How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-14-2003, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
smallcar.com Stage 1 shift kit help.

Can anyone give me some help on putting in a small car.com stage 1 auto shift kit from smallcar. The instructions on the website arent very detailed I thinkn I can manage Im just not to sure how to connect the resistor. Do i Connect it in series or what the instructions arent very good.

--Miles
Old 09-14-2003, 06:51 PM
ww111

Thumbs down

I just got mine today as well. I sure wouldn't recomend this fix to anyone... a box of pieces and not a blip of documentation. Nuthin.

What's their web address again? I'll take a look at what's there and try and get through it with you.

Collins
Old 09-14-2003, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Collins,

Refer also thread in Mod Mania. If you pass on the address I will have a look and assist if required. I can't understand how such a simple connection arrangement has not been made clear.

Regards, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-15-2003, 04:45 AM
ww111

No Documantation at all = not clear

No packing list,
No Instructions,
No "How to contact us",
No Invoice,

7 pieces, loose in a cardboard box.
Also 3 connections on the switch, 2 terminals supplied.

I haven't been to the web site yet, but my tranny's working now so I might not installl the thing anyway.

Collins
Old 09-16-2003, 04:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The instructions are on the website. You only use the outer blade terminals. The inner one remains empty.

Its been a while but I am pretty sure I got a packing list and invoice with mine. They must be slipping,
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
my instructions

Ok, this is the way the instructions look to me. Correct me if im wrong.

1. cut off the old resistor behind the battery.
2.use the old wire.
3. crimp the connectors on the old wires
4. plug in the new resistor.

My biggest question is do Cut off the old resistor and throw it away. Or do i need to keep it so that it can be "spliced" in parralell with.

I understand the t-fitting and tubing part.

If anyone can tell me how the put the part in, in their own word. I would greatly appreciate it. The website instructions are just to confusing.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX
The latest kits are supplied with a small resistor which should be connected in parallel with the switch i.e. each tail on the resistor into a crimp connector together with the end of the cut wire which goes to the outer terminals on the switch.

This arrangement results in a reduced resistance remaining in circuit when the switch opens so as to prevent the fault indication which occurs with a completely open circuit.

Miles, have you been supplied with the resistor referred to above ?

Have you read this thread and the one in Mod Mania through completely and noted the instructions which have been included ?

Please give me the address of the web site so that I may read the instructions you refer to. Where the hell is Brian who should be attending to all this ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:44 PM
sputnik

ok here's what i did

there seems to be talk of two different resistors here. the resistor that was the thing behind the battery, and something that came with the kit (?). what i did, and i'm probably wrong, is i cut the (original) resistor off, took it completely out, and there were 2 wires that went to it. i crimped on the connector bits and stuck them into the outside terminals on the new switch. when you refer to "resistor" that came with the kit, is it a wire that goes between the two terminals (welded) on the switch with a computery- thing on it? (i hope someone knows what i'm talking about) if this thing isnt the resistor, then i didnt get one. if it is, does it eliminate the need to stick the (original) resistor in there somewhere? or do i need both? anyways, the kit seems to work just fine, but i get a power light blinking when i startup, so i think i did something wrong. anyone want to correct me here?

i agree the instructions are confusing, and i think pictures would help.

sputnik.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:46 PM
sputnik

http://www.smallcar.com/svx/tskinstructions.htm
Old 09-17-2003, 12:18 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sputnik
ok here's what i did

there seems to be talk of two different resistors here. the resistor that was the thing behind the battery, and something that came with the kit (?). what i did, and i'm probably wrong, is i cut the (original) resistor off, took it completely out, and there were 2 wires that went to it. i crimped on the connector bits and stuck them into the outside terminals on the new switch. when you refer to "resistor" that came with the kit, is it a wire that goes between the two terminals (welded) on the switch with a computery- thing on it? (i hope someone knows what i'm talking about) if this thing isnt the resistor, then i didnt get one. if it is, does it eliminate the need to stick the (original) resistor in there somewhere? or do i need both? anyways, the kit seems to work just fine, but i get a power light blinking when i startup, so i think i did something wrong. anyone want to correct me here?

i agree the instructions are confusing, and i think pictures would help.

sputnik.
Sputnik,

The small resistor I referred to IS the Ò computery thing Ò welded ( soldered ) to the terminals on the switch and these are the terminals you connect to.

