How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2003, 04:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
interference engine?

Does anyone know if the svx has an interference engine? I just want know just incase my cambelt were to break. Im in the process of getting a new one now. If it isnt I might be able to put a new one in with my dad.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
non-interference
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to milesmc214
thanks

Thanks, do you know, is it hard to replace the belt yourself or is it something way out of my league.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have not done it but a number of members have and all have said it is an easy DIY. Someone here wrote up a how-to with pictures. A search should uncover it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

When you do the belt do the crank and cam seals too.

Happy belting.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:20 PM
nnjsvx

I think you mean the timing belt. You should consider changing idler pulley for the belt and the water pump at the same time. The labor to do the timing belt exposes the water pump and another 1/2 hr on top of a 3-4 hr job is worth the avoidance. For me anyway. These times are what a dealer says the book calls for and doing it yourself may be longer. My local non-dealer mechanic agrees with the timing estimate.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:45 PM
alacrity024

hang on, meow..

about two or three months ago, someone here had some pretty serious engine trouble, and as i recall, some email conversations with the folks at Subaru of America revealed that the SVX engine WAS an interference engine..

not that i'm entirely convinced, but i'm a little hesitant to just go ahead and agree..

-adam
Old 09-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Hmm... that's strange. One of the big points Subaru has made in the past about the flat-engines and their H-6 in particular was that it was a non-interference engine.

Personally I never had a timing belt go in an SVX, so I wouldn't know... but I recently had the pleasure of seeing a Honda V-6 engine stripped down after a timing-belt issue... I think I might build some sort of ornament out of the pummelled valves

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Just so you folks know I'm the one who had those serious engine problems that got screwed by #$(@@!%)# subaru in clearwater florida. ANd from the info i've gathered (and if you search for post under my member name/number you'll find the post i'm talking about) the engine in the svx is an interference engine. I know everyone and there mother on here thinks its not and everything i've read has said its not but im telling you i lost over $1000.00 on my engine blowing not even 24hrs later b/c of a supposed timing belt tensioner going. But im not going to get into that story it just makes me want to do some very drastic, very bad things so im going to stop....
Old 09-07-2003, 10:02 AM
professor_56

Hello, everybody
I'd like to add my "direct experience" to this thread. A couple of years ago, the water pump went out on my '93, taking the timing belt out with it. There were no bent valves or other damage to the engine, thank goodness. My mechanic said "It's a good thing it is not an interference engine".

P.S. That incident was 25,000 miles ago, and I haven't had any related problems from it.

Last edited by professor_56; 09-07-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Superbeast

The engine is non-iterferance, Want-a-fast, you just got screwed and BS'd so the dealer wouldn't have to except resposibility for what ever happend to your motor. ( what ever did happen with your motor?) The issue with the reprint is becouse of the 2.5DOHC motors. They were also originally called non-inter. motors becouse the pistons won't contact the valves, but as people started braking belts they found out the the valves were contacting each other and bending so they now call all there DOHC motors interference motors. But becouse the SVX motor has gears cam to cam instead of the belt, it is very unlikely that valve to valve contact will ever happen in the SVX.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Exactly! The EG33 and the EJ22 were the two non-interferrence engines that subaru made... Many argue that the EJ22 was the best engine that Subaru ever made... I dissagree and think that the EG33 and the EJ22 are the greatest engines that subaru ever made... Non-interferrence engines will always be better in my opinion... \\

Huck had his timing belt go a few months ago... He said that everything just spun down and stopped, nothing diffrent than turning your car off... Thank goodness for Non-Interferrence!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 10-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Exactly! The EG33 and the EJ22 were the two non-interferrence engines that subaru made...
You can't just stop with those 2 engines. I know first-hand that the Justy's 1.2 3-banger is a non-interference engine and for that I'm thankful.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:59 PM

Registered SVX
Bloody hell ! Next some stupid bastard is going to tell me that my FF1 pashrod motor is interference. Where in hell do these stupid notions come from.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 PM
OrthopodSvx

One month ago my water pump ate it and took out the timing belt, idler pulleys, shot little ball bearings out that melted through the timing covers... Valves are fine. Tell your bloody hell to invest in Band-Aids.

Mike.