pull the dip stick out. Not a drop of oil. You should have seen me. I think cuss words came out in at least 3 different languages. I went back in and talked to the manager. He said sorry. I told him that if I have to service my engine, I am going to bill the SOB. He filled up the oil. I left. I will never take ANY car I own there ever again.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:59 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:

Just my type of girl! Wanna do mine too?.
Sure thing! But you'd have to drive out to Salt Lake, and in return you'll need to install my reverse glo gauges for me

Quote:
I once did an oil change at firestone. Don't ask why. About 100 miles later in my first SVX, I noticed that my hood is unusually warmer than before. I pull the dip stick out. Not a drop of oil. You should have seen me. I think cuss words came out in at least 3 different languages. I went back in and talked to the manager. He said sorry. I told him that if I have to service my engine, I am going to bill the SOB. He filled up the oil. I left. I will never take ANY car I own there ever again.
That is VERY good to know!!!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Sure thing! But you'd have to drive out to Salt Lake, and in return you'll need to install my reverse glo gauges for me
If I were anywhere near salt lake, I'd install them. They are very easy to install. You know how to take apart the gauges right?