You have done wrong in cutting both wires to the dropping resistor, you should have cut only one wire leaving the other intact.

Replace the dropping resistor if you took it out of the car. Reconnect one of the wires you have cut back exactly to where it came from. Get hold of a screw or crimp connector to make this repair.

You will then have two wires, with one going to the resistor. Attach crimp connectors to these wires and connect them to the outer switch terminals which have the Ò computery thing Ò soldered to them. Leave the middle terminal with no connection. You should then be in busines.

P.S. RTBI or RTFI.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-17-2003 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:24 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by sputnik
http://www.smallcar.com/svx/tskinstructions.htm
Surely this should be clear enough to anyone who is literate ( i.e. who can read ) and puts a little EFFORT into understanding the text.

Read " EITHER of the wires " no mention is made regarding cutting BOTH the wires.

P.S. N.B. Brian --

It could be a good idea to add the word " one " to the word " either " so as to read, " cut either one of the wires " and even add " but not both wires ", in order to make the instructions fool proof.

Last edited by Trevor; 09-17-2003 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:58 PM
sputnik

i'm still confused

"You will then have two wires, with one going to the resistor. Attach crimp connectors to these wires and connect them to the outer switch terminals which have the Ò computery thing Ò soldered to them. Leave the middle terminal with no connection. You should then be in busines."

ok, so put the original resistor back, by taking one of the wires out and attatching it to either of the old wires off the original resistor that i cut.

but then you say attach the connectors and connect to the two outer terminals on the switch.
BUT.. if i just put one wire back to the original resistor, then that leaves only one wire left to go to both terminals of the new switch. do i need to split the remaining wire (to the switch) in half or what?
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM

Registered SVX
Sputnik, I will repeat my instructions with additions.

The small resistor I referred to IS the Ò computery thing Ò welded ( soldered ) to the terminals on the switch and these are the terminals you connect to.

You have done wrong in cutting both wires to the dropping resistor, you should have cut only one wire leaving the other intact. ----( The wire should be cut a short distance, I think the instructions say 5 inches, away from the plug which attaches to the resistor.) ---

Replace the dropping resistor if you took it out of the car. Reconnect one of the wires you have cut back exactly to where it came from.------ (Connect it back to the way it was before you cut it using a screw or crimp connector to make this repair, You will find the insulation covering on the wires coloured and you should connect together wires with the same colours.) ---- Get hold of a screw or crimp connector to make this repair.

You will then have two wires,---- (The ends of the remaining wire which you cut.) ---- with one going to the resistor.---- (Via the plug which plugs into the resistor behind the battery.) ---- Attach crimp connectors to these wires and connect them to the outer switch terminals which have the Ò computery thing Ò soldered to them. Leave the middle terminal with no connection. You should then be in business.

You now say : -- Ò BUT.. if i just put one wire back to the original resistor, then that leaves only one wire left to go to both terminals of the new switch. do i need to split the remaining wire (to the switch) in half or what? Ò

In a previous post you stated : - Ò what i did, and i'm probably wrong, is i cut the (original) resistor off, took it completely out, and there were 2 wires that went to it. i crimped on the connector bits and stuck them into the outside terminals on the new switch. Ò

N. B. It now occurs to me that may mean that you cut the wires close up against the plug which goes directly into the resistor, so that you now have no wires coming from the plug and resistor to connect to. If so you will have to get some new replacement wires connected back into the plug. An auto electrician should be able to do this for you. If you still do not understand what is required you should at the same time seek professional on the spot advice and if you do, copy all the instructions in this thread as well as the web site instructions and take them all with you.

Sorry, but I can give you no more assistance than that which I have now provided.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:24 PM
sputnik

OK!

i think i realized my mistake.
all i needed to do in the first place was cut one wire to the (original) resistor, and stick the switch in the gap.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:36 PM
sputnik

and at the same time i've realized what i didnt understand about the directions. in the first two lines talking about the wiring, the word "resistor" is used to describe two different things, as well as the word "connector